Thread: Works Bell Short Hub + QRS Install?

Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    1990 Base Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given

Works Bell Short Hub + QRS Install?

First I just want to say that I've installed steering wheels, hubs, and quick releases before in my Miatas but this time I am completely lost. I hope there is someone that has had experience installing either a Daikei Airbag hub or a Works Bell short hub in a NON AIRBAG NA Miata. So this applies to any Canadian marketed NAs or Eunos Roadsters.

So my setup is: Works Bell 910S Short Hub + NRG QR 2.5 + Nardi Competition 330mm

Non Airbag Miatas never came with a "clockspring" like the US cars. Instead, there is a metal button(?) that makes contact with the back of a hub (it looks similar to the trip reset on the cluster and its spring loaded). MOMO hubs come with a wire that is joined to the grounding ring on the back of the hub and that wire is then connected to the horn button. The Works Bell Hub is supplied with wires for the Clockspring and airbag defeat. There are no wires or a grounding ring on the hub, just a giant hole to feed the wires through. So let's say I narrowed it down to only using the short hub (no qrs) to make things simple. How would I get power to the horn button if there are no wires coming off the hub and no way to attach a wire simply because it uses a contact-type setup. The only thing I can think of is wrapping a wire around the little spring loaded button but that doesn't seem permanent nor safe.

Any help is appreciated! Even if you have no experience with this particular situation, maybe some suggestion as to how I should rig this up. I've attached some pictures, hopefully I can add some of what it looks like with the wheel off (either today or tomorrow).IMG_1153.jpgAttachment 18746Attachment 18746IMG_1152.jpg

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    So, the WB hub should be grounded by the 21mm (19?) nut and in turn, the NRG hub grounded by being attached to the WB hub. The steering wheel is grounded to the hubs by the bolts. The wire springs on the back of the horn button is your ground and helps hold the button to the steering wheel. The only wire you need to worry about is the horn wire, which is positive and that connects via a spade connector on the back. If everything is grounded through connection to the steering column, it shouldn't matter which wire you connect the OE horn wire to on the NRG hub, IIRC.

I can't tell by the image you posted above of the WB hub, but is there a cuttout on the side to allow the OE horn wire to pass through?

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 Mazda Mx-5 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    I hate to say it, but you've got the wrong WB hub. ( I know, because I made the exact same mistake..) The 910S hub is for NA Miatas/ Mx-5's/ Roadsters which were equipped with airbags. Car without airbags need to use the 902S if you want the horn to work.