Thread: The Rebirth

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch NobleRogue's Avatar
    Drives
    "97" Miata NA
    Thanks Given

The Rebirth

I have been trying to get my Miata back on the road. I first planed to get a JDM motor but with them always being sold out I told the wife I will just build up the motor I have. She convinced me to keep looking for the JDM, so I did. I found one at JDMEnginesDirect.com out of NJ. They promised every motor goes through a compression test before leaving the warehouse. Sadly I think they forgot to test the motor they sent to me as it as seized. The pistons were rusted to the cylinders and would not budge with all of my weight on the end of a two foot breaker bar. After almost a month of back and forth they agreed to send back my money. Lucky me I had intended to keep a video log of the build. This I do believe helped me to convince them to refund my money as they did not agree to do so till after I sent the the video of me leaning in to the breaker bar. You can see that video here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXH...UPoNwKpl_8Er8Q. When I sent the clip with the breaker bar I informed them the every second of the teardown was captured on video.

After this experience I went back to the idea of building the motor I have. The head was previously blown and I had intended it to be a race motor. I will still build it to be a race motor just not as aggressive as originally planed. It does need to be streetable. So, I've done it. I just spent $1100 at FAB9 on Pistons, Rods and Bearings. When they come in the block and head will be taken to the machine shop to be worked.

Pistons w/rings:
    Supertech - 85mm - 11:1
    Rods:
    K1 forged H beam
    Bearings:
    Main and Rod from King Racing

The shop will bore the cylinders, shave the crank (just enough to make up for the added weight of the pistons), Balance and they will service the head.

The head already has a Toda intake cam 9mm lift 256ms duration, Stiffer springs, HLS lifters have been swapped for Supertech solid lifters (shim in bucket) and has Fidanza Adjustable cam gears.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NobleRogue For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-24-2021),HarryB (08-24-2021)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Have fun! My son and I swapped a "new" 1.6 into his '90 recently. And by "new" I mean a 180k engine we got from Alex and the folks at Scratch N Sniff. But, hey, it runs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

NobleRogue (08-27-2021)

Drives
    "97" Miata NA
    Thanks Given
    Yall are doing better than me atm. Mines not running yet. It Still has a long way to go. Thanks for the well wishing and I hope you and your son enjoy 90.

Drives
    "97" Miata NA
    Thanks Given
    Hello, The block is now at the machine shop (Las Vegas Machine, Nevada Crank Shaft). While there it will get bored to 85mm, Short blocked, balanced and the crank will be knife edged. I will post a video of it when it is completed at my youtube page. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXH...UPoNwKpl_8Er8Q. Just keep an eye open for the post declaring that it has returned from the machine shop.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NobleRogue For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-29-2021)

Drives
    "97" Miata NA
    Thanks Given
    Hello Miata Fam. The block is finally back from the machine shop. After nearly 4 1/2 month they finished the work. Bored 2mm, with a knife edged crank, Manley "H" beam rods (not the K1 "H" Beams I originally planned on), 11:1 pistons, King race bearings and balanced.
    After placing my order, Fab9 called me to inform me that the K1's were sold out but the Manley's are made from the same die. I just hope the metallurgy is similar. I will try to post some video on my youtube page. Bad Wolf Garage. If you visit the channel please understand it is just there as a record of my journey. It is not intended for entertainment or education.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NobleRogue For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (01-21-2022)