Thread: Don't buy anything from SR Motorsports in California

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts

Angry Don't buy anything from SR Motorsports in California

So I was on the SRmotorsports website one night and noticed they have listed for sale a Mazdaspeed Short Shift Kit advertised for $349
    http://srmotorsports.com/srmiataClutch.html

I had one of these in my R2-Limited Miata back in early 2000 and loved it, so I figured I would buy another just because they are out of production now since 1999 and because its a Mazdaspeed product, or so I thought...............

So I called them up and asked them if they had anymore of the Mazdaspeed Short shift kits left in stock, they said "hold on, we will check", they come back and said "yes we have ONE left", so of course I ask to buy it and ship it to me. They take my info and tell me it will ship that very day! Great Im thinking!!

7 days goes by and nothing in the mail, so I call them up, and ask where is my Mazdaspeed kit "oh sorry about that, I left it on the shipping desk and never mailed it out." mmmmk well can you please ship it today, "yes of course, here is the tracking number"

I called again the next day to get the tracking verified because it does not show shipped, "will make sure it goes out personally myself"

another week later and it finally arrives, pain in the butt however having an old out of stock item like this would be worth the wait. WRONG

These guys send me some half baked OEM shifter that has been rewelded and some other knockoff parts!!!! WTF !!!!

I go to my garage and dug out my old used Mazdaspeed Short Shifter kit for a quick comparison, I already knew this was a knockoff, but I am sharing this with everyone so that you can know to STAY AWAY FROM SRmotorsports, they are crooks. And so you can spot the fakes.

I mailed this item back today priority mail and told them I wanted a refund, so I will hold back from blowing this up on social media and the forums until I get my refund.

Here are some photos so that you guys can SEE the difference in quality of original Mazdaspeed parts vs the crappy knockoff I was sent. BTW if you bought a so called Mazdaspeed shifter from these clowns for your miata or rx7 you probably got the same BS part I got.

Here you can see the Original Mazdaspeed kit come in this nice legit Mazdaspeed box, has all the part numbers on the side, and the knockoff has nothing, just a plain jane white shipping box.

Mazdaspeed vs fake crap by Randy George, on Flickr

And here you can clearly see the Mazdaspeed kit has a nice ABS slider inside the pivot groove, and the knockoff is just banging metal yuck, probably sounds like crap and feels even worse.

In this photo you can see the mazda part is stamped with their number right on the shifter lever, as well as the upper sitting ring (not shown) The knockoff just has some random white dot, looks like a factory shifter to me that was cut and welded.

and speaking of welds, there are none on the Mazdaspeed unit, becasue its milled from one piece, where as this knockoff was cut and welded back on, WTF, looks like total garbage!!

Here is the photos from my 1997 Mazdaspeed catalog for more reference.

Untitled by Randy George, on Flickr

So yeah I am pretty pissed off right now, how are you going to advertise this on your website as a "Mazdaspeed" item, and it sell it for the Mazdaspeed prices and its not even the legit part? At least sell it as an SRM short shift kit, but this is just super dishonest, and these clowns should be lucky I am not in Cali or there would be a nice "Club" meeting at their office without any Miata in it.

Pretty sure if they would stoop this low to advertise one thing and sell you another they do the same for the rest of their products.

Screw you SRM you are scammers!!

/rant

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-22-2018),Airbrush1 (04-07-2018),atank (03-22-2018),BlitzWing (04-28-2018),Bryan (03-27-2018),fwdtamiya (03-23-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (04-06-2018),Hammerhead (03-22-2018),JamieH (04-06-2018),MiataQuest (04-05-2018),RotorNutFD3S (03-22-2018),tsingson (03-22-2018),vote4pedro (03-27-2018)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Any chance of getting your $$$ back from them???

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atank View Post
    Any chance of getting your $$$ back from them???
    I called them the SAME DAY I got this in the mail (yesterday) and told them I am returning this for a refund because its not what I ordered, they seemed to be very cooperative, like "sure no problem just mail it back the the address on the receipt"

So I mailed it out today Priority Mail insured with tracking and insurance. They better not try any BS or ill get my credit card company involved to dispute the charges because they sent a counterfeit item.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Bryan (03-27-2018),fwdtamiya (03-23-2018),tsingson (03-27-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    I called them the SAME DAY I got this in the mail (yesterday) and told them I am returning this for a refund because its not what I ordered, they seemed to be very cooperative, like "sure no problem just mail it back the the address on the receipt"

So I mailed it out today Priority Mail insured with tracking and insurance. They better not try any BS or ill get my credit card company involved to dispute the charges because they sent a counterfeit item.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    USPS Signature Confirmation shows it was returned and signed for yesterday the 26th, MONDAY, I will be calling today about my refund.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,594 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I worked in the credit card industry for several years, and I have no problem disputing charges since I already know the correct lingo to get a fire lit

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Called my Credit card company and asked if there are any pending credits from SRM Industries, they said no, sorry, and to call the vendor.

Called SRM

Me "Hi, I returned a Mazdaspeed shifter, that was actually sent to me, it was actually some other brand not a Mazdaspeed, checking to see when you will be refunding my credit card?

SRM: "oh yeah it has to go through our returns "check in process" before we can refund it."

Me; "well how long does that take?"

SRM; "generally only a day or two" , I remember we just got it back Wednesday from the postman"

Me: "okay so you will issue the refund tomorrow (Friday) or Monday then? Should I call back Friday? or Monday?"

SRM "it will get refunded back to the card it was billed to, but it might take a day or two to show up."

Me: "okay I will just look for the refund and call if it does not show up"

So now I wait and see, Im generally not a pesky customer but im still PO'd about the website stating its a "Mazdaspeed" shifter (even has the Mazdaspeed logo) and then getting some knockoff.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Really a sketchy business................they run, but some people would think "hey I have a genuine MazdaSpeed shifter"
    and never know any different......................................... .......

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I called SR Motorsports again today since I still don't see a credit on my online statement, the guy that answered said they will check and call me right back, 5 minutes later a woman calls me back and says that they have already credited me (IN FULL) on March 27th, and that sometimes it takes a while for the credit to show up. Today is April 3rd, so I called my credit card company and they don't see a refund on my account, I also ask them to check to see if there is any "pending" credits and they said no, nothing pending either. They stated I can dispute the charge if needed, however I told them I will give it until Friday to see if they make good, and if nothing then I will proceed with the disputes process.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-03-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    my FULL refund showed up on my account, thank God this is over, this transaction was a nightmare.

when it doubt, do without.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Bryan (04-05-2018),MiataQuest (04-05-2018),tsingson (04-05-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Glad you got your money back at least!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Glad that you got your money back. Sucks because that shifter will end up on somebody's car eventually.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone TNRooster3's Avatar
    Drives
    chaste White, 1996 R2-Limited Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Oh wow....that sucks, makes you wonder how many other companies are out there doing the same thing?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-06-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! lucmor444's Avatar
    Drives
    Silver 1996
    Thanks Given
    Good to hear the refund occurred - shame about the experience/product shipped. I note they still list 4 shifters as being 'available'.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucmor444 For This Useful Post:

MX5Wisher (04-06-2018),Phatmiata (04-06-2018)