Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Never thought I'd have a build thread in 2019 - 96 NA Build :)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by SFL Miata View Post
    Very nice start to what looks like a solid build. Excited to see more Miami people on here.
    yesss dude me too. we should maybe start a Miami MazdaRoadster.net meet?

Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    Hey Man! Welcome and it was good meeting up here is to many more miata antics!
    For sure, I've had a crazy holidays but I'm going to text you this weekend to hang out and maybe take some pics.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nqjr For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (01-04-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nqjr View Post
    yesss dude me too. we should maybe start a Miami MazdaRoadster.net meet?

For sure, I've had a crazy holidays but I'm going to text you this weekend to hang out and maybe take some pics.
    Yeah man that would be great but I am actually going to be at The Roar before the 24 at Daytona this weekend if any of you all on the forum will be there you will find me in my Blue Mazda Jacket.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Got some goodies in the mail yesterday that are going to end up on the car at some point lol.

Package from Rev9 arrived.

GV Duckbill which fits pretty freaking perfect and needs ZERO modification, also got a Eunos OEM key

Also, ordered a Racing Beat front sway along with the bracing. Going to see how the car feels with just the front bar only since I've never driven an NA with modified sway bars. I do expect a bit of understeer which will help the handling and jitteriness a bit, and then I'll decide if I want to go with a rear as well so I can dial in some oversteer if I ever want to slide this car.

I also got a Prothane bushing kit along with the new ball joints, tie rods. That's not going to make it on the car for a while since the wife and I are going to start house renovations soon, and that means garage will be storage for building supplies

Also, I have a little side project called Night Attack (IG is @nightattack.co) just for fun to design stickers and other small items. This is one of the first stickers I designed, with the help of the wife since she's a graphic designer.

I ordered some more Roadster stuff that's coming straight from the Motherland so it wont get here for a while

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    Yeah man that would be great but I am actually going to be at The Roar before the 24 at Daytona this weekend if any of you all on the forum will be there you will find me in my Blue Mazda Jacket.
    Sweet!! I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to Daytona this year since I'm still nursing my leg injury But that means I might make it to the Auto-X at the end of the month if I prep the car in time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nqjr For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (01-04-2019)

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Well, got a bunch of updates coming up. Let's start first with the some items I've acquired

Picked up a Racing Beat tubular sway with brace.

And got some overnighted parts from Japan , Garage Vary duckbill.

And a Eunos key, because I'm a ricer

And then, the invetible happened. I was on my way to meet some friends, car was driving fine it was a chilly night so the car was feeling really good. As I got off the highway I was blasting some tunes and I heard a weird rev, I thought it was the car next to me but when I went to accelerate I noticed my car had died. Annnnddd would not crank back up. I was listening to the way the engine sounded as I was trying to crank it and I knew instantly it was the timing belt.

So I got it towed back home.

Looking good on the tow truck

The next day I took off the valve cover and found this.

That's not supposed to do that lolol

A few days later I took everything apart and saw the belt had broken right off.

Since then! I've been able to get some more goodies and have a major update coming in the next few days.

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Well, got a bunch of updates coming up. Let's start first with the some items I've acquired

Picked up a Racing Beat tubular sway with brace.

And got some overnighted parts from Japan , Garage Vary duckbill.

And a Eunos key, because I'm a ricer

And then, the invetible happened. I was on my way to meet some friends, car was driving fine it was a chilly night so it was feeling really good. As I got off the highway I was blasting some tunes and I heard a weird rev, I thought it was the car next to me but when I went to accelerate I noticed my car had died. Annnnddd would not crank back up. I was listening to the way the engine sounded as I was trying and to crank it and I knew instantly it was the timing belt.

So I got it towed back home.

Looking good on the tow truck

The next day I took off the valve cover and found this.

That's not supposed to do that lolol

A few days later I took everything apart and saw the belt the had broken right off.

Since then! I've been able to get some more goodies and have a major update coming in the next few days.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nqjr For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (01-24-2019),oldgrayleather (02-08-2019),Phatmiata (01-23-2019),Roadster7 (01-23-2019)

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    So last month I ordered a set of Fortune Auto coils to replace the Megans I initially went with on the car. I wanted a high quality coilover that will see track duty about 5 times a year. FA's customer service is bar none, the coils are assembled here in the USA, they have an awesome warranty and I love the fact that this is the last coilover system I'll ever buy. Literally, if I decide to sell the car and get another platform, I can send these coils in to FA and they'll modify them to fit the new car. Which is....kinda amazing.

I wasn't able to take a ton photos during the install, it's pretty straightforward I think everyone on this forum knows this process, so this will be an initial review and my personal experience with these coils.

Build Quality

Pretty darn good, I opted for the FA500 units 10K front and 7K rear Swift Springs since those have been proven specs from what I've read online. FA does valve the shock specifically to the spring rates you choose, as is the normal on higher end suspension setups. Upon initial impression, these coils are extremely well built the rears have extended top hats and well, can't go wrong with Swift springs.

Ride Quality

So far, I've had them installed on the car for a whole 3 days, since it's all been daily driven around local roads I have them on full soft and omg they are so comfortable. Way more refined than the Megans as expected. Overall they stabilize the car and make the driving characteristics predictable. Very smooth around the corners. I paired the install with a front Racing Beat sway bar and I am extremely more confident taking corners compared to before. Way better turn-in as well. On full soft, they are absolutely perfect for daily driving.

Height Adjustability

This is the part where I was met with a hiccup. As I was installing the rear coils I adjusted them to the same ride height as I had on my Megans. Which had the lower mount maxed out, threaded all the way to the top. This gave me the ride height I wanted with full pre-load on the spring. Upon installing the FAs and adjusting them to the same lengths as the Megans the rears didn't go as low. I removed the coils again and made sure they were adjusted properly and I noticed that the Swift spring is about 2 inches taller than the spring on the Megan coils. Aaaahhh that's the culprit, the next day I called FA and they advised me that by default they use a 7" Swift Spring, so I put in an order for a pair of 5" Swift Springs instead in order to get the extra bit of drop that I want in the rear.

The reason why this is extremely important for me is because I'm going to be running two wheel setups on this car. I plan on hitting track days (TrackDayBro!) during the start of the year when the weather in Miami is great and will be keeping the car off the track during the summer when it gets hot. For those times in the year when I'm not tracking the car, I plan on running my 14' SSR Mark IIs. These coils, with the 7" spring were not going to give me the amount of ride height adjustability that I needed to run these wheels.

Here's a photo of the car with the Mark IIs and the rear Megan coils maxed out:

And here it is, with the Fortune Auto coils maxed out as well:

Huge wheel gap compared to the Megan coils, but it will be remedied soon once I get the 5" Springs on there. Also, had to take the SSRs off for now.....friends don't let friends ride around with really shitty wheel fitment ;)

Now, as far as the front units, you can adjust these to literally to the ground. There is so much room on the front coils. Out the box they were adjusted way too low and they still had like 2 inches of room to go on the lower mounts. As I was adjusting them accordingly I started getting worried that there weren't going to be enough threads to go higher haha.

Conclusion

For anyone considering these coils, I recommend them 100%, at least with the Swift springs since that's my personal experience. These are not comparable to Megan in any way, but in the past I have had Stance/BC and Tein coils. On the soft setting, these are the most refined and comfortable coils I've used on any car and I'm really looking forward to using them on the track. Just keep in mind the rear ride height adjustability issues that I experienced.

Last edited by nqjr; 01-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nqjr For This Useful Post:

91BRG (01-24-2019),fwdtamiya (02-06-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (01-23-2019),MiataQuest (01-23-2019),oldgrayleather (02-08-2019),Phatmiata (01-23-2019),Roadster7 (01-23-2019),Slampen (01-24-2019)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Damn, fantastic build thread!!! I forgot how enjoyable it was to find these.

And gorgeous car.

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Damn, fantastic build thread!!! I forgot how enjoyable it was to find these.

And gorgeous car.
    Thank you Adam <3 I considered selling my old cluster with RevLimiter gauges, but I opted to keep it just in case I feel like rocking it again in the future one day <3.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Interested in seeing that GV ducktail painted and installed. I've only seen the unpainted product photos and those don't really give you a good idea of how it looks.

Also, cool wheels. What width/offset?

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster7 View Post
    Interested in seeing that GV ducktail painted and installed. I've only seen the unpainted product photos and those don't really give you a good idea of how it looks.

Also, cool wheels. What width/offset?
    Thank you, car is going in for paint in about a month or so. Waiting on a package from Rev 9 that was shipped yesterday. I've only seen the duckbill unpainted as well, but I plan on painting it to match the car.

Wheels are 4x114 14x6.5 -11 w/ spacers up front and 14x7 -20 with spacers out back. Original specs are +13F and 0R.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nqjr For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (02-06-2019),oldgrayleather (02-08-2019),Roadster7 (01-24-2019)

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Pretty stoked for this update.

Ordered an S2 Racing 01 Bumper and it came in yesterday, undamaged. Shout out to Rev9.

Absolutely love this bumper from the second I saw it. I contemplated on getting it because I knew that what it would entail. Can't just stop at the bumper, you gotta keep it going. So this led to a few other parts that I've ordered and are on the way to complement this new look for the car.

Ugh...so good.

Quick snap of the car getting washed. I usually wash my car myself but the last few days were crazy busy and I just didn't have time.

More updates coming soon

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nqjr For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (01-29-2019),fwdtamiya (02-06-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (01-29-2019),Hammerhead (02-06-2019),HarryB (01-29-2019),MaRcOp01o (01-29-2019),MiataQuest (02-26-2019),oldgrayleather (02-08-2019),sammjoey (02-26-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    That S2 bumper tho...

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    I am considering getting that bumper too because that's the route I want to take with my NA. we'd be matching too hehehe
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Another parts update Huge thanks to Chris Horne for coming across this gem.

NA8 ARC Intake chamber & Induction Box in good condition. Will need to be thoroughly cleaned and polished. Really looking forward to getting this part since I've always wanted to own one, and they sound pretty amazing.

Alsoooooooooo, in some non Miata news. I am the proud owner of an S13.....it's a long story but this will be my 10th 240SX and my definetly my last. Pretty awesome that I own two of my top 3 favorite cars.

It's currently in Tennessee at a friend's house and I'll be driving it down to South Florida next month.

So I guess this will be a 240sx/Miata build thread.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nqjr For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (02-06-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (02-06-2019),MaRcOp01o (02-06-2019),oldgrayleather (02-08-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast