Thread: Hello from Washington State

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    97' STO
    Thanks Given

Hello from Washington State

Hello fellow Miata people and any random on the internet that may stumble upon this!

My name is Austin and I'm on my 3rd Miata ("Hi, Austin" reply all the miataholics).
    I could just leave it at that but I'll talk a bit about my history with Miatas below:

The first one:
    I got my first Miata when I had just turned 17. It was the first of many cars I would buy at the insurance auction and I clicked "Buy it now" for just $1250. The minimal damage shown in the picture below didn't even warrant a branded title!

IMG_0755 by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/GRfpi8

Yes, it was a real R-Package. I didn't know it till after I sold it but it had the torsen, real R-Package lips, and every option under the sun besides a hardtop (Although it most likely came with one since I did have side-strikers)

Long story short, I didn't really treat this car right. I was 17, driving my first manual RWD car, and wanted to be like all the drift boys in my town. Since it was already a bit beat up I don't feel too bad but I certainly wish I would have kept the racing beat exhaust and diff before I sold it.

This is how it ended up looking and I can't believe it but I actually made money on this car (sold without hardtop).

IMG_0733 by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/25qinTu

IMG_0734 by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/23Kom8y

Once that was gone I strayed away from Miatas for a while. I flipped a few cars and was really enjoying driving something comfortable until it hit me again. That urge. Around March of every year I seem to have the urge to buy another. I have successfully resisted a few times but this time I didn't.

The Smurf One:
    Well I can't really say I didn't. I expressed the urge to my father who woke me up a few mornings later and said, "I bought a Miata, you owe me $500.".

I was excited to have another but I knew that a $500 Miata would need a lot of work. This is it:

IMG_1224 by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/23Konmf

(No, it didn't come with the hardtop)

It may not look too bad from that angle but the front end was pushed about 5 inches to the passenger side and we would end up breaking one of those BBS knock-offs while trying to pull it over with a come-along hooked to a truck.

IMG_1297 by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/26ryD29

So I found the cheapest set of wheels I could find and parked it behind a friend's shop for almost 2 years. When we finally pulled it out this is how it emerged:

IMG_1312 by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/25qinpy

To be honest, I just wanted my money back from this car until I drove it again.

I still had to take it to state inspection since it was from the insurance auction (still clean title) and get the hood to latch and somehow make it less heinous but at the beginning of last summer I started to bring it back to life.

We got it semi-straightened out. Not within spec but enough that the hood would latch again. I cleaned it up, found some turn signals, straight body panels, and replaced the back window. I also sold my mint condition Montego Blue HT that I paid $850 for :-(

But it was soon back on the road! It supposedly only had 78,xxx miles on it but the clutch went after only one drive in it. Whatever enthusiasm I had for that car was lost when I did my first clutch job on the floor of my garage. As you can see below the transmission was FILTHY and I ended up under the car for what felt like 4 days straight trying to work my way through this for the first time.

IMG_7910 by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/25qiobo

After I put that in I sold the car for $2700 a few months later. Although I would miss driving a Miata for a while, I'm glad I sold that one.

The latest addition:
    After 6 months without a Miata I was ready again. March came around and I knew I needed one. I spent hours combing Craigslist to find one. I wanted something that was cheap, mostly stock, and ready to cruise. This is what I got:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 3.26.50 PM by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/JnzHBN

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 3.27.30 PM by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/JnzHuo

IMG_7129 by Austin Peterson, on Flickr
    https://flic.kr/p/259kK2V

I'll save the details of the few things I have changed on the car for the build thread but here is how it came:
    -1997 STO
    -HVAC Delete and Coolant Reroute
    -Depowered Rack
    -FM Vmaxx Coilovers
    -FM Vmaxx Sway Bars
    -Energy Suspension Bushings all around
    -Possibly Delrin diff bushings? (Still need to get under the car and verify)
    -A (horribly) spray painted HT

Although it's not too practical I plan on mostly using it as something fun to rip around town and the mountains. I will probably end up taking it to a few autox events and would love to make it down to MRLS in September. It's the cheapest "fun car" I could get and it allows me to carry on my love for these tiny (in American standards) Japanese cars.

I look forward to keeping up on this forum, it's definitely my favorite that I've come across.
    Last edited by knownasaustin; 05-23-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Oops... Picture links fixed

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knownasaustin For This Useful Post:

dweikum (05-23-2018),HarryB (05-24-2018),Paul B (05-23-2018),Warhammer (05-24-2018)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Welcome to MazdaRoadster.net !!! $500 Miata's all day !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

knownasaustin (05-23-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! dweikum's Avatar
    Drives
    2003 SE, Strato Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Looks like some new fun! Welcome!
    Do keep us posted, love to see how this progresses.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dweikum For This Useful Post:

knownasaustin (05-23-2018)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Welcome to MR and thanks for the intro and picts.

Please send Aplets & Cotlets.

No todo que es oro brilla.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

knownasaustin (05-24-2018)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    97' STO
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Welcome to MR and thanks for the intro and picts.

Please send Aplets & Cotlets.
    To be honest I had to look up Aplets & Cotlets since I had never heard of them and I found out they are made just minutes from where I live... LOL

10. The Following User Says Thank You to knownasaustin For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-25-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Welcome! Third one looks much better than the first two; keep us posted!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Drives
    1990 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Welcome aboard the MR forum

My 90 blue with 179k

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Winlowe For This Useful Post:

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Warhammer's Avatar
    Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    Welcome to MR. Lots of fun driving roads up there in the PNW!
    - Rex

2003 LS Widebody, Pure White, Too many mods to list in a signature

My build thread

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knownasaustin View Post
    To be honest I had to look up Aplets & Cotlets since I had never heard of them and I found out they are made just minutes from where I live... LOL
    Believe me. You may have become bored with Wenatchee but you live in one of the most beautiful states in the Union. Go driving, man! Go to Seattle, take the ferry to Whidbey Island and get a commemorative state-ferry coffee mug while you're at it. Stay the night in Coupeville and cruise up past Deception Pass on your way to Vancouver.

Or...

Cruise over to Spokane, even though the route is flat and boring but (pit stop) and then over the mountains to Missoula and party for the weekend. Raise a toast to me at the Rhino and you will achieve legendary status but watch out for a possible outstanding warrant for public indecency.

No todo que es oro brilla.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

knownasaustin (05-27-2018)