Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The wife's new ride

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    No pictures of the damage just yet. I visited two body shops yesterday, haven't received the estimate from the one place (I've used them in the past to paint various bits for the Miata) but the dealer quoted $977.

It is a nice day here so I took the opportunity to take a drive down one of my favorite Miata roads to do a comparison. The park where I have taken pictures of the Miata is on the way so I stopped in. Here is how she looks with the wheels done:

I am expecting some flat black valve stem caps today so the only thing shiny will be the lug nuts.

Picture of the coating in progress:

The red pieces are the plastic cards I bought to use specifically for this. Finally, guess where the factory wheels are made?

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Are those the BadYear F1 run-flat tires? How old are they?

No todo que es oro brilla.

Thanks Given
    Yes they are. The car is a 2016, so you know, two years old. Most phones have calculators on them if your math skills are lacking.

I am looking for something to replace them with by the end of the summer, don't need really high performance tires for the wife, just something that she can safely drive on when it is colder. I'm leaning towards some Generals after the good experience I have had with their products.

Thanks Given
    Are you making fun of my arithmatik skills now? You know I spend Friday nights drinking beer in my garage and answering MazdarRoadster.net fan mail.

Anyway, your BadYears were probably made in 2015, maybe even 2014 and turn hard quickly. God forbid you touch the gas pedal when it's raining. They're also loud. Get rid of them of go with Michelin Pilot Sport or Continentals and a tow plan (that you'll never use, probably). They'll change the feel of the car that you will notice.

Thanks Given
    My phone has a calculator?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (05-26-2018)

Thanks Given
    Thanks for the info on the GYs. I have noticed the car is quick to slip and slide at low speeds but figured it was due to the prodigious torque underneath my foot. I will say the car felt isolated from the road when I took it down my favorite Miata road the other day. I chalked it up to the extra weight it carries but the tires could certainly be a factor. Any replacements will be normal tires but I have to work to a budget as well as having some that can handle cooler temperatures so the wife can drive her baby and I won't have to worry about her losing control.

Living in Florida you can always use your toes to count if you can't figure out the calculator...
    Last edited by chiefmg; 05-30-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

The wife's new ride

I don’t know if they are in your size, or your budget, but I loved the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my e30 and my wife’s car. I stick with that brand for her stuff just because it been so consistent and good, even when it shouldn’t be. They are spendy, but it’s one less thing I worry about if she goes out in colder weather when snow/ice/rain is present.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (05-28-2018)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT
    Thanks Given
    You guys down there talking about "cold weather"! <snicker>

My Escape will need at least two tires before the next snow season, so I went on-line to get an idea of what kind of price tag to expect. Yowza! What do they make these out of, unicorn hyde?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    I ran Michelin Super Pilot Sports spring, summer, and fall on my 1987 Audi 5000 Quattro. Excellent in the rain and they handled well. They were really good for late fall rally's on the twisty roads of the Ohio 555 with the Columbus Audi Club.

For a person that enjoys their car, they are worth the extra money.

I did not think the Super Pilot Sports were very good in the snow. I ran Bridgestone Blizzaks as dedicated snow tires in the winter.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Pilot Sport A/S 3 are two different tires. The A/S 3s are all-seasons. We received a few decent snowfalls in Raleigh to test them thoroughly and successfully.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I don’t know if they are in your size, or your budget, but I loved the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my e30 and my wife’s car. I stick with that brand for her stuff just because it been so consistent and good, even when it shouldn’t be. They are spendy, but it’s one less thing I worry about if she goes out in colder weather when snow/ice/rain is present.
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate everyone who has given feedback on different tires. I am going to go with the General AS-05. I have had different Generals on several cars and they have all performed great. Price point is good and the handling/wear has impressed me. We don't need dedicated snow tires as this is a for-fun car, but I need something that will let her drive safely when the temperatures are colder. I'll report back on how they are once I get them installed and scrubbed in. Earlier tonight I got grief from the wife for accelerating across a four lane to get clear of traffic, there may have been some tire squealing noises generated. It was all in the name of safety, not because I am 16 years old when driving a car of such power.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-28-2018),kung fu jesus (05-28-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Acceleration friction testing. You know, for science. ;)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (05-29-2018)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Acceleration friction testing. You know, for science. ;)
    That wouldn't fly with my wife. At least she didn't beat on me when it happened.

Pulled the trigger on a set of General AS-05s from Discount Tire Direct. Price was better than Tire Rack with free shipping, although they don't include road hazard insurance like TR does. Memorial Day sale means we also get $75 rebate so final cost is $660.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (05-29-2018)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Earlier tonight I got grief from the wife for accelerating across a four lane to get clear of traffic, there may have been some tire squealing noises generated. It was all in the name of safety, not because I am 16 years old when driving a car of such power.
    What’s the point of all that torque if not for clearing traffic, passing and highway onramps?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (05-31-2018)

Thanks Given
    While I agree with that perspective my wife does not. At least, not if she isn't driving. True story, she told me that she feels like our CX-5 is anemic now when she goes to pass someone. I told her she just has to adjust to the different vehicle dynamics.

New tires showed up today. Will get them mounted tomorrow, I'll report back with some impressions once I get them scrubbed in. Also set to take her to the body shop on Monday.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast