Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dash Cameras

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    The only issue I see with having a personal dash cam is that I want to ensure that my video recording remains absolutely mine and cannot be taken against my will and used as evidence against me. Hmm, I wonder if personal video recordings are protected under the Fifth Amendment.
    EXACTLY. Remember when Progressive started offering those "safe driver discounts' as long as you kept a transponder plugged into your obd2 port. eek, I'm more afraid of the insurance companies than I am the government, honestly

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (06-12-2018),Rogue (06-12-2018),Warhammer (06-12-2018)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Why? If you don't plug it in, what do they have on you?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Great discussion, fellas! I think it deserves it's own thread.

Feel free to continue or post your installations and/or preferred device.

Let's keep it going.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    what about mounting it hanging under the rollbar? then we can see your fancy shifting and steering action on the track.

Must say it is very stable and records super nice though!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I don't disagree about being able to see myself shift, hand placement, etc. I really wanted that and at some point I hope to be able to have that.

Here's the rub (for me):

Camera placement in a Miata with a hardtop is a little tricky. Hanging it from the rollbar is the way to go as some cameras have trouble adjusting to the light if it's too far back and closer to the rear window.

I really need a camera that can be positioned(aimed), record on and off remotely or comes on automatcally, manage files, offload them onto other devices without swapping cards. Same for batteries, I need a solution where I'm not missing sessions because the battery dies.

Realistically, at an HPDE, I am usually instructing, so I am on track every other session (my car and my student's car). If each session is 20 minutes, I need about 10 minutes to gear up, strap in and get to the grid. That's just for me. When I'm instructing, I am going over lessons and critiques with a student, going to a classroom sessions, or discussing the next aspect of his/her area to focus on. Realistically, I can get 10-20 minutes to myself in the mornings per session cycle (four groups, each on for 20 mins). Meanwhile, I'm looking at the car, my student's car, recording air pressures, checking the oil, hydrating, expelling, grabbing a snack, dealing with staff issues as they arise.

I need a rearward/cage mounted solution I can hook up the night before, something wired to the car, that begins to record once the car turns on, and I can offload to pair in RaceRender with the data I record on my phone.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Must say it is very stable and records super nice though!
    This surprised me as well. The hybrid mount shakes the shite out of the car (and I'm removing it soon). You can hear me open and close the door to try to stop the door from buzzing (unsuccessfully). I expected the video to be shaky with buzzy audio. It even picks up the rattling saftey pin in the fire bottle mounted on the floor.

Idling - Listen to it purr... wago's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Here a screen shot of my Anker C1 pro, the videos has an overlay of speed and gps location which is pretty cool. Anker also has awesome customer service.

anker c1 pro.jpg

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wago For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (06-12-2018),Phatmiata (06-12-2018),tsingson (06-13-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    ^^^^ I like that ^^^^ it would look killer on the track

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I specifically don't want that information on my regular dashcam recordings.

I was really pleased how easy the Anker I have was to install and setup.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-12-2018),HarryB (06-12-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Warhammer's Avatar
    Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    I just picked up a Rexing V1P dash cam at work. I haven't installed it yet, but it gets really good reviews. I also got the add-on GPS logger and the hardwire kit.

Here's the blurb of it's features:
    • Discreet design: signature low-profile design allows the v1p to be a well-hidden witness to the road.
    • Dual-channel recording: record from two separate perspectives by connecting the included discreet rear camera to the front camera.
    • Full-hd recording: front camera captures full-hd 1080p video @ 30fps. wide dynamic range allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting the exposure to create balanced images and footage.
    • Loop recording: when the storage limit is reached on the memory card, new recordings will automatically overwrite oldest recordings. supports high-endurance micro sd memory cards up to 128gb in memory size.
    • Accident auto-detection (g-sensor): when the built-in gravity sensor detects a collision, the current video is locked, ensuring important footage is kept protected. locked video will be kept safe from being overwritten.

I'l post an update once I get it installed.
    - Rex

2003 LS Widebody, Pure White, Too many mods to list in a signature

My build thread

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (06-13-2018)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    Steve, just curious on 2 things. what exactly did you get to hardwire this, and are you still happy with it?

oops # 3, seems to be a lot of concern with sandisk cards failing with this, what are you using, and have you had issues?

I'm planning on finally getting a decent dashcam, and your review is leaning me towards this one.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

Dash Cameras

Here is the stepper:

HOMREE 8-22V 12V to 5V/3A DC Power Transformer DC Buck Voltage Converter Volt Step Down Module with Dual USB Cable Connector Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCVRWJ7..._OOzMCbWN6GVBK

I use the other USB port to charge my phone. It’s all hidden under my dash.

I used one of these to make a new circuit off the fuse box:

10 Pack - EPAuto 12V Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DYQM6EO..._uRzMCbHGHWEW7

I haven’t had any issues with the memory card I use, I had a few laying around. I’ve been happy with the track videos I’ve pulled down.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-27-2019),Grumpy (03-26-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12