Thread: What fluids to use

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Emerald green 02 LS
    Thanks Given

What fluids to use

Ok bought my car last August but choose to sort it out at beginning of this years driving season. Plan to use Mobil 1 syn but have heard there are better options for trans and diff other than factory offerings. I noticed a slight notch feeling going from 1st to 2nd when cold that could be smoothed out some by using ford motorcraft in the trans is that true?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    It depends on the condition of the transmission. A lot of people change their transmission fluid in hopes that it cures a shift issue or something else. Sometimes I believe it is a placebo. Other times it can help if the fluid is old, or the car hasn't been maintained particularly well.

Either of the fluids you mentioned above are fine, get the one that suits the use of your particular car and driving style.

Notchiness when cold isn't unusual. If it goes away when it's warm, great! if not, it can be a number of issues: clutch hydraulics need bleeding, failing clutch slave or master, swollen rubber clutch line, clutch pedal adjustment, bad engine mounts, bad shifter bushing(s), cracked PPF, bad synchros. That's not meant to scare you, just reinforce that some shifting issues are signs of other maintenance needs.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-07-2018),HarryB (03-07-2018),JamieH (03-07-2018),Slampen (03-07-2018),TNRooster3 (03-07-2018)

Drives
    Emerald green 02 LS
    Thanks Given
    Wow great response, thanks! Car's in good shape from what I can tell. Bought with 45k on it. Rides n drives like 20k. I basically just want to start life with it knowing what I got if ya know what I mean. Still in the"honeymoon" stage so want to give it the best Drive style?..no tracking just spirited weekend road trips. Was told redline is what I need for the diff as well. Any other suggestions? 6 speed btw

5. The Following User Says Thank You to V12 For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (03-08-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I prefer Amsoil, but use what's available. What I do with my car is different that what you do with yours. I've used a lot of different brands over the years; Mobil1, Redline, Royal Purple, Valvoline, Penzoil, etc. The earlier 5 speeds seemed to respond better to non-synthetics, but that doesn't apply to your car.

This fluid or that fluid, just reset the maintenance and go. Use whatever the recommended weight in whatever brand you trust. Make certain you remove the fill plugs first on either before you drain.

The 6sp has never felt *quite* as accurate as the 5 speeds to me and I know a few others share that sentiment. I had one and it wasn't terrible by any means.

Drives
    Emerald green 02 LS
    Thanks Given
    Thanks again Steven for the advise. Bought all the proper washers last fall so I just have to buy the fluids now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to V12 For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (03-08-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    You are very welcome! We appreciate your participation!

Drives
    Emerald green 02 LS
    Thanks Given
    Well yesterday I went in search of the trans and diff fluids I decided on. Went to 2 auto supply stores neither sold Ford Motorcraft or Redline products. Did find the Motorcraft at a Ford dealership, but thought it odd that they had only 2 quarts and had not sold any of it in almost a year! Read the whole label till down at the bottom in tiny print I found the "MT M5-QS" designation I was looking for. Nothing anywhere on the labeling as to GL rating. But he then looked it up and yes GL 3 and 4 rated. Guess will have to order Redline on line.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I have found Redline products at many O' Reilly Autoparts stores. Maybe give this a shot:

https://www.redlineoil.com/where-to-buy/dealers

Otherwise, I have purchased many of the 'boutique' lubrication products online.