Thread: Custom front big brake kit: FD calipers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! SpeedWorks's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 miata; current build
    Thanks Given

Custom front big brake kit: FD calipers

Hey everyone. Well some of you might remember from my old build thread the brake kit I had been putting together. I basically completed the kit, but after I had finished it up, I changed my mind a bit in the direction for the build and won't be running my custom big brake kit, so it's up for grabs.

What I put together is a front brake kit that will fit the NA or NB chassis. It uses VW Corrado rotors with M-Tuned centering rings and a pair of FD RX-7 4-piston calipers with custom brackets.

A little more info:
    I am including the rotors in the package and I have painted the rotor hats to match the powdercoat on the calipers. The rotors are cross drill and slotted. As stated above, the M-Tuned centering rings for the rotors are included in the package making the rotors complete plug and play on the car.

The brackets included in the setup are a 2-piece steel setup that has been welded together. I went through various versions of the brackets until I finalized on the pieces you see in the pictures. They have been designed and virtually stress tested through design software and utilize the least amount of material possible while retaining its strength. The brackets are side specific and come with the necessary hardware to bolt them to the miata spindle.

The calipers are FD RX-7 calipers. They were stripped down but not taken apart. The Sumitomo logo was ground off for a cleaner look and they were professionally cleaned and powdercoated. After powdercoat the calipers were rebuilt with all new seals, boots and clips on the pistons and a new hardware kit was installed as well, including new bleeder screws with rubber caps. The calipers are as good as new or better now. The hardware to bolt the calipers to the brackets is included.

For anyone that has ever seen the RX-7 brake setup on an RX-7, you'll know it has a piece of hard line in a "J" shape. I don't have these factory hard lines, but I am including 2 short hard lines with fittings that can be bent to suit.

No brake pads are included in the setup, but since these are OEM calipers, you can simply buy any pads for an FD that you wish.

Now, I have never actually run the car with these brakes. I have installed and removed the setup for mockup and fitment, but thats about it. I can not say what size wheels will clear the setup, but I believe you need a minimum of a 16" wheel and depending on the wheel, you may need to run a 10mm spacer to clear the caliper to back of spoke.

Now, I am well aware of the price of brake kits on the market for the miata from name brand companies so i'm trying to price my package accordingly. I spend way more money that i'm asking to put this setup together but my loss is your gain in this case.

Asking price is $450 plus shipping OBO. I am located in Miami, Florida.
    20180311_151653-1.jpg20180311_151736-1.jpg20180311_151754-1.jpg20180311_151834.jpg20180311_154236-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpeedWorks For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (03-13-2018)