Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Better late than never

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    96 M-edition
    Thanks Given
    less playing with stickers and more suspension/wheel/power mods to support this widebody pls

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chanathon For This Useful Post:

Slampen (03-28-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Warhammer's Avatar
    Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    IMO, you may be overdoing it. Instead of filling in the gap on front fenders, I would remove the red around the cockpit. Problem solved. Just my opinion though.
    That would leave a weird transition, or lack thereof, between the hood and the windshield frame. The idea is for the black to flow from the hood, up the windshield frame to the top.
    - Rex

2003 LS Widebody, Pure White, Too many mods to list in a signature

My build thread

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I actually think the vinyl looks good, to my pleasant surprise.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Warhammer (03-29-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CollinMB's Avatar
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    I like the vinyl. And yes, that tan top sticks out like a sore thumb now...

...but what you should really do is get the CCP fastback to go with the rest of the kit

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CollinMB For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-29-2019),MiataQuest (03-29-2019),Warhammer (03-29-2019)

Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMB View Post
    I like the vinyl. And yes, that tan top sticks out like a sore thumb now...

...but what you should really do is get the CCP fastback to go with the rest of the kit
    Part of me agrees (the CCP fastback looks awesome), but I like top-down driving too much to go with a hard top.
    Last edited by Warhammer; 04-05-2019 at 08:02 PM.
    - Rex

My build thread

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-30-2019),tsingson (03-29-2019)

Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    I received my order of 3" red tape and finished the two gaps on the top of the fenders. The transitions from the hood to the doors took a tiny piece of flat black vinyl at the forward, top tips of the doors, then I used cutting tape to make the small black and tapered red bits on the fenders, then I finished the seams with gloss black pinstriping.

So now the red stripe runs continuously from the bumper, around the cabin and back to the bumper.

I'm pretty happy with how this part of my project has turned out.
    - Rex

My build thread

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (03-30-2019),Grumpy (04-01-2019),tsingson (03-29-2019)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Great job on the vinyl! It looks amazing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Warhammer (03-30-2019)

Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    I installed new rear rotors and pads today. The left side had wore much more than the right, so I think that side may have been dragging. I followed a tip I saw on Youtube and removed the slide pins, then chucked them in my drill press and polished them smooth with some fine sandpaper. Hopefully that and a liberal layer of grease will keep everything moving smoothly.
    - Rex

My build thread

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-04-2019)

Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    Amazon sent me another Razo shift knob, and the gaps in the leather around the stitching were just as bad as the first one. So, back to Amazon they both went.

The replacement came in the form of a Superklasse "Runabout" shift knob. It's wrapped a nice combo of smooth and perforated leather; really nice, soft, high-quality leather. The stitching (I chose red) is much nicer than the Razo, and is on par with a Nardi or Momo wheel. It weighs in at 350 grams, which is not the heaviest out there, but certainly not a light-weight. The shape feels really nice in the hand. It's kind of a modified ball/mushroom/pistol grip shape. It came with a thread adapter to fit the Miata. At $59, it's not cheap, but not crazy expensive, either.

- Rex

My build thread

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-04-2019)

Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    I did a couple of small projects this morning. First, I wrapped the mirror pedestals in red like Mirage775 suggested. I think it helps with the continuity of the red stripe. With the mirrors all white, they break the line where they mount to the doors.

Next, I did a little bit of work on the air dam on the front bumper.

- Rex

My build thread

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    OK now I am really seeing an S2000. It isn't my style but I really dig how even and perfect you've put the vinyl on.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

Slampen (04-05-2019),Warhammer (04-05-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I am not a huge fan of widebody kits, vinyls or any of this, but I have to admit that overall I like it very much! And I really admire your creativity, passion and craftsmanship.

The bits I do not really like are the bumper vinyl and the tan roof which IMO look out of place. Also the car needs wider wheels/tires or spacers to fill in the arches better.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Warhammer (04-05-2019)

Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I am not a huge fan of widebody kits, vinyls or any of this, but I have to admit that overall I like it very much! And I really admire your creativity, passion and craftsmanship.

The bits I do not really like are the bumper vinyl and the tan roof which IMO look out of place. Also the car needs wider wheels/tires or spacers to fill in the arches better.
    I agree. I don't like how the bumper turned out. I'm going to strip that off and try something different. The tan roof will be replaced this summer with a black cloth one. I'm waiting to finalize wheel fitment until I've installed coilovers and finalized the ride height.
    - Rex

My build thread

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (04-08-2019)

Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    Too much work and a shoulder injury have kept me form doing any work on the car lately. Hopefully, I'll get to the suspension next week on my days off.

After a wait one month shorter than expected, I received the Jet Stream bumper diffuser I ordered through Rev9! I'm really excited about this piece. I
    have tom compliment Rev9. Their communication was great from start to finish. I was fun following the shipment tracker as my part shipped, passed Customs and then came to my door.

Now, because we all like pics...

I got home from work and found a nicely made box with "Fragile" labels in English and Japanese.

Inside, the part was wrapped in copious amounts of bubble wrap and tapped to the bottom of the box to prevent shifting.

Inside the bubble wrap: bumper diffuser, hardware & instructions (in Japanese), Rev9 thank you card, and heart-shaped grape gummies.

Proof of authenticity. Also, you can see the tabs that hold the screen in. If I can make it work to my satisfaction, the screen will go bye-bye in favor of a center exit exhaust port.

It's a very nicely made part. There's only one small spot that will need a skim of filler to smooth out before painting. From previous experience with fiberglass parts, this is among the best I've seen.

While part of me wants to rush out and bolt it on, I'm going to wait a bit. I just ordered the bottom diffuser to match this part. Plus, I'm going to work on the center exhaust idea. If I can get the exit port and exhaust routing to work right, then I'll need to do some fiberglass work to do away with the original exhaust cutout on the right side of the bumper so the right ans left sides match. Plus I'll have to cut out the little divider in the center vent and then fill and finish the cuts there.
    - Rex

My build thread

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-16-2019)

Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    To further exacerbate my need for a few days to get into the garage, this arrived today from China:

It's the matching under-diffuser to my Jet Stream bumper diffuser.

Err.. well... kind of.

While my Jet Stream upper bumper diffuser is the real-Made-in-Japan-deal, the lower is a "Jet Stream Style" diffuser that I bought on AliExpress. I know I'm bound to take some flak for buying a "Chinese knock-off", but for a price difference of $562, I was willing to take a chance. Yep, $926 vs $364 including shipping. Jet Stream offers their diffuser without the four internal fins, then you can choose to add either two or all four fins for and additional $100 or $250 respectively. This version came with all 4 fins. My CCP widebody kit was clearly based on the NoPro kit, and I also like several models of Rota and Konig wheels that look suspiciously similar ;) to Work wheels. More options in the marketplace are better.

Anyhow, the order got here much faster than I expected; only 6 days from placing the order to having it in my hands! Quality-wise, I'd say the fiberglass work easily stands up to the Jet Stream part to which it will be mated. No voids or soft spots, nice smooth gel coat, no excess flashing... equal to or better than any other aftermarket fiberglass part I've purchased. This is about the 6th time I've ordered something through AliExpress and I've had a good experience every time.

It's actually the NA version, which is why it comes with the bracket piece for installation. I don't know if I'll be able to use NA bracket as intended. If not, I'll have to buy a pair of long bolts and some lock nuts, which is how the NB version installs. I didn't receive any installation hardware or instructions, but the needed bolts are cheap and the installation isn't rocket surgery, so NBD. The other negative is that the trailing edge of this piece has a more pronounced, rolled edge NB version, which is flat. So, I'm going to have to do a little bit of trimming to make it fit just right. I knew that was a possibility, but for the money saved I find that quite acceptable.

So now I just need to get my butt moving on painting and installing of all these cool parts I've collected. Hopefully, I'll have in-process and completed pics to post soon.
    - Rex

My build thread

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-16-2019),tsingson (06-16-2019)

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314 LastLast