Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Gimbal vents (AC vents)

LIKE THIS THREAD!

  1. #1
    1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    2000 NB Special Edition burgundy
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    96
    Thanks Given
    15
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Gimbal vents (AC vents)

    Am I to understand that over time the gimbal vents on the dash tend to get loose and droop?

    My new NB has the left two vents sort of frozen in action by some foreign product being wedged between the vent and its socket.

    Is there a solution to the loose vents that allow them to be directed about as intended?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    🏎
    Location
    SWFL
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    16,528
    Thanks Given
    2,554
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Just to confirm your understanding, Miata vents will indeed droop after 17 years.
    Agent☣Orange II

    "No bueno..." Mrs. Phatmiata

  3. #3
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    352
    Thanks Given
    43
    Thanked 133 Times in 79 Posts
    There are little felt strips that just wear with age that are supposed to provide enough friction to make the vent stay in place. The easiest and cheapest fix is to pop the vent out and place a small piece of electrical tape next to the felt. That is what I did and it works well. Another option is to peel the felt off, put a piece of double sided tape down and readhere the felt.

    To pop the eyeball vent out you need a shoelace, or a thin piece of rope. You put it through the top of the vent and use a hook to pull in back through the bottom of the vent. Grab both ends and give a firm tug straight out and the ball will pop free. Installation is just pushing the ball into the socket until it pops in place.

    You can google Miata vent fix to find a video showing steps on how to resolve the issue.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

    kevinharrop (11-13-2017),tsingson (11-13-2017)

  5. #4
    96-BRG BRGNA8's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,408
    Thanks Given
    900
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by riefdaddy View Post
    There are little felt strips that just wear with age that are supposed to provide enough friction to make the vent stay in place. The easiest and cheapest fix is to pop the vent out and place a small piece of electrical tape next to the felt. That is what I did and it works well. Another option is to peel the felt off, put a piece of double sided tape down and readhere the felt.

    To pop the eyeball vent out you need a shoelace, or a thin piece of rope. You put it through the top of the vent and use a hook to pull in back through the bottom of the vent. Grab both ends and give a firm tug straight out and the ball will pop free. Installation is just pushing the ball into the socket until it pops in place.

    You can google Miata vent fix to find a video showing steps on how to resolve the issue.
    Ice hockey sports tape works very well
    Follow on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/96BRG

    Follow on Instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/96BRG

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

    kevinharrop (11-13-2017),riefdaddy (11-13-2017),tsingson (11-13-2017)

  7. #5
    Super Moderator tsingson's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Location
    RTP, NC
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    14,091
    Thanks Given
    8,700
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,047 Posts
    I changed over to Mitsu Eclipse vents. There is some modification to get them to work. Nothing major. They work great especially in completely closing off any vents that aren't being used.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

    kevinharrop (11-13-2017),RotorNutFD3S (11-13-2017)

  9. #6
    1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    2000 NB Special Edition burgundy
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    96
    Thanks Given
    15
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Lots of good stuff there, thanks.

  10. #7
    1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    2000 NB Special Edition burgundy
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    96
    Thanks Given
    15
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Just to confirm your understanding, Miata vents will indeed droop after 17 years.
    Not an example of good industrial design.

  11. #8
    6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    2000 Brilliant Black
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,983
    Thanks Given
    1,643
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 688 Posts
    if you are pulling NB vents, be careful. They are a PITA. There are enough how-tos out there.

  12. #9
    Administrator Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    🏎
    Location
    SWFL
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    16,528
    Thanks Given
    2,554
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Definitely do not fish string through and yank. Slide a couple of durable plastic sleeves on either side which unlocks the tabs and the vent practically pops out.
    Agent☣Orange II

    "No bueno..." Mrs. Phatmiata

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

    tsingson (11-14-2017)

  14. #10
    1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    2000 NB Special Edition burgundy
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    96
    Thanks Given
    15
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Definitely do not fish string through and yank. Slide a couple of durable plastic sleeves on either side which unlocks the tabs and the vent practically pops out.
    The tabs are at 9 o clock and 3 o clock, yes?

    Thanks.

  15. #11
    Ninja Messiah kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Mariner
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8,606
    Thanks Given
    1,430
    Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,998 Posts

    Gimbal vents (AC vents)

    On my NA, I normally use a length of mechanic’s wire bent in half, about 12-18” overall. Feed it through, pull it out so the two halves of the wire are 180* apart on the vent, then pull strongly straight back.

    BTW, drooping vents aren’t poor industrial design, that’s engineering and execution (manufacturing).

  16. #12
    6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    2000 Brilliant Black
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,983
    Thanks Given
    1,643
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 688 Posts
    also, 17 years is not a bad lifespan for a piece of felt. Many car manufacturers can't keep their vehicles rolling for that long.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

    HarryB (11-17-2017),Paul B (11-17-2017)

  18. #13
    Administrator Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    🏎
    Location
    SWFL
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    16,528
    Thanks Given
    2,554
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,537 Posts
    My new Civic’s vents droop when it gets hot inside which is every day. Pretty sorry compared to a Miata’s vents.

    Yes, tabs at 3 and 9. I did a photo-intensive writeup on the whole tool-creation, vent removal process many, many years ago but thanks to PhotoSuckit, it’s all lost.
    Agent☣Orange II

    "No bueno..." Mrs. Phatmiata

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

    HarryB (11-18-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •