Thread: NA Miata Diff Interchangeability

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts

NA Miata Diff Interchangeability

Hello All,

I am looking to get a LSD for the Yata. I have a 97 and I was wondering what year Miatas can "plug n play" into my Miata.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    94-05

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (01-31-2019),Slampen (01-31-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    94-05 is "Plug and play", roughly.

You'll need the propshafts, driveshafts and the whole rear differential from a 1.8, ideally one that already has an LSD in it.

From someone who's gone through the process, I'd recommend paying the extra to buy everything together that's been pulled out of one car. It can become a minefield buying the diff, rear housing and etcs as Mazda made changes along the way. Another thing, decide what final gear you want too. The earlier NA 1.8's have a 4.1:1 ratio whereas the later NB models have a 4.3:1 ratio because most had six speeds bolted up to them. Stock 1.6 diffs are 4.3:1 for reference.

I went with the NB's 4.3:1 because I've stayed N/A and didn't want taller gears. If you opt for boost the popular choice is swapping in a 3.6:1 ratio ring to compensate for the added power.

In short, decide on your final drive ratio, then buy everything together to avoid any headaches. I'd recommend to clean everything up and replace all the seals "whilst you're in there", it'll give you piece of mind that you won't need to touch it again for another 100k miles. Good time to get new diff bushings too, most diffs won't have seen a rebuild during their lifetime either.

HTH bud!
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (01-31-2019)

Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylSibcy View Post
    94-05 is "Plug and play", roughly.

You'll need the propshafts, driveshafts and the whole rear differential from a 1.8, ideally one that already has an LSD in it.

From someone who's gone through the process, I'd recommend paying the extra to buy everything together that's been pulled out of one car. It can become a minefield buying the diff, rear housing and etcs as Mazda made changes along the way. Another thing, decide what final gear you want too. The earlier NA 1.8's have a 4.1:1 ratio whereas the later NB models have a 4.3:1 ratio because most had six speeds bolted up to them. Stock 1.6 diffs are 4.3:1 for reference.

I went with the NB's 4.3:1 because I've stayed N/A and didn't want taller gears. If you opt for boost the popular choice is swapping in a 3.6:1 ratio ring to compensate for the added power.

In short, decide on your final drive ratio, then buy everything together to avoid any headaches. I'd recommend to clean everything up and replace all the seals "whilst you're in there", it'll give you piece of mind that you won't need to touch it again for another 100k miles. Good time to get new diff bushings too, most diffs won't have seen a rebuild during their lifetime either.

HTH bud!
    Well there is a really nice deal on eBay for the axles, diff, and drive shaft from a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata that looks very clean and its been available for a while so if timing is right I will probably pick that up. And I was planning on doing a nice restoration of it making it all nice and pretty.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Mazda Miata LE

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlex's Avatar
    Drives
    blue, white and two-tone
    Thanks Given
    Great page explaining lots of options.

https://www.beavismotorsport.com/gui...for-miata-mx5/

My suggestion.. 7" Torsen 2 with as awesome an FD ratio as you can live with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atlex For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (01-31-2019)

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    I forgot to mention the different Torsen types, poor show

I went with an OS Giken in the end so didn’t have to think about that

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-01-2019)

Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylSibcy View Post
    I forgot to mention the different Torsen types, poor show

I went with an OS Giken in the end so didn’t have to think about that
    I have seen a couple Cusco diffs at not a bad price.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Mazda Miata LE

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    I have seen a couple Cusco diffs at not a bad price.
    I considered the Cusco diff, just couldn’t find anyone who had one to share their experiences. I only put the Giken in because the Torsen was too tired to do its job.

That and if you lift a wheel for any reason a Torsen turns into an Open diff anyway, so it’s all moot
    Last edited by DarylSibcy; 02-01-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Spellcheck

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1994 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Hey Marco your 97 already has the larger 1.8 diff and it may even have a torsen. Very easy to check by just popping off an axle and looking through the diff spline. If there is a bar across it you have an open. If you can see through it you have a torsen.

The Mazdaspeed unit will be a 3.9 final drive since those cars came with a 6 speed transmission. Not the ideal final drive for a near stock powered Miata and a 5 speed transmission.

I suggest you check your diff before spending any money. Torsen is really all you need unless you are doing some serious track duty (I.e. competing). Torsen also doesn’t wear out since it uses gears to lock and not fluid like a VLSD in the 1.6 diffs.

Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by SFL Miata View Post
    Hey Marco your 97 already has the larger 1.8 diff and it may even have a torsen. Very easy to check by just popping off an axle and looking through the diff spline. If there is a bar across it you have an open. If you can see through it you have a torsen.

The Mazdaspeed unit will be a 3.9 final drive since those cars came with a 6 speed transmission. Not the ideal final drive for a near stock powered Miata and a 5 speed transmission.

I suggest you check your diff before spending any money. Torsen is really all you need unless you are doing some serious track duty (I.e. competing). Torsen also doesn’t wear out since it uses gears to lock and not fluid like a VLSD in the 1.6 diffs.
    Hmm good point. I believe the car does have an open diff. but i will check using your method first.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Mazda Miata LE

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    Well there is a really nice deal on eBay for the axles, diff, and drive shaft from a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata that looks very clean and its been available for a while so if timing is right I will probably pick that up. And I was planning on doing a nice restoration of it making it all nice and pretty.

The MSM diff uses different axles (maybe driveshaft too, can't remember). Those axles are not easy to find because they are specific to that model. The cone/plate LSDs of all the '03-05 miatas aren't generally regarded as being nearly as stout as the mechanical Torsen differentials. Broken/chipped friction plates are not uncommon. I've personally pulled an MSM diff from a race car that burned up and caught fire when the axles were popped out and the oil inside was exposed to more oxygen.

Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    The MSM diff uses different axles (maybe driveshaft too, can't remember). Those axles are not easy to find because they are specific to that model. The cone/plate LSDs of all the '03-05 miatas aren't generally regarded as being nearly as stout as the mechanical Torsen differentials. Broken/chipped friction plates are not uncommon. I've personally pulled an MSM diff from a race car that burned up and caught fire when the axles were popped out and the oil inside was exposed to more oxygen.
    I bet that was exciting. The listing i am looking at comes with everything for the swap. But like SFL MIATA said i should take an axle out and check before doing any purchasing.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Mazda Miata LE

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Agreed. In general, those Tochigi-Fuji differentials aren't highly-regarded. There's a reason the price is cheap.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (01-31-2019)