Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Cameras

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Dash Cameras

Installed a dashcam after helping a buddy today. This was recommended to me by a friend.

It’s an Anker ROAV, $53 on Amazon. You can read about it here:

ROAV by Anker Dash Cam C1, Car Recorder with Sony Sensor, 1080P FHD, 4-Lane Wide-Angle View Lens, Built-in WiFi with APP, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Night Mode, Parking Mode [Upgraded Version] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XNSDRW8?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Pretty nice for my first dashcam. I unpacked it as such with some liquid encouragement.

I wanted to wire it to the car, so I added a circuit to turn on with the car key. I ran the provided USB cable across the windshield header. The camera provided a nice interior tool to help lift the panel. Wired it in really easily by adding a fused circuit to a 12v to 3v stepdown for a USB, also bought it on Amazon ($7 IIRC). Took me about an hour altogether, including wiring it under the dash, going through the settings to customize, formatting the SD card I had laying around from my action cam.

Here are some photos of the camera. The mat it is laying on, the grid is in inches for reference.

I decided to mount it behind the rear view mirror. It’s pretty much hidden from my view when I sit in the car.

I set the camera’s screen to turn off 30 seconds after startup.

Here’s a sample immediate after (edited for length). I can connect to the cam via WiFi on my phone and d/l the videos to it, edit, upload to FB or YouTube. Really easy with simple features.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-10-2018),atank (06-11-2018),dweikum (07-01-2018),MiataQuest (06-10-2018),RotorNutFD3S (06-13-2018),tsingson (06-10-2018)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I’m just surprised you got the camera pointed in the right direction.

No todo que es oro brilla.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (06-10-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Me too!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Thanks for the write up Steve! I like the fact that's quite small and discreet. I mostly need it the very few times I park outside, in case anyone bumps the car, but I am afraid it may also be a possible tempt to thieves, as it's quite visible from the outside. Decisions...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (06-11-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I don’t know how one would hide a camera in a Miata, unless the lens was remote and the imagery stored in a concealed location.

Edited the video link for the video.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-11-2018)

Thanks Given
    I believe in having at least one camera in a car if not more. They’re getting so small and ubiquitous that I wouldn’t be surprised if 360-degree, 24hr recording won’t be the next evolutionary step, at least for new cars.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. There's a lot of incidents just driving a small car like these that don't happen with the frequency of other cars I've driven.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Orwell would laugh that the people are purchasing and installing the cameras themselves, willingly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-12-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I’m sure he would. Call it vanity, passive authoritarianism, etc. I use it for saving myself from bad drivers and data.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-11-2018),Demon I Am (06-11-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Oh, I totally get it and have done the same for the same reasons. When you really need a witness there's rarely one around.

It is kind of spooky (if you let it get to you) to think about how much information is gathered, between apps, gps trackers, cameras, etc.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (06-11-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, I agree. I have been making some considerations towards reducing my Internet data footprint.

Thanks Given
    Cameras are rolling 24/7 everywhere already. Even ATM videos are featured on the news because they captured video of a suspect walking by. Wasn’t Amazon in the news a couple weeks ago for providing a couple police departments with real-time facial recognition in a couple of cities? I don’t like the “safety” argument they always use about getting people with warrants off the street.

Hell, you might not even know about a warrant out on you for missing a traffic ticket that was probably taken by some automated red-light camera in the first place. We’re becoming a total-surveillance state in the name of safety and not just cameras but data, phone, license plate readers and so on. George Orwell has nothing on what it’s like now and it’s terrifying to think what it will be like in ten years. /rant

I’m all for a video camera in my car because it’s the only proof I’ll have if someone runs a red and hits me or whatever. People aren’t sticking around accident scenes to offer witness statement to your benefit and even if they do, your own insurance company can still devide up the fault, blaming you for some of it!

The only issue I see with having a personal dash cam is that I want to ensure that my video recording remains absolutely mine and cannot be taken against my will and used as evidence against me. Hmm, I wonder if personal video recordings are protected under the Fifth Amendment.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT
    Thanks Given
    Oh, great! And I was just starting to get comfortable walking around without my tin foil hat!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Cameras are rolling 24/7 everywhere already. Even ATM videos are featured on the news because they captured video of a suspect walking by. Wasn’t Amazon in the news a couple weeks ago for providing a couple police departments with real-time facial recognition in a couple of cities? I don’t like the “safety” argument they always use about getting people with warrants off the street.

Hell, you might not even know about a warrant out on you for missing a traffic ticket that was probably taken by some automated red-light camera in the first place. We’re becoming a total-surveillance state in the name of safety and not just cameras but data, phone, license plate readers and so on. George Orwell has nothing on what it’s like now and it’s terrifying to think what it will be like in ten years. /rant

I’m all for a video camera in my car because it’s the only proof I’ll have if someone runs a red and hits me or whatever. People aren’t sticking around accident scenes to offer witness statement to your benefit and even if they do, your own insurance company can still devide up the fault, blaming you for some of it!

The only issue I see with having a personal dash cam is that I want to ensure that my video recording remains absolutely mine and cannot be taken against my will and used as evidence against me. Hmm, I wonder if personal video recordings are protected under the Fifth Amendment.
    The 5th A is the tricky part. If there is a reasonable suspicion, yes they can. This had occurred to me as well, and why I record the OBD2 data separately. The videos stored on the SD chip are viewable, but those I store to my phone are password secured.

I am beginning to think the camera is akin to driving with a radar detector, but opposite. When I had a radar detector, I would drive a lot faster but it really wasn't protecting me from anything. Also, if I was pulled over with one in the car, I was far less likely to be let off with a warning. So I removed it and I keep my speeds far more reasonable.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ening-you.html

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-12-2018),HarryB (06-12-2018),kung fu jesus (06-12-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast