Thread: Mazdaspeed Tire Recommendations?

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2004 MSM Titanium Grey
    Thanks Given

Mazdaspeed Tire Recommendations?

I'm new here and I recently bought an 04 Mazdaspeed. It has 205/40-17 Tiger Paw GTZ all season tires on it now but they are getting pretty worn out. Also, the fronts are 7 years old and the rears are 5 years old.
    I am looking for recommendations for replacements. From what I have seen on other posts, the Nitto Neo Gen and the Yokohama S Drive tires seem to be well thought of, but in 15" diameter. I don't know if they are still good tires in the 17" size.
    I will be using these as street tires, summer conditions. I am interested in dry and wet traction and am concerned about noise as well.
    Thanks for your help!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Your options are limited in that sizing. I had 2 sets of S-Drives on my e36M3 that were 17". They were fine in Socal, but they wore fast which I have found for all Yokohamas I have used over the years. They also became much louder as they wore, as all tires usually do. I know a few people running 16 or 17" Neogens on Miatas here in the Southeast and they like them very much. I don't know where you live, but the SE region gets a lot of rain. Both of the tires mentioned are pretty old, at least 8-10 years old. That's not bad, per se, but I don't know how they have evolved over the years, if at all (new construction, tread design, compound, etc.). I also noticed both of those tires are around the same price point. Are you looking to stay in a certain range or are the wet handling, noise, summer compound the priorities?

I noticed the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 is also in your size. It's an all season, but very, very good. I ran them as DD tires in 16" sizing on my E30 325is. I tracked on them once, too. They get greasy when they over heat, so I don't know how you would categorize your driving style. As a DD tire, they were terrific in heavy rain, stiff shoulders for crisp response, and they wore very well. They aren't cheap, but they were the best all-purpose tire, all-season tire I've ever used that could stand up to spirited street driving. They were even very good in the rare snow I had to drive in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

KevinJ (05-05-2017)

Drives
    2004 MSM Titanium Grey
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Steven,
    That is the kind of information I need. I live in Indiana and go to SW Florida for the winter and I will be taking the car to FL with me. That's where I bought it, actually. So, it should be summer type driving year round. I came up with the Yokohama and Neo Gens from a thread I saw on here. Price is a consideration, but I want safety and performance to be my main priorities. I will look at the Michelins, I wasn't aware of them.
    I have seen where others have gone to a 15" wheel and tire combination and I have to say they look good and I would probably find a better selection of tires in the 15" size, but I would like to keep the Mazdaspeed as original as possible and use the RacingHart wheels that are on it. Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks Given
    As a a former Mazdaspeed owner myself. I owuld ditch the factory wheels or put them in storage and replace them with a 15" wheel. The factory 17" wheels are quite heavy and not very durable.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grip Driver For This Useful Post:

KevinJ (05-05-2017),kung fu jesus (05-05-2017),Phatmiata (05-06-2017)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Mazdaspeed Tire Recommendations?

^ that. 15" sizing will give you more sporting options.

If you aren't too far, you could probably go to Tirerack in South Bend. I don't know if they still do it on site anymore, but I used to drive down there from west Michigan when I lived there and have them install the tires I bought. Hell, you could probably just get the whole wheel and tire combo there if they have something you like.

Those 17" RacingHarts aren't doing you any favors and you will notice the improvements of a lighter 15" wheel.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Grip Driver (05-06-2017),KevinJ (05-05-2017)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Car will feel lighter, faster, and take bumps better on the 15" wheels. Hang the 17s up in your garage as wall art

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Paul B (05-07-2017)

Drives
    2004 MSM Titanium Grey
    Thanks Given
    Okay, I to take the advice on here and ordered a set of Konig Heliums with Nitto Neo Gens in 205/50-15. Got a Memorial Day weekend deal from discounttiredirect.com. Everything will be about $650 after rebates delivered mounted, balanced, lug nuts, centering rings and the whole nine. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in the handling. Thanks!