Thread: What's this wire for?

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Red 1992 Miata
    Thanks Given

What's this wire for?

Hey all,

I removed the dash in my '92 the other day to fully remove an old alarm and I found this wire attached to the metal frame where the radio would go. It's definitely a ground to something but I just don't know to what! My guess is a ground for the radio but I'm of course open to suggestions!

Thanks

Jonathan

p.s. I'm new to the forum so if I posted in the wrong thread let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Ground for your radio. Maybe ground for something else also, but a ground either way.

Drives
    a V8 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    The wire is a ground wire as stated. The next question is what was the wire to ground? In order to determine that will require investigation. You will need to determine what it's function served. This wire will likely be an add-on ground wire because of the blue color of the wire. If you can find a wiring harness drawing you could check for a blue ground wire on the drawing to confirm this is an add-on wire. Then however, if the wire appears on the drawing you will know what function it served for grounding purposes. If not on the drawing it is an aftermarket ground wire; you will need to find the non-working after-market item and determine if a lack of a grounding wire is the problem.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Red 1992 Miata
    Thanks Given
    My thought was that it might be a ground for the aftermarket radio that the previous owner installed, but like you said I'll have to look through the wiring diagrams to be sure of what it's for. I'll look through my workshop manual tomorrow before work.

Thanks!

Jonathan