Thread: Driven Daily NA (take 2)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! drummingpariah's Avatar
    Drives
    '75 Datsun 280z (turbo), '97 MX-5
    Thanks Given

Driven Daily NA (take 2)

Awhile back, I sold my Miata to exclusively on my hillclimb Datsun. With the first hillclimb coming back up, and the Datsun nearing completion (but not quite there), I needed something to drive so I wouldn't miss another season. Last night this showed up:

On paper, it's a 97 with silly stretched tires and stickers plastered all over the inside. Under the surface, it's rust-free with unmolested suspension and a hardtop.

As soon as the previous owner dropped it off though, it refused to start. Specifically, it refused to crank. I asked him about it, and found that the ignition wiring is the only thing he repaired on the car. I use the term "repaired" very loosely, because all he had done was replace the molex connector with loose spade connectors.

I did a little bit of diagnosis and found that he hadn't even dug down to the root of the problem. At its core, the no-start condition was caused by the rotary switch on the ignition, not the wiring connectors. I didn't have time to tear it apart and check the connections inside, but let's just say I was not excited about spending the first night with the car fixing a previous owner repair.

As soon as that's fixed, I'm moving on to the next step in hillclimb prep: The spec miata cage.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drummingpariah For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-18-2017),Hammerhead (05-16-2017),JamieH (05-16-2017),MiataQuest (05-16-2017)