Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The wife's new ride

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Corvettes, pfft. How much did you die inside drilling holes in your car? I do like those sidemarkers. I have something similar on the RX-8, they have clear lenses and the backing piece is painted body color so they blend in.

Today went to the dealer to get some wiper blades and an oil filter. By all accounts the factory wiper blades are good and last (which they should for the price). This afternoon I removed a couple of pins from the passenger seatback to allow it to recline more. Lots of speculation as to why Chevy limited the recline but I know my wife will hate a long trip if she can't lay back some. It was just a little PITA to do, would have been easier if I had sharper drill bits but having a Dremel sort of offset that.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    No fear at all. The splash guards extend into the wheel wells and once attached to the fender with 3M tape, I just drilled four holes into the black plastic wheel well lining and inserted the included push pins. It’s an OEM GM kit so it fits perfectly. Most higher trim levels already have these installed but I chose a completely base car this time.

Oh, not pictured but I did convert all the side markers to flash as turn signals like I did my Miata back in the day. I’ll have to shoot some video when I finally do my write up. Very cool effect.

Speaking of annoying Chevy quirks, manual-transmission Vettes have what’s called skip shift. It would physically block you from going from first to second if moving less than 25mph (I think) but directs you to fourth instead which is very frustrating. I heard it was done for to increase the official mileage rating but who knows. Of course, there is a little aftermarket kit that will override this “feature.”

No todo que es oro brilla.

Thanks Given
    I'm familiar with the skip shift feature. Having an auto we don't have that, but we do have the AFM (automatic fuel management) that drops the engine to 4 cylinders under some conditions. I haven't seen a problem with it but many on the Camaro forum do. It also has an electronic aftermarket solution.

Thanks Given
    Drove to Savannah today. Except for getting rained on some through the mountains (of course I washed it this morning) it was a good trip. The one complete tank we burned through netted us 29 mpg. Gotta love multi-gear transmissions and cylinder deactivation.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (05-09-2018)

Thanks Given
    BTW, that bra is great. I had a little trouble getting the snaps to release this morning, but it rinsed right off in the shower. Let it dry and it'll be good to go again. They only make them for select vehicles but if you have one they cover and do a lot of long distance trips I highly recommend it.

Thanks Given
    Just ordered the PlastiDip kit for her wheels. The wife wants black, I came across black sapphire which I think will be a nicer touch (and maybe sort of match up to the smoked lights that are on there) so that is what I bought. Hey, if she doesn't like it I'll tell her she can peel it off. With her nails, I doubt she would (although the woman is full of surprises).

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Just ordered the PlastiDip kit for her wheels. The wife wants black, I came across black sapphire which I think will be a nicer touch (and maybe sort of match up to the smoked lights that are on there) so that is what I bought. Hey, if she doesn't like it I'll tell her she can peel it off. With her nails, I doubt she would (although the woman is full of surprises).
    She'd do it on one wheel - partially. Then go get a high end mani/pedi in retaliation. ;)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (05-16-2018)

Thanks Given
    More likely, she'd get a couple of the grandsons to do the job for her.

I ordered some plastic cards marketed for tire protection while painting wheels. Received the plastic cards today, so will be able to color the wheels once the Miata work is done (and the weather cooperates).

Took some pictures last night after arriving home, excuse the offset in the first one. You can see the smoked sidemarkers and the bra. In the second picture you can see how well the bra works keeping crap off the front.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    That bra does look wonky (aside from a clear bra, I don't know what wouldn't), but it also looks very easy to collapse and unlike those semi-permanent ones, doesn't look like it'll leave an army of scratches once it comes off.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (05-17-2018)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    I'm going to go crank A Flock Of Seagulls and revisit this thread.

P.S. Is your neighbor really wearing pink short-shorts and white socks with sandals?

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    I'm going to go crank A Flock Of Seagulls and revisit this thread.

P.S. Is your neighbor really wearing pink short-shorts and white socks with sandals?
    Possibly. He's an idiot. Every time they have a garage sale (at least once a month) all their customers park in the cul-de-sac despite a sign quite clearly stating this is not allowed. When I put a sign up on our mailbox also stating this he took it off. Very inconsiderate people.

Bryan, the bra is extremely stretchy. As in, you have to snap one side on and then pull it over to the other side. No marring of the finished so far, and I didn't notice any buffeting while driving. I am going to lube the snaps as a couple gave me trouble coming off.

A nice sunny day, so of course I washed it again. Needed to get some sap and other marks off the paint from our trip. Pretty much got the majority of the marks off by gently scrubbing with my wash mitt. I used the last of my RaggTop cleaner so will have to source more of that. On to the Miata for the rest of the day.

Thanks Given
    Jacked her up tonight, pulled the wheels and cleaned same preparatory to tomorrow's coating (well, if the rain doesn't come). While it is up there I inspected the brakes (all good with plenty of meat left on the pads). I'm also going to change the oil while it is suspended, lifting this car is a royal PITA. Can't use my QuickJack (not long enough) so had to do it the old-fashioned way. Luckily I shouldn't have to lift it often.

Thanks Given
    Today started off well but ended like shit. Got the wheels dipped, oil changed, the smoked tail lights finally showed up so I got those installed. Went to the store, when I got home and was pulling into the drive I managed to hit the rear of the CX-5 with the rear fender of the Camaro. Put some nice dings in it. Not really any damage to the CX as the impact was strictly to the bumper cover (I will have to buff out the white marks). I am not very happy with myself right now. Just went out to the garage and noticed the backup lights were lit on the Camaro. Come to find out the guy I bought them from had installed LED bulbs. I remember reading about this being an option with one vendor, now I have to investigate to see what I might need to let them work correctly. In the meantime I pulled the normal bulbs out of the red tails and put those in.

Tomorrow I will be calling the dealer we bought it from to see if they have a good PDR guy (if it can even be fixed that way).

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Oh man...bummer

Hope you get it all sorted out!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (05-25-2018)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast