Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Swaps & Modified Engines Thread - 2018 Edition!!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    If I were to do a complete engine swap I would do an LFX.

I love my supercharged (MP62 Roots) 1.8. Big throttle body on the 'charger inlet, 550cc injectors w/Megasquirt, flat top intake manifold, Mazdaspeed 4-2-1 header, Roadster Sport midpipe w/high flow cat and RB dual outlet muffler. I am in the process of swapping cylinder heads to one that is ported/polished along with a JDM intake cam (would be done except for illness/cold). We'll see how that changes things, but as it was the off-idle grunt was great. Always felt like a bigger engine in response and driveability. The sound as the supercharger spins up is like no other. Looking forward to seeing how it changes with the new head.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (02-11-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    A few pictures of a Jag V6 swap happening Stateside. (Is a Lincoln LS the same?)

Last edited by MiataQuest; 02-11-2018 at 05:03 PM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given
    20180211_110839.jpg

This is the power mod I did to my car last weekend. Not sure what went wrong where... this car had about 2000 miles on it at this point.

DIGI0017.JPG

That is the piston, and the dark spot is a hole. I stuck the camera down the hole and found this:

DIGI0016.JPG

That is the small end of the rod. It looked like it was bent almost 180° on the inspection camera.

I have done roots, rotrex, and turbo Miatas. Now I think it will be a swap and legal here. No matter what I do it will be years before it runs again.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Satisaii View Post
    20180211_110839.jpg

This is the power mod I did to my car last weekend. Not sure what went wrong where... this car had about 2000 miles on it at this point.

DIGI0017.JPG

That is the piston, and the dark spot is a hole. I stuck the camera down the hole and found this:

DIGI0016.JPG

That is the small end of the rod. It looked like it was bent almost 180° on the inspection camera.

I have done roots, rotrex, and turbo Miatas. Now I think it will be a swap and legal here. No matter what I do it will be years before it runs again.
    Wow! Is this on your NA, John? Never seen a rod do that in these engines!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given
    It is my 91 with a Rotrex. We are not sure if it is small problem with knock over the life of the engine or a sudden failure. This engine was detuned with a good safety margin and not beat on like our race cars.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I don’t particularly care for V8 Miatas. I would buy a Corvette and be done. The dimensions of the car (wheelbase) and the power just don’t make a lot of sense. Every one I have ever seen on the track was a rolling roadblock and the driver was exercising extreme caution with throttle inputs. That is sort of the opposite I know and want to drive a Miata.
    I would generally agree with this. Putting down the power, especially out of low speed corners, requires much caution. On top of that, you're braking a lot more going into the corner, so you have to get that right too. But now that there's EFR6258 or 6758 cars making as much hp and torque as my LS2, I don't think it's much different.

If I had to do it over again I'd probably go LFX also since it has enough power, better revs, and doesn't sound like my truck.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts

The car I mentioned in my first post; love how tidy the LFX sits in there!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

DarylSibcy (02-19-2018),RustRat (02-19-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    I'm all for the V6 conversions, slowly being persuaded

I'm even more tempted by the fact a V6 will be lighter than the iron block 4 cylinder that's currently under the hood
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by druz View Post
    I would generally agree with this. Putting down the power, especially out of low speed corners, requires much caution. On top of that, you're braking a lot more going into the corner, so you have to get that right too. But now that there's EFR6258 or 6758 cars making as much hp and torque as my LS2, I don't think it's much different.

If I had to do it over again I'd probably go LFX also since it has enough power, better revs, and doesn't sound like my truck.
    Agreed, and not even from an experienced racer. A V8 Miata is an awesome curiosity but even a stock Corvette is dangerous on the slightest curve with an owner with the slightest experience.

No todo que es oro brilla.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT
    Thanks Given
    I am seriously considering the 2.5 swap. I have to let them know by the middle of May, but I'm still unsure if I will do it or not. For about the same money I could drop in a blower. But then I'd have to upgrade the header & mid pipe too. But those things will need to happen if I do the 2.5. In either case I'd need a tune, and it is my understanding that if I get the current 2.0 tuned, (with the blower & exhaust upgrade), I would have to pay for another tune if I upgrade the engine to the 2.5. It is also my understanding that the blower and header can be re-used on the 2.5. If I go this route I'd have to drop another $500 on a tune if/when I eventually upgrade the engine.

Decisions, decisions... so here is the deal. I am going to be in the same general area this coming June where Dynotronics is located. Since I am already committed to going to TX, it would be easy enough to drop my car off and have Joe work his magic on it. Hand him some cash and drive that puppy home. (He claims a two day turnaround) Then maybe, if I still feel a need, add the blower next year, or the year after. The tune I buy for the 2.5 can be reflashed for free if I go that route. This is currently "plan A".

This car is my daily driver in the summer and hibernates in the winter. I take it on a road trip (vacation) once or twice a year, so dependability is very important. I do not track it, but I would like to get into autocross. The only real reason I am even considering this is I'd like that "kick-in-the-pants" rush when I drop the hammer. That's it. And yeah, before anyone says it, I have considered just buying a Corvette or a Porsche. But I don't like making car payments. My insurance would spike and in Nebraska I have to pay property tax every friggen year. The less my car is worth, the less this tax is. So while I'd really like a Vette, I like hanging on to my $$$$ more. The Miata is paid for and the tax was less than $300 last year and drops a few bucks every year. Only have liability insurance on it, so it is dirt cheep to insure.

Question; If this was your decision to make, what would you do? (And why?) I do have enough $$$$ saved up to pay cash for this upgrade. One or the other, not both!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    2.5 swap. You can re-use all 2.0 ancillaries, and has much more potential room for improvement in the future if you want more than the 2.0. Plus I assume you could sell the 2.0 that's removed and get some cash back.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Jerry L (02-21-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    I am seriously considering the 2.5 swap. I have to let them know by the middle of May, but I'm still unsure if I will do it or not. For about the same money I could drop in a blower. But then I'd have to upgrade the header & mid pipe too. But those things will need to happen if I do the 2.5. In either case I'd need a tune, and it is my understanding that if I get the current 2.0 tuned, (with the blower & exhaust upgrade), I would have to pay for another tune if I upgrade the engine to the 2.5. It is also my understanding that the blower and header can be re-used on the 2.5. If I go this route I'd have to drop another $500 on a tune if/when I eventually upgrade the engine.

Decisions, decisions... so here is the deal. I am going to be in the same general area this coming June where Dynotronics is located. Since I am already committed to going to TX, it would be easy enough to drop my car off and have Joe work his magic on it. Hand him some cash and drive that puppy home. (He claims a two day turnaround) Then maybe, if I still feel a need, add the blower next year, or the year after. The tune I buy for the 2.5 can be reflashed for free if I go that route. This is currently "plan A".

This car is my daily driver in the summer and hibernates in the winter. I take it on a road trip (vacation) once or twice a year, so dependability is very important. I do not track it, but I would like to get into autocross. The only real reason I am even considering this is I'd like that "kick-in-the-pants" rush when I drop the hammer. That's it. And yeah, before anyone says it, I have considered just buying a Corvette or a Porsche. But I don't like making car payments. My insurance would spike and in Nebraska I have to pay property tax every friggen year. The less my car is worth, the less this tax is. So while I'd really like a Vette, I like hanging on to my $$$$ more. The Miata is paid for and the tax was less than $300 last year and drops a few bucks every year. Only have liability insurance on it, so it is dirt cheep to insure.

Question; If this was your decision to make, what would you do? (And why?) I do have enough $$$$ saved up to pay cash for this upgrade. One or the other, not both!
    I would do a 2.5 swap. I like what I see from Goodwin's site. Reliability and good power over the F/I options. I was tempted to grab an NC with a bad engine before I bought my NB late last year. Looking at the cost ($2500-3500) for a decent NC with bad engine + used, low-mileage 2.5 ($600-800), and another 1500-2500 in bolt-ons and tuning, that's S2000-stomping power with the ability to stuff an butt-load of tire under the fenders.

Of course, I'm also seeing a LOT of clean C5 vettes selling sub $10k. That is also tempting as well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Jerry L (02-21-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    2.5 swap. You can re-use all 2.0 ancillaries, and has much more potential room for improvement in the future if you want more than the 2.0. Plus I assume you could sell the 2.0 that's removed and get some cash back.
    Yes. All good points. While speaking with Joe at Dynotronics, he told my I could keep what was left of my old engine and do what I want with it. Or, he could help me sell it. Since I would have no way to get it back from there, and since it only has ~60K on it, the recommendation was to keep it mostly intact and sell it for reuse in someone else's car. Joe has a repitation for being a "stand-up" guy, so I'd be inclined to go that route.

Thank you for your input.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I would do a 2.5 swap. I like what I see from Goodwin's site. Reliability and good power over the F/I options. I was tempted to grab an NC with a bad engine before I bought my NB late last year. Looking at the cost ($2500-3500) for a decent NC with bad engine + used, low-mileage 2.5 ($600-800), and another 1500-2500 in bolt-ons and tuning, that's S2000-stomping power with the ability to stuff an butt-load of tire under the fenders.

Of course, I'm also seeing a LOT of clean C5 vettes selling sub $10k. That is also tempting as well.
    True, a gently used C5 would scratch that itch, but even if I was able to pay cash, the "total cost of ownership" would still go up due to increased insurance and taxes. Not to mention fuel and other upkeep/consumable costs. But it is tempting...

Thanks for your input.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Because you have the better 2.0, IIRC 09+ have forged internals, if you choose to go F/I you really need to set a power goal. F/I is going to have some complexities that come with a steep learning curve. Don't forget the additional supporting mods needed to keep that power reliable. If you are looking for adding power without those complexities, an engine swap is the way to go. The 2.5 is low-hanging fruit.

I'm not sure if the consumables on the Corvette are all that different from a Miata. An F/I Miata is not exactly fuel efficient. A V8 Corvette is going to cruise at 70mph on the freeway at ~2000-2500 RPMs. A lot of people I know who have driven/raced Miatas say a Corvette drives like a big Miata. C5 'Vettes are aging out like NB Miatas, the newest is going to be 14 years old, so except for it's classification, insurance will be how your policy lays. I'm following a friend who recently bought a Z06 C5 lay down times (stock) that none of his highly modified Miata racecars could touch.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-21-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast