Thread: Supercharger rebuilder recommendation?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given

Supercharger rebuilder recommendation?

Hello MR,

Any recommendations for a place to get a supercharger rebuilt?

Jazz' M45 supercharger needs to be rebuilt. I am suspecting the bearings need to be changed, as well as check that the pulley/rotors axis aligment needs to get checked. The supercharger sounds normal at idle and up to 2500rpm. At 2500rpm, there is a disconcerting whirring noise, which leads me to suspect the bearings need to be swapped.

I'd rather get it sent to a professional rebuilder, mainly for peace of mind.

I've done some research, and some names have popped up (for exampme: Jon Bond(?) supercharger service out in the Midwest.)

I'm located in Northern California. Would be great to find a local rebuilder.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Magnuson and superchargersonline.com are both on the north side of LA. I would start there.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the suggestion. I inquired with superchargersonline.com awhile back, and unfortunately they said cannot rebuilt my blower, as it is a Gen 3 blower.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Reach out to to Moss or TrackDog.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    The M45 is a common Eaton supercharger for many cars. Surely it can be rebuilt somewhere. ChiefMG just had his MP62 rebuilt but I can’t remember where. Perhaps you can PM him to ask.

No todo que es oro brilla.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Embree/The High Speed Lab, http://www.embreemachine.com , and Jon Bond Performance are the ones I see the most common among the miata forums. I used Jon to rebuild/port the mp62 I had bought for Warbird but never ran it. The new owner ran it for about a year and a half before having a issue with unsure of the outcome.

Jon has excellent customer service from my personal experience and most that relate their experience say the same but Jon seems to have quality control issues but usually takes care of the customer. I'd probably go with Embree but recently came across these guys and they could/would probably do a miata m45 or mp62.
    http://stiegemeier.com

I've watched videos and think if you can install a supercharger then you could rebuild one yourself, they are very simple and most the rebuilders sell rebuild kits.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 11-09-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Can't type/spell
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Jon Bond FTW...
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I contacted Jon Bond awhile back, as of now I'm leaning towards to going with his shop.

I did inquire with the "Supercharged Miata Club" on FB, and one person said he spent $1700 to rebuilt his supercharger with Jon Bond...his supercharger required a lot of work, hopefully mine won't be like that.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Did you talk to High Speed Lab? I have seen several fellow miata enthusiasts have issues with Jon. Not trying to take money from him but until he can get his quality control issues under control, I couldn't in good conscience send business his way.

I honestly wish I had subscribed to the threads that discussed said issues but I hadn't. I believe Mike aka Chiefmg had issues with Jon's service as well. Maybe he will chime in. Edit: Found the post, #575: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....thread!/page39

One thing I can say about Jon is in EVERY case I have read of issues with his rebuilds, he takes care of the customer even if it is past its "warranty" time frame. He seems like a stand up guy and really Hope he gets these issues resolved as I'd like to stop "warning people" about said issues.

Just trying to watch out for you Brian.

For what it is worth Tom at Fast Forward Superchargers uses Embree Machine/High Speed Lab.
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthrea...light=Jon+Bond
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 11-09-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Can't type/spell
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    I see my name was bandied about in here.

I sent my 'charger to Jon Bond when I heard noise from the nose. The cause of my issue was a bearing failure, luckily I caught it before any housing or rotor damage. From the start I felt like the communication was lacking and this continued during the course of them having my unit. I sent it in the spring which is apparently a busy time but the turn-around wasn't horrible. Got the unit back and installed it. Within about 100 miles I found oil coming out of the snout bearing. Sent it back, repair was covered by the warranty but I didn't really get an answer for what the cause was. Seemed to me like there was some failure of QA on their end for the original repair. Recently I have been getting some oil film on the bottom of the snout bearing housing, I'm tracking it to make sure it doesn't get worse. End of the day next time I have to get it repaired I will likely go with Embree.

I did a lot of research before choosing who I went with, there are a lot of positive reviews of Jon Bond Performance. Unfortunately I don't feel like my experience was the same.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-08-2018),speedypenguin (11-09-2018)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    I see my name was bandied about in here.
    In far more unfortunate ways and frequency than than can be enumerated but thank you for your honest assessment.

No todo que es oro brilla.