Thread: Lighter flywheels and the roadster experience

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Infedora's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 White
    Thanks Given

Lighter flywheels and the roadster experience

This topic has been beat to death over the years on other forums many of us also frequent. So my question isn’t the weight (10,3), benefits etc.

My question is this. Are there any of you out there, particularly of an age, driving naturally aspirated 1.6 Miatas with lightened flywheels. Are they a positive for you or not when driving your 1.6 in a spirited manner on the street. Would you do it again?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Lighter flywheels and the roadster experience

With my NA6, the lightweight flywheel was one of my favorite modifications. I tried two different ones, each was a different weight and different material.

I think the key is the clutch you pair it with and consideration for the majority of miles you put on the car (commute, track, etc.).

I think it really wakes up the 1.6 and gives those versions a lithe, sportier driving experience.

I had lightweight flywheels on my NA6 the majority of the years I owned it and will do it to my current NB when the time comes.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-24-2018),Professor Dwight (06-23-2018),Slampen (06-24-2018),tsingson (06-23-2018),Warhammer (06-23-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    I've had 2 lightweight flywheels. one in a 1993, and the other in my 2004. I think the first one was a F1 brand. It was one of the less-expensive ones that had good reviews. I agree that it was one of my favorite mods on that car. It was paired with a stock clutch. Defintely was a blast to see how much quicker the engine spun up. It also took a bit of re-learning to get used to the Miata's soft clutch pressure.

I's only had this one in my 2004 for a week. The spin up is not as noticeable as in the 1.6, but this FW is 2# heavier than the one in my 93. This is also paired to a stock clutch.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Infedora (06-24-2018),kung fu jesus (06-24-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I had 8 or 9# Fidanza aluminum FW with an ACT Extreme clutch set. The clutch was very heavy for daily driving, great at the track. The FW and clutch set was tiresome in stop and go traffic. There was a lot of gear lash noise with that FW. Spirited driving was amazing.

I later switched to an F1 13# chromoly FW with an ACT heavy duty clutch set. Far easier to live with day to day and quieter. It was a lot more livable with the same enjoyment that makes this mod worth it.

I kept with the smaller 1.6 FW and clutch sizes both times.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Infedora (06-24-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I have no experience with the 1.6 with a lightweight flywheel but I did have the Flyin Miata 10.3lb flywheel on Warbird, na8, and loved it! There was increased noise from the transmission but this is always the case with a lighter flywheel.

I have also had a 04 SRT4, 01 Mustang Bullitt and a 03 Mustang GT with lightweight flywheels. Again I don't regret any of them having a lighter flywheel. I definitely plan on getting one for Misfire, my nb2.

They can take getting used too and the extra drivetrain noise bothers some more than others but it never bothered me once I found out it was normal.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Paul B (06-26-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Currently got FM's "Happy Meal" set in my 1990, it's an absolute hoot! Paired with Jenvey ITB's and a lot of headwork; bottom end work to follow.

It's very hard to tell what improves the drive the most to be fair. The only issue I've had is the typical "chatter" that can happen on deceleration. I've no idea if it's been installed incorrectly, but it chatters slightly on WOT too.

It's a worthwhile mod if you're "in there" anyway, but it wouldn't be the first thing I'd "upgrade" to. If you know how to install it yourself then kudos, it would save you a bomb on labour. Personally I'd look anti-sway bars if you haven't already, or Bill's short shifter kit @ MiataRoadster.

HTH!!
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Infedora's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 White
    Thanks Given
    DarylSibcy I’ve got the full complement of suspension upgrades and until it’s demise am keeping the 1.6. How do you like the Jenvey ITB’s? I’m intrigued by them for their throttle response, but have heard mixed opinions about their drivability. They would seem to be a blast to have on the 1.6.