Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp Gauge Linearization?

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Red 97' Daily Driver
    Thanks Given

Temp Gauge Linearization?

Hey guys, I want to Linearize my temp gauge on my 97'.

I found this guide:

http://hunziker.pagesperso-orange.fr...-1997MTGLP.htm

Problem is I have a set of Rev Limiter revolver gauge faces, so my minimum is 120*F, middle is 180*F and max is 250*F. The first range he shows has minimum of 120*F, but a middle of 200*F and a max of 270*F.

I tried emailing him asking for a custom range but the email failed to send as the "address doesn't exist".

Anyone know what I should do? Thanks.

EDIT:

My bad I don't think I made it clear... I mean the email listed on the page for the mod. The guy who posted the page for the mod lists his contact info saying you can contact him for custom resistance specs for a custom range. I was wondering if anyone else has done this mod and what they're results/ temp range are.
    Last edited by Brap; 07-23-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Cool idea, but aftermarket does it better?

Drives
    Red 97' Daily Driver
    Thanks Given
    Agreed, and I have an OBD2 dongle on the way to tell exact temp. I'll use that and the Torque app for my S8 when I track the car to keep an eye on exact temps, but for daily driving I would like a linear gauge as I don't like having extra gauge pods sticking about and I HATE a-pillar gauges. Also don't want to drill into my dash to mount gauge cups as my dash is a near perfect NA8 unit with 0 cracks and when I convert to an NA6 unit I would like to sell the NA8 unit.

The plan so far is to do the mod, then use the OBD2 dongles to see what temps match to what point on the gauge, further chexk this with the resistance table Wally provides and then have Adam at Rev Limiter make me a custom coolant gauge face to match the new needle sweep and temp points.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I've done the mod before in the past. And let me preface this by saying I'm extremely skilled at soldering and wiring projects.

My "linearized" gauge was basically useless after I did the mod. Sometimes it would show the right temp reading, but most of the time it would jump around and do a little dance. It wasn't at all reliable. It drove me crazy actually. I had all kinds of stress about the engine temp. So much stress that I made up a triple gauge pod for the DIN slot above my radio and put in a real water temp gauge.

I worked on that linearized gauge a few times. I swapped out the resistors for fresh ones which calmed it down for about a month. Then the new resistors got too hot or something and the bad behavior continued. It was horrible. I bought a new cluster and swapped in a fresh stock coolant gauge.

The really bad part about the linearization process on an NA8 is that you have to hack up your wiring harness and add a resistor in line there. Hard to go back from that.

So, every time a customer asks about temp gauge linearization, I try to steer them away from it. It drove me nuts. I imagine it would also drive others crazy. BUT if you absolutely must, I'd be happy to make you a gauge face with whatever temp values you desire on it.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-25-2017),Brap (07-26-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (07-25-2017),JamieH (07-25-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I had been considering doing the temp gauge linerization mod myself for a while now. But after reading Adam's experience, I think not and will just be happy with taking advantage of my car being OBD-II capable and checking the exact temp through a reader and my phone for the few times it really matters.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Samer's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Silver Miata NBFL
    Thanks Given
    Damn, this is a modification I've been planning to do for a while now, as I don't like extra gauges if the stock ones can be used for that.

The guide I found a long time ago explains a different method, I wonder if this would solve the problems that Adam is talking about?

I really really want to avoid having more extra gauges in my car, as now I have a 1-DIN 3 gauges pod that I'm happy with (oil temp, AFR, turbo pressure).

Keep in mind that I have an NB, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Here's the guide:

https://www.miataforumz.com/how-40/h...emp-gauge-245/

BONUS I also found one to have a real working oil pressure gauge in NBs and was planning to do it as well. Has anybody in here tried it? https://www.miata.net/garage/opg2/index.html

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    On NBs you can always run an Android head unit with OBDII scan reader and an app like RealDash

Idling - Listen to it purr... Samer's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Silver Miata NBFL
    Thanks Given
    I'm an analog guy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Samer For This Useful Post:

Martin (07-26-2017)

Drives
    Red 97' Daily Driver
    Thanks Given
    Samer, unfortunately the NB gauge is different from the NA one.

Adam, thank you for the advice. Did you use 5 watt resistors or 1/2 watt units like the rest of the cluster electronics? Wally may have specced 5 watt units as they are designed to handle the heat a little better.

Splicing into the wiring harness was the one thing I was worried about as that's a super tight space... If I can find a spare stock gauge I might try it but otherwise I think I'll stay away from the mod.

Drives
    Red 97' Daily Driver
    Thanks Given
    UPDATE:

I got my OBD2 dongle in today and I decided to play with it a bit. I got the BAFX Products Android only/ Bluetooth only OBD2 plugin from Amazon for only $20 And the Torque Pro app. It's an ELM327 enabled one as well.

All I have to say is HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS AMAZING. Just plug in, connect and all the data I could ever want is at my fingertips. And I found out Molly is a very happy and healthy 'Yata. I tossed in a bottle of LucasOil fuel system cleaner before my last fill up and now my P0303 code is gone, replaced by the stupid P0300 code that's a result of the TSB released for the 97's. (Nothing to worry about) (also WOW this was a 'welcome to classic car ownership' moment for me... amazing how a $5 bottle of injector cleaner could fix that...) Temp on a pretty warm day with the car stationary never reached above 205*F even with me revving her a bunch to see how fast the thing shows data. My new OPG is working very nicely and she has the OPG needle steady in the middle between the low point and 30PSI at idle when warm. Torque even has this trick HUD mode where it mirrors the display, so you set it on your dash with the screen up facing the windshield and it shows the data in the windshield! I took a night drive with it and it was wicked cool. It's like all fighter-jet and stuff. Perfect for the track honestly, just not for me 24/7 as I like a more retro and clean aesthetic. (oooooh but if I found an 80's theme for the app it would be so period correct...) But I digress.

So now I have a good baseline to see the difference after I flush the coolant and install my LRB Speed Undertray.

Thanks Adam for the advice and honestly screw linearizing the stock gauge. If I'm really paranoid about temp I'll just pop in the dongle and fire up the app.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brap For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-28-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (07-26-2017),JamieH (07-27-2017)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I used the huge 5 watt resistors. Not much room for them in there. That's the only reason I remember this (I did the mod about 15 years ago). Shoehorning those enormous resistors into place and giving them enough room was not too easy.

Awesome that your OBD2 gauge is working for ya!! That's a far better solution than the resistor mod.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    The Torque Pro app is great! I have been using for a few years now. What HUD display are you referring to?
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I agree with Chad. Torque Pro is not very aesthetically pleasing, but with a custom Launcher and Torque widgets, you can make an awesome screen. Experimenting on this front a bit lately... For the moment I have enabled Torque audio warnings. Then a nice lady voice lets me know when "Engine operating temperature reached" or "engine warm" etc. It even overrides the radio/gps playing at the same head unit.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    The Torque Pro app is great! I have been using for a few years now. What HUD display are you referring to?
    I think he meant the track recorder fearure. It overlays data on the video.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    Red 97' Daily Driver
    Thanks Given
    No I mean the actual HUD mode as in Heads-Up-Display. When you're in the real time information menu click the settings wheel and do "Toggle HUD Mode" and it reflects the display so you can put it on the dash at night and see the gauges in the window or use a HUD panel like this: https://www.digitaltrends.com/buying...d-up-displays/

The aesthetics are... not the best but I could care less. I can see the numbers well and my phone can run the graphics with minimal effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast