Thread: Driven Daily NA (take 2)

LIKE THIS THREAD!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! drummingpariah's Avatar
    Drives
    '75 Datsun 280z (turbo), '93 MX-5
    Thanks Given

Driven Daily NA (take 2)

Awhile back, I sold my Miata to exclusively on my hillclimb Datsun. With the first hillclimb coming back up, and the Datsun nearing completion (but not quite there), I needed something to drive so I wouldn't miss another season. Last night this showed up:

On paper, it's a 97 with silly stretched tires and stickers plastered all over the inside. Under the surface, it's rust-free with unmolested suspension and a hardtop.

As soon as the previous owner dropped it off though, it refused to start. Specifically, it refused to crank. I asked him about it, and found that the ignition wiring is the only thing he repaired on the car. I use the term "repaired" very loosely, because all he had done was replace the molex connector with loose spade connectors.

I did a little bit of diagnosis and found that he hadn't even dug down to the root of the problem. At its core, the no-start condition was caused by the rotary switch on the ignition, not the wiring connectors. I didn't have time to tear it apart and check the connections inside, but let's just say I was not excited about spending the first night with the car fixing a previous owner repair.

As soon as that's fixed, I'm moving on to the next step in hillclimb prep: The spec miata cage.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drummingpariah For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-18-2017),Hammerhead (05-16-2017),JamieH (05-16-2017),MiataQuest (05-16-2017)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Last night was interesting. I'm colorblind, which means OEM wiring is my arch nemesis. Imagine trying to diagnose problems between the 'red/blue' from 'green/purple' wires ... and both looked identical from the factory. Anyone would have trouble with these 20 years later, but I generally have to take a photo of the wires, load them into an image editor, get the RGB code for the pixels on the wire, and look up what color that RGB code is.

As you might imagine, most of my cars end up with from-scratch wiring harnesses. Luckily, in this case, a friend came over to help out.

We pulled the ignition tumbler switch, disassembled it, lost the ball bearing detents (twice), somehow found them again, cleaned, and reassembled. Getting everything connected took a little while, but now the car runs reliably! I just need to find a good solution to keeping spade connectors firmly attached until I can find a replacement pigtail.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drummingpariah For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-18-2017),Paul B (05-18-2017)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Last night into this morning, I went from nothing to roll bar. I'm incredibly happy with the fitment, and this should pass tech at the hillclimb this weekend without any issues.

The plan is to keep adding tubes as time allows, and eventually get this legal to actually race hillclimbs, without being subject to breakout times.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drummingpariah For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-19-2017),JamieH (05-19-2017),MiataQuest (05-19-2017)

Drives
    Thanks Given