View Poll Results: Should Mazda have taken the Retro design route for the ND MX-5?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retro all the way

6 20.69%
  • Present design, they say you can't go back

21 72.41%
  • Maybe they could have designed something better

2 6.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Should Mazda have taken the Retro design route for the ND MX-5?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I wanted to point out, too, that there are a lot of vastly different regulations and requirements for modern cars that would make a retro-styled NA or NB difficult to execute. Pedestrian crash regulations for one, let alone the packaging of a FR engine and drivetrain configuration. Mazda engineers made a huge effort to produce a modern, functional, lightweight car that was congruent to their other products. I don't think that is really appreciated in a technical aspect enough. Consider the amount of added safety equipment, infotainment, insulation, and chassis rigidity the ND has over it's predecessors. That the styling would be as unique and true to the original formula of the first Miatas realeased in '89 is really a tremendous feat.
    This! I still am amazed that they were able to do all of that and keep it as light as they did! The fact that is weighs about what an NA does and it has all the creature comforts and safety features of a modern day car is incredible!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    They definitely achieved a lot in regards to keeping it light but still comfortable inside... And as said considering they managed to squeeze what four or six air bags in there too..... Uncanny....

There is some good that comes out of the Fiat, it shares the exact same interior as the ND, but is covered in luxurious Italian leather and finesse.... I reckon the panels would bolt straight up, carbon copies...
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I really like the exterior of the ND, and the fact that it is/looks really small and tidy compared to the 124. However, I have been in an Abarth 124 and the interior is amazing indeed in terms of finishing. And those Recaro seats...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    '92 black & Tan Miata
    Thanks Given
    Despite the fact that I'm not all that excited about the exterior of the ND, I think the interior is as nice a design as any car out there. It's really top notch without being fussy in any way. I couldn't have asked for a nicer interior design (again, just my opinion).

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone TNRooster3's Avatar
    Drives
    chaste White, 1996 R2-Limited Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    I like the overall design of both exterior and interior, just don't like the infotainment package, wish it was an option only, to me it looks strange sticking up in the dash. Also waiting on different colors to come out and hopefully some Special / Limited editions with different goodies IE: Special colors and / or interiors like Mazda did with 1995 Laguna Blue and Tan or 93LE, And a Mazdaspeed with a factory turbo in Blazing Yellow with a black stripe or Candy Apple Red with light Gray seats would be really nice!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-19-2017)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Thanks Given
    Retro all the way for me!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MX5Wisher's Avatar
    Drives
    Fast as I can
    Thanks Given
    Personally I like it the way it is. Either soft top or RF. Having seen an RF in person is it sleek and aggressive to me. I like it the way that it is. They have pulled of a bit of an 'expensive' design style with the sweeping lines, and the aggressive face. I love every part of it, it is just the perfect modern car to me. IMHO it looks better than some of the newer Ferrari's, Lambo's and even Mercs. The only thing is, is that the designer(s) really just needed to get loose and go f*** it and throw any colour they could think of at it. Something rash, bashful and that makes a statement in the world of colours chosen from a Rock wall, and insired by the roads it will drive on. Grey and bleak.

(On a side note, who the hell designed that hardtop. It really looks repulsive and f***s the flow and design of the ND up.)

That was a bit of a ramble but oh well.

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MX5Wisher View Post
    On a side note, who the hell designed that hardtop. It really looks repulsive and f***s the flow and design of the ND up.
    Hardtops are almost always an after thought to give people choices and appeal to the few people that might otherwise have not been interested without a hardtop option, people expect too much nowadays. They want a comfortable grand tourer that's also sporty with loads of feedback...

They've designed the RF and Softop exclusively to what people want. I can't see why someone would buy a softwood with the optional hardtop when the RF exists. A huge chunk of Miata owners would love a fastback option, enough that a lot of people have attempted to make their own, they have listened to the community which is impressive, most car makers build what they want, not what the people buying them want.

That, and the side profile of the car looks amazing. Some of us just can't afford a 911

I'll say it again though, the ND is the ONLY car on the market right now that I'd buy new

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

MX5Wisher (12-29-2017)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    There was the Ibuki concept in the early/mid '00s that demonstrated Mazda considered retro styling for the NC.

0311_ibuki_m3.jpg

Design has so many subjective and objective constraints that the styling is really sort of the easy/fun part. I think of the NC as a late bloomer. Its not a horrible car, just too much of a departure from the previous two generations that people dismissed it too readily. It also shared the RX8 platform, which was also a departure. The NC Miata is much like the 996 Porsche 911. Purists hated the car and Porsche designed it to share many other parts and components with other cars in their product lineup. It lost some of it's uniqueness, but helped save the company from collapse. As the NC evolved through a few styling updates, and mechanical improvements, I started to appreciate it more. I am especially fond of the NC3s. I "get it" now.

Mazda was torn between distinctly different consumer bases with the Miata after the NC came out. It saw the fans of the older models, mostly younger drivers, and the fans of the newer model (NC) and they were older drivers. How do please both groups when you want to draw the younger drivers to buying the new one without alienating the other? Add in a global financial crisis, slumping sales, segment market competition, and a huge, upcoming generation emerging as dominant consumers, it's a minefield.

Every marque has models that are controversial. The Porsche example, BMW breaking new ground with their "flame surfacing" design language, even Mercedes is altering their language, where all three are typically more evolutionary in their model progression, versus revolutionary. I think if you look at Mazda products as a whole, among the generations, the ND fits the family of products as closely as the NB did for it's time (look at the MX6, 929, RX-7), but the Miata has never set the language for them, it's not their top line car. The NB follows the design of the previous mentioned cars, and the ND is following a similar path, though in short order.

The interior of the ND is really quite good, but it frustrates me that Mazda is so conservative with it in terms of material, colors, and finishes. It BEGS to be bold, but it's quite reserved. It's either for cost, or conservation. They need the ND to be successful for the model to continue. I suspect they may open it up a bit if it is. For now, they are relying on their engine technology and success of other models (CX lineup, Mazda 3 & 6) to carry them through. The Miata is a small segment car that just happens to sell well because of it's formula.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-27-2017),DarylSibcy (12-27-2017),MX5Wisher (12-29-2017),RustRat (12-27-2017)

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    +1

Whilst on the topic of the new engine tech, I recently read somewhere that the next generation (or revision) of their SkyActiv engines were to be built with an 18:1 compression ratio and not use spark plugs

If they pull that off then damn, that's a milestone

Idling - Listen to it purr... Irishguy's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1995 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylSibcy View Post
    +1

Whilst on the topic of the new engine tech, I recently read somewhere that the next generation (or revision) of their SkyActiv engines were to be built with an 18:1 compression ratio and not use spark plugs

I believe they already have pulled it off if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding the styling of the ND...

I'm more of a Retro guy myself and am drawn to the classic lines of years gone by and although it is a bit contrived, I like it when cars like the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger are designed to draw upon their heritage.

I saw that mock up of the retro inspired ND a while ago and I thought, "What a shame." That said I like the design of the ND as it is. It stands on its own to me.

Seeing the design direction that Mazda is heading with the latest concept cars and it is difficult not to get excited about the next generation of the MX-5. If it looks half as beautiful as the last two Mazda concept cars it will be a hit out of the ball park.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Irishguy For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (12-27-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylSibcy View Post
    +1

If they put it into a Miata, they would probably tune it to 155 hp

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (12-27-2017)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Yes, I read about the ignitionless engines Mazda is developing, it's very interesting!

I think something to consider is that the NA Miata is styled very closely from British roadsters of the 60s. If you consider the Mustang and Camaro as original designs, then their current designs that nod to their origins makes sense (love the new Mustang, BTW). Mazda really had to move forward because a retro design styled from other retro designs is really muddy. They learned some valuable lessons from the NC, so I think the ND is a great correction towards the future.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I think Mazda is tone deaf to the American consumer. Being Japan’s smallest car company that could, you would think they’d listen to 20 years of feedback and install the same 360hp motor in the Miata as they did their Speed3s.

No todo que es oro brilla.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

DarylSibcy (12-28-2017),MiataQuest (12-28-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    I think Mazda is tone deaf to the American consumer. Being Japan’s smallest car company that could, you would think they’d listen to 20 years of feedback and install the same 360hp motor in the Miata as they did their Speed3s.
    The modern concept of Mazda's horse & rider as one.

I think Mazda should have installed the 2.5 liter engine. That would have been ideal for power & torque while having control at the limit with a normal aspirated engine.
    Then later offered a turbo version.
    Both being out of their parts bin.

If I would guess, the reason they did not do that is because of the Fiat 124 version. They did not want to significantly out-shine that model.
    But in retrospect, they should have gone it alone and shot for BRZ/Toyota 86 market share to get production volume rather than the Fiasta option.
    Last edited by MiataQuest; 12-28-2017 at 01:12 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

MX5Wisher (12-29-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast