Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Samm's NC1 Sport project

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    that Miata looks SOOOOOOO much better with the new SSR's and Steering wheel! Nice work!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

sammjoey (02-21-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! sammjoey's Avatar
    Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    that Miata looks SOOOOOOO much better with the new SSR's and Steering wheel! Nice work!
    Thanks! I wanted to try and do the NC justice in some ways, many of my plans is stuff I'd do similarly to an NA. Hence opting to go down to 16" SSR Meshes from the factory 17's as they're on my list of favourite wheels. And the sizing against an NC reminds me of how NA's look on 13 or 14" SSR Meshes.
    NC1 Sport, BC Racing Coilovers, RE Amemiya AW7 Wheels.

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Starting off my week away from work, I got straight into ticking things off of my list.

Looking pretty odd with the dash trim panel out.

Took the air vents our and then the trim rings off. I think we'll say this is the start of the de-silvering of the interior. It's just something about the silver contrast they added, I guess it was the in thing with design in the mid 2000's to have silver highlights in the interior. But it really isn't my style and I don't think it's aged that well.

Dash panel and air vent rings primed and wet sanded ready for paint.

Got the paint down, this kinda show some of the flake that in the colour. But it will show up more tomorrow when I lay the clear coat down.

While waiting for layers of paint to dry I was addressing my other main task for this week, the wheels. Mainly in terms of finishing the rear wheels and rebuilding them.

Put the rear wheels on the car to brush the lips, decided to quickly check the new lug nuts on them as I was concerned about how tall the new lug nuts are, but I think they sit perfectly.

I was about 70% done with brushing the rear wheels when the tyres for the showed up. A pair of Yokohama Advan Fleva's, from what I can tell these are basically S.Drives as they look almost identical to the S.Drives I've got on the front and you can't get S.Drives in a 195/45/16 anymore in the UK.

Polished up another 20 wheel bolts for one of the rears, another 20 left to go for the other wheel then it's off to the tyre shop.

And well that was day 1 of my week off, feeling very productive so far!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (03-13-2019),HarryB (02-26-2019),MaRcOp01o (02-25-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    So we come to day 2 of my week off, I started my morning polishing the remaining bolts for the SSR's and then torquing them up.

My dog came to help, but she ended up just sunbathing.

Ready to go to the tyre shop!

I'm still waiting on my spacers, but might as well throw one of them on right?

And what can I say, I'm more than happy with the outcome. I just can't wait for the spacers to arrive now so I can put all 4 on! Oh....and I need to roll the fenders

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (03-13-2019),MaRcOp01o (02-27-2019),MiataQuest (02-26-2019)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch m00se's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG '94 NA8T, mariner blue '91 stored
    Thanks Given
    This looks so legit! Light and stylish, perfect

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by m00se View Post
    This looks so legit! Light and stylish, perfect
    Thanks dude, much appreciated! Just trying to plan what to do next as it is. NC's are a tough one in some ways, not the most loved chassis so there isn't quite the amass of parts available that there is for NA's and NB's. And I also notice how little NC presence there is on this forum.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

m00se (02-28-2019),MaRcOp01o (02-27-2019)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch m00se's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG '94 NA8T, mariner blue '91 stored
    Thanks Given
    Yeah it's kind of sad to see so little love for the nc altough it's everything the others generations were. I think it's a mix of unrealistic expectations (new generation needs to be faster, lighter, better etc blabla) and glorification of the NA. NA owners see the plastic, the slightly heavier chassis and the relatively low hp numbers but forget that the NA is basically the same but older. If you drop NCs a bit, put nice wheels on and do some little changes to the interior you get an awesome roadster, just like you did. And just like every NA needs

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m00se For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (02-28-2019),sammjoey (02-28-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Aside from having to work yesterday so my week off got a bit disrupted, I went and picked up a fender roller and heat gun from my buddy as the rear tyres literally sat against the arch with 0 room, couldn't even get a business card between them!

So I got to work rolling them, nice and slowly with plenty of heat! I've never rolled fenders on my own before, but it went really smoothly. I also took the rear struts out while doing it so I could jack the suspension up all the way through the travel in order to check clearance all the way through. And now it is absolutely fine, I forgot to take any photos as by the time I finished the second fender a storm started.

Then we get to some things that didn't quite go to plan.
    The dash trim panel that I was painting....well I put clear coat on it, let it cure, then went to wet sand and buff it and went straight through the clear and the paint. I was suspicious over how the paint was building up anyway and wasn't finding the quality of it to be that great when I was spraying it, especially when the flakes that were meant to be in it were nowhere near as big as they should have been. So after this happening, I thought there's no reason to carry on wasting time on this and put it aside. I don't want to put more time into painting it so I have found some 3m vinyl that is close if not even better than what I was doing, so that is on order and on it's way from France.

The second thing being that today when I wanted to fit my extended studs, not only could I not get the caliper carrier off the rear, it was at this point I realised that my extended studs....were not so extended, in fact they're all different lengths with only 1 out of the 20 being as long as they should have been in my mind. A quick email and phone call and I'm told this is being rectified... If you couldn't tell I'm not having much luck getting the right parts lately.

Anyway I still felt accomplished today after rolling my first fenders without doing any paint damaged as well!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (03-13-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    So after sending my excess paint back and getting a refund from the seller as I decided I wasn't going to use my other cans of it if they're going to come out how the first one did. The vinyl that I had ordered from France had arrived, so I began by wrapping the dash trim panel:

Then my spacers finally arrived!

The quality on them is great and I'm very happy with the custom work Superforma did on there!
    I also grabbed some more lug nuts from them as they were reduced to clear so they were so cheap I couldn't say no!

I was worried about the spacers being wrong yet again but I got my parts inspector to check them out, she said they're all good.

Then this morning I wrapped one of the roll hoop covers as part of my de-silvering the interior, I'll get to wrapping the other one tomorrow morning.

I'm still to hear back about my now replacement extended studs, apart from when I was originally told "Send them back and we'll exchange them" with it nearly being a week gone by, I'm not expecting much from them now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

tsingson (03-14-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    A few days worth of updates really.
    I got around to wrapping the other roll hoop cover as well as the door handle caps which I wrapped with some of the offcuts as they're so small.

Then I began working on the front suspension set up as the replacement extended studs were arriving so I wanted to have the front now ready to go as the rear is.

In the process I had this caliper screw 'act up', after a brief encounter with a drill it was no longer.

Then the studs arrived in perfect time, I had literally just finished sorting the front suspension out and stripping it down to the hubs. After a bit of playing around, the studs fitted in! Time to put it down on the ground...

Not sure how literally I meant that, but there you go it's on the ground.

I then tried to turn my attention to the rear studs, after stripping one side down to the hub I realised something....this wasn't going to be possible. Despite having read from several sources stating that you can replace the rear wheel studs on NC's without taking the hub off. You simply can't as the rear assembly doesn't give you enough clearance to do so. I then spent some time speaking to a buddy of mine (the one who fitted my tyres), he should be able to help me pull the hub in order to change the studs. My only concern will be if the bearing comes apart when doing do.

After all this, I didn't want to be defeated today. I still wanted to see how it fully looked, so I still put the rear wheels on and just moved it around a little. There really isn't sufficient thread to be able to safely drive it. I really... really need the extended studs lol.

But anyway, enjoy some clean shots of how it sits.

����������

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

benpopham (03-14-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (03-13-2019),MiataQuest (03-13-2019),tsingson (03-14-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    NC is looking great! Every time I see a well done NC it makes me wish I had got one. Now you need some gauges from Adam aka Revlimiter!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

sammjoey (03-14-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    NC is looking great! Every time I see a well done NC it makes me wish I had got one. Now you need some gauges from Adam aka Revlimiter!
    Thanks!
    They're on my plans so don't worry. Just got some other bits to sort out first!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlex's Avatar
    Drives
    blue, white and two-tone
    Thanks Given
    never seen a mk3 on ssr mesh.... that really works.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atlex For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (03-14-2019),sammjoey (03-14-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atlex View Post
    never seen a mk3 on ssr mesh.... that really works.
    Thanks it does look so good. But well I don't think it'll be staying as it is, it's far too low and I'm hitting the subframe on what seems like flat ground. Everything on the underside is plated up, but it's never a nice sound. Oh and now my traction and abs lights have came on.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Man I want an NC.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post: