Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price check on Supercharged 97 Miata

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I dont include labor, nor maintenance because that $$ is thrown away with ownership of ANY car, same for wear and tear items, & expenses. Thats just me though.

(My Opinion Only)

Here is the value of the parts listed on the used market (this is what im seeing in that list) $3850 (that is mods only) again I dont include maintenance, labor, nor wear tear items, sorry.

Also check the carfax to make sure its not a salvage title, flood damage, or other red flags. Let the buyer beware speech etc etc

KBB has an estimated value of $2887 to $4269

So basically .....
    $3500 for the Miata
    $3800 for the mods

$7300 total,
    $6200 asking price

Seems fair to me!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-20-2017)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I went back to look at this. Here are a few things that make me question the value:

With those supporting mods, the dyno seems a little low. As mentioned above, I would want a compression done independently or do it in person myself.

The pics of the undercarriage, the rust on the control arms, endlinks, and axles...that car was driven in the winter on salted roads. I can guarantee that car will have holes in the rockers soon.

No shots of the seats, in a tan interior car, the leather is likely shredded or poor, it would make me suspicious that the seller wouldn't show them.

I have no idea who that tuner is or Flim Flam (really?).

The poor paint repair, top, lack of images, the seller is selling something of a project car to recoup poor choices or poor maintenance. $6k is a decent price, but I would expect a lot of reconditioning to be needed. To me, the undercarriage would make me walk away.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-21-2017)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! NeverEnough's Avatar
    Drives
    Hellcat, 04 MSM & TL
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I went back to look at this. Here are a few things that make me question the value:

With those supporting mods, the dyno seems a little low. As mentioned above, I would want a compression done independently or do it in person myself.

The pics of the undercarriage, the rust on the control arms, endlinks, and axles...that car was driven in the winter on salted roads. I can guarantee that car will have holes in the rockers soon.

No shots of the seats, in a tan interior car, the leather is likely shredded or poor, it would make me suspicious that the seller wouldn't show them.

I have no idea who that tuner is or Flim Flam (really?).

The poor paint repair, top, lack of images, the seller is selling something of a project car to recoup poor choices or poor maintenance. $6k is a decent price, but I would expect a lot of reconditioning to be needed. To me, the undercarriage would make me walk away.
    He sent me interior pics. Seats are good. He says PO did the bad touch up job. 160 WHP is on par with that setup on a conservative tune.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NeverEnough For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (12-20-2017)

Drives
    Hellcat, 04 MSM & TL
    Thanks Given
    I passed on the car @ $6200. He seems to think he has a goldmine yet he admitted to me I was the only one who replied. Market dictates value. I told him please reach out of the price comes down. The search continues!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone ScratchNSniff's Avatar
    Drives
    Miata, Pilot, Civics...
    Thanks Given
    Id be completely open to travel if I were you. I go all up and down the East Coast and Middle of the US picking up cars and do it often...to get a good deal you will generally have to jump on it and again as KFJ said earlier really need to know exactly what you are looking for so there is no settling on something...if it is a great deal, its not gonna last...super clean car w/ maintenance records and solid modifications is going to go quick if the price is right...so quick most of the time that you won't even have the time to make a thread here and on Miata.net before you are so far down the line it is gone...

Don't be afraid to snag a 1-way plane ticket out of town if it looks like a winner...up and down East Coast from SC majority of them flying out of a small airport close to the house are usually $150 or so just about anywhere...again though, it is extremely hard without a list of "must haves" to help with what may be out there...

Drives
    Hellcat, 04 MSM & TL
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ScratchNSniff View Post
    Id be completely open to travel if I were you. I go all up and down the East Coast and Middle of the US picking up cars and do it often...to get a good deal you will generally have to jump on it and again as KFJ said earlier really need to know exactly what you are looking for so there is no settling on something...if it is a great deal, its not gonna last...super clean car w/ maintenance records and solid modifications is going to go quick if the price is right...so quick most of the time that you won't even have the time to make a thread here and on Miata.net before you are so far down the line it is gone...

Don't be afraid to snag a 1-way plane ticket out of town if it looks like a winner...up and down East Coast from SC majority of them flying out of a small airport close to the house are usually $150 or so just about anywhere...again though, it is extremely hard without a list of "must haves" to help with what may be out there...
    See my WTb ad for what I want then. ;) I know exactly what I want. I'm in no hurry here. As I said before, I have traveled for many cars & will again. This one was in VA so yea. Moving on...

Drives
    Hellcat, 04 MSM & TL
    Thanks Given
    Hmm, the seller just came back to me saying $5900 AS IS no lower since he really wants whatever Vette he's looking at.
    I wonder if he would still drive the Miata up here since that Vette is in York, PA.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Hard pass.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Roadster7 (12-23-2017)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    It sounds like you really want it no matter what is said. I can wait for pictures when you get it.

Drives
    Hellcat, 04 MSM & TL
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    It sounds like you really want it no matter what is said. I can wait for pictures when you get it.
    lol I'm on the fence to be honest. It'll be parked till spring so I have time to find a used good top on frame. It's just a matter of is the car worth $5900 in current condition. It seems well sorted & maintained mechanically.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12