Thread: What did you do to or buy for your NA today? 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    My supposed low mileage Miata 5 speed transmission that I bought for my Ecotec swap shifts poorly unless rpm matched. At a stand still it is hard to get in gear. It acts like the input shaft is spinning even when the clutch is depressed. The clutch slave has adequate travel and the clutch engagement point seems spot on. So it is either a factor of the engine/transmission adapter or I have a bad transmission.
    So I am now moving ahead with accumulating parts to install an AR5 transmission that would eliminate the adapter and bring the drive-train back to a similar mechanical configuration as a Pontiac Solstice.
    I have bought two almost new AR5 transmissions One a factory take-out and the other with 40 miles from a Polaris Slingshot. (Can you believe there is a shop that converts the Slingshot to an automatic?)

I also bought a new flywheel, new pilot bearing, new flywheel bolts, new starter, new mounts, and a new driveshaft. I still need engine/transmission bolts, clutch assembly, and clutch plate bolts.

Ecotecmiata is developing a kit to adapt the Miata PPF to this transmission.
    I will probably install it next summer.

For me the good news is that my driver 1979 Thunderbird is finished so all it needs is light maintenance over the next few years. My wife's 1976 Mustang II should be completed over the winter. So next summer should be Miataville time.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-31-2018),HarryB (11-20-2018),Phatmiata (11-23-2018),tsingson (11-26-2018)