Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: mrpham's build

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! mrpham's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave737 View Post
    Washer bottle out of sight for a clean look and lower center of gravity. Win Win
    I'm pretty sure NBs with ABS have a washer bottle mounted in that area too. Would make for an easy fitment.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power pacman 99's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Amazing build! Can't wait to see it finished!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpham View Post
    I'm pretty sure NBs with ABS have a washer bottle mounted in that area too. Would make for an easy fitment.
    EU spec NB2s definitely don't; mine sits on top of the exhaust mani, under the strut brace.

Drives
    Crystal White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Door Cards & Other Bits - http://omgpham.com/door-cards-other-bits

Some more progress over the last few weeks.I installed new door cards and door pull. The door cards are by CarbonMiata and door pulls by Jass Performance, both products available through my store. I also went with some larger diameter speaker grills, I think it works well with the rest of the interior.

The interior wiring is now completed.

Rear lip was painted gloss black and finished mounting that up.

I used some rubber sheeting to make a gasket for the bulk head connector panel, cost a couple dollars off eBay. Than used some spray on glue to position it on the panel.

In a previous post I mentioned I had to make a jig to mount my throttle bodies, well below are more details on this. Quality of the T3 manifold isn't the greatest.*Basically because the T3 manifold doesn't have dowels and the throttle body mounting holes aren't in the correct positions, the throttle bodies were never perfectly aligned. This misalignment results in the butterflies not opening evenly. I confirmed this with a spare set of throttle bodies.

No matter what adjustments were made, the butterflies would either be out of sync at closed throttle or part/full throttle. Even adjusting the bypass screws wouldn't help.

Not too sure how important it is to have them open evenly, but it can't be a good thing if they're not...

Below shows a factory Toyota manifold with two locating dowels on each throttle body.

Throttle bodies mounted to the Toyota manifold and everything dialed in.

The jig mounted to the throttle bodies using the top holes.

Throttle bodies unbolted from the Toyota manifold and transferred to the T3 manifold. The threaded holes in the T3 manifold were not spaced correctly so I had to drill out the holes in the throttle bodies to get everything to bolt down.

Jig plate removed from the throttle bodies and trumpets installed.

Intake mounted up and injectors connected.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrpham For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (01-02-2016),HarryB (10-18-2015),oldgrayleather (10-18-2015),Phatmiata (01-28-2017)

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Wow! This may be the cleanest build ever.

Drives
    Crystal White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Back From Holidays - http://omgpham.com/back-from-holidays

After the last update, we went for a short trip. Then there was the house move.... So not a whole lot has happened with the build, but still some steps closer to start up .

I finally received my laser cutting order, the original holes for the wiring have been blocked up and the bulk head panel is done too. All three pieces were painted with a clear-over-base rattle can paint system. Turned out pretty good

Would also like to look at redoing my brake lines at some stage.

This is the Jass Performance shifter boot. They're a direct bolt in part with a much more durable boot than the Mazda item. My brand new Mazda replacement lasted just over a year. Will be doing a group buy soon for these

Interior back together.

Borrowed a friend's Pipercross air filter for testing fitting. These have an internal height of 120mm I believe, more than suitable for my 75mm velocity stacks.

But the problem is that it doesn't clear the clutch master cylinder and reservoir. I'm currently talking to a few people with some possible solutions, more info when that's sorted.

And had my HKS headers ceramic coated by Thermal Edge Coatings.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrpham For This Useful Post:

Paul B (12-15-2015),Phatmiata (01-28-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Love that shift boot. Looking forward to the group buy.

Drives
    Crystal White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Start Up! - http://omgpham.com/start-up

This was not a smooth start up.... Ran into a few issues earlier on, car would crank over and sometimes nearly run but never more than than a fraction of a second. Went through and checked through the wiring and grounds, everything was good there, a quick visual inspection of the cam gear and cam lobes to see if they were in the right positions. And a whole bunch of things....

The ECU logs showed consistent sync loss, error no. 31. Something was wrong with the cam/crank sensors. In my particular case it was caused by the crank trigger wheel being installed backwards . And I actually did check it earlier on, but checked it incorrectly!

Once I flipped that trigger wheel around, it started right away! Here's a quick video of it, more to come later!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrpham For This Useful Post:

Dave737 (01-02-2016),Paul B (12-27-2015),Phatmiata (01-28-2017)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    92 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thats awesome! Are you going to retune or dyno? Would be interested to see if the throttles being in line and opening at the same time makes any difference but I guess you would need a wideband on each runner to see

Drives
    Crystal White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Furai View Post
    Thats awesome! Are you going to retune or dyno? Would be interested to see if the throttles being in line and opening at the same time makes any difference but I guess you would need a wideband on each runner to see
    I'll re-tune it myself and will take it to the dyno later. I have a syncrometer so I can check if they're balanced, and they're all nice and balanced now, at closed and part/open throttle

Drives
    Crystal White MX-5
    Thanks Given

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrpham For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (01-02-2016),Phatmiata (01-28-2017)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BRGNA8's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 378 Posts
    Seriously love your build man. Been following on JDMST for a while now and now that I finally have an NA8 of my own, your car is an inspiration! Planning on going the ITB route way way WAY later on, but the catalyst for that was your super clean build and attention to detail (very OCD like me it seems!)

Remember seeing this at Zen Garage when you travelled from QLD to NSW way back when. I remember too just staring at it for a good 15 minutes, just looking at both the inside and out of the car!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (01-02-2016)

Drives
    Crystal White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanks man! Really appreciate it

Keen for another road trip during this year too.

Drives
    Crystal White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    omgpham.com - http://omgpham.com/thats-not-a-mod

New update time.

First off, I won the People's Choice Award at the 2016 All Japanese Day. So happy!

A few small updates to the interior.

Push button start installed in the factory cigarette port, Jass Performance shifter boot, and my new Hazard Switch Kit.

This was a custom turned part my friend made for me. It's pretty much a quick connect fitting into a barb adapter. And it's used for my temporary idling setup.

Had this piece laser cut out of aluminium to mount the modification and build plates.

I also managed to install the Pipercross C604D air filter. The adapter plate was a custom one and the filter is offset towards the front of the car by 10mm, this was done to clear the clutch master cylinder and reservoir.

And there's very little clearance, so I need to find a more compact clutch master and reservoir solution soon.

I've had side skirts on my car in the past, but I removed them because they always seems to go wavey after awhile. This was using the skirts made from ABS plastic, but I'm pretty sure the polyurethane ones will do the same. Fibreglass ones should never go wavey, but the fibreglass ones I bought ages ago were wavey out of the box. It seemed like they were moulded off a set of wavey ABS ones.

So these are some new ABS plastic ones, but modified. I had some aluminium sheet (1.5mm thick) laser cut, and folded one side to give it some rigidity. I then wire brushed both surfaces to roughen it up, and a polyurethane based adhesive was used to hold them together. Lots of clamping...

Hopefully they'll hold up, will update how it goes after summer!

Side skirts installed!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrpham For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (07-16-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (07-18-2016),Martin (07-16-2016),MiataQuest (07-18-2016),Phatmiata (01-28-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Love that aluminum insert idea for the skirts!

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121516171819202122232425 LastLast