Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Samm's NC1 Sport project

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! sammjoey's Avatar
    Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given

Wink Samm's NC1 Sport project

Hello there!

After having my NC1 for nearly a year now, I think it's about time I started writing up about it.

So I picked up my NC1 about mid February of 2018.
    It's a UK spec Sport (American's know it as a GT?)

In my mind I'm taking a lot of different influences for the way in which I'll be building this NC so it won't be a typical auto cross or stance build.

Anyway, the first think I needed was a double din head unit as I've grown so accustom to having one and the lack of aux in drove me mad also. I also had new tyres fitted all round as they were nearly bald when I got it.

Shortly after that I installed a WorksBell Boss kit along with a Nardi Gara 3.

(After some snooping around I realised I had some Eibach springs already installed!)

Installed a K&N air filter and a Cobalt intake pipe as well as some new headlights as the originals were yellow and peeling.

Last edited by sammjoey; 02-20-2019 at 05:55 AM.
    NC1 Sport, BC Racing Coilovers, RE Amemiya AW7 Wheels.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

edizluv (02-20-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (02-19-2019),HarryB (02-20-2019),MaRcOp01o (02-20-2019),MiataQuest (02-20-2019),tsingson (02-20-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    That steering wheel really makes the interior pop!
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Miata Classic Red 1997 w/Tan interior
    Thanks Given
    You are on your way!!! Best to You!

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    And then gave the NC a much needed detail by hand (it still needs quite a bit more work if I'm honest, maybe one day I'll get it machine polished).

At some point I decided to purchase some Nissan Skyline R32 wheels.

I wasn't awfully happy with them once I received them so I sold them on (yes they're on winter tyres for some reason).

I had also test fitted my buddy's RPF1's (17x9 et45 w/ 255/45/17 Goodyears), they looked nice but too much tyre for my liking and needed a lot of arch work.

After that there was a lot of nothing (busy with life I'd say). Until I got my hands on some lightly used BC Racing coilovers a friend was selling after parting out their NC2.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

edizluv (02-20-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (02-20-2019),MiataQuest (02-20-2019),tsingson (02-20-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    That steering wheel really makes the interior pop!
    Thanks! I first bought it because I loved how OEM it looks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (02-20-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by CLZinn2 View Post
    You are on your way!!! Best to You!
    Thank you kind sir! There is much more to come, will get this build thread up to date and I also have a week off work next week which means lots of things happening!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LagBlu's Avatar
    Drives
    Laguna Blue´94 Eunos
    Thanks Given
    That steering wheel fits perfectly.
    I like the look with the RPF1.

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by LagBlu View Post
    That steering wheel fits perfectly.
    I like the look with the RPF1.
    Thanks! I do like them but they're not for me, maybe if they didn't have such chunky tyres as they were off my buddy's Mazdaspeed 3.

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    With the coilovers installed things were starting to look good!

I had also ordered some used wheels from Japan that took around 4 months to show up, but nevertheless they arrived and look great! They just need a light refurb on the lips due to some minor dinks and kurbing.

For those wondering they're SSR Formula Mesh in 16x7 et25 and 16x8 et25.

Then again life got in the way for a few months so nothing happened. Until I decided to get one of those Carbonmiata lips.

Next the following week I fitted some NA side skirts to add to the appearance of the new lip.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-20-2019),MiataQuest (02-20-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    I then picked up some shorter springs for my coilovers from a friend. As well as finding a so called "part worn" pair of Yokohama S Drives for the front wheels.

^ only picture I remembered to grab of Rich's NC when he was leaving!

^The total loot from this weekend

And now that brings me pretty much up to date!

Anyway I hope you like and enjoy whatever this car will become.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-20-2019)

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    So with a week off work, what can I do?

Well I decided to paint those new shorter springs in yellow as the're different colours but also starting to peel.

So they're now yellow!

I'll also now get into the refurbing of the SSR Meshes (as I've done some over the last couple of months, but I'm really getting into it while I'm off work).

My buddy KJ came down to see me and we spent some time working on the wheels by hand, sanding from 240 grit up to 2000 and then using some Autosol polish on them.

But after doing this for a while and experimenting, the idea has come to do the lips in a brushed finish. So that's what I've been working on currently.

I had to get some spacers in order for the inner barrels of the wheels to clear over the brake calipers, so now I can actually have the SSR's fitted on the car I'm now sanding and polishing them that way.
    So here's the first wheel that I've done the brushed finish lip on (it's about 90% done).

Also I've taken all of the bolts out and I'm polishing them up as well. So I left them to soak in coke over night and now I'm polishing them one by one with a bit of Autosol.

Anyway, that's it for now. Some more stuff is planned for the next month or so!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    While doing a weekly clean I had some extra time so I decided to detail the engine bay!

Before:

After:

Feeling good about my engine bay now, I also managed to get the other front wheel finished this week, so I took those tyres to get mounted.

Thanks to my buddy Tom who was down for this weekend and took them in his 3G Civic Hatch!

Jumping back to today where I decided to fit one of the fronts after cleaning.

Feeling extremely happy now that I've got the front wheels complete, and almost an exact match to the rendering that I had made around 6 months ago when I first purchased the wheels from Japan.
    However it's still not quite time for them to go on yet due to 1. It's winter in the UK. 2. I'm still needing 10mm hubcentric spacers all round as well as extended studs.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Had a day off work so I decided to get a couple of bits done even with this bitter cold spike that we currently have.

I braved the cold and decided to finally fit the shorter springs to my coilovers. I was originally putting this off until I the wheels were ready to go on. But I was beginning to become concerned with how the rear wheels would fit and then the springs not be short enough in some sense. But much to my surprise they were actually what currently seems to be perfect:

Short rear springs installed (leave the rusty brake rotor out of this, I will refresh them this year)

The cold got to me and I no longer had the effort to fit the front shorter springs so this is how it is currently sitting:

(which in all honesty isn't that bad or too far of where I'm wanting it to be)

But I did have time to have a little play around with the SSR's on the car now.
    So here's one of the front wheels fitted to the rear. I decided to do this as I was getting worried as I have said about the rear springs not being short enough for what I'm after or maybe having to bump up the rears from a 45 profile to a 50 when I get tyres for them.

I have also decided to get my camera back out in an attempt to get back into photography after taking a long time off after graduating with a major in Photography. There's been a lot of life stuff lately, but basically I took a year out of photography after University ruined it for me and made me never want to pick up a camera again. Which was such a shame to me after I have done countless web features and magazine features, including having written for SpeedHunters.

So an update on the SSR wheels, well there is no update on them since I put the front tyres on. I'm planning on spending one of my days off refinishing the rear lips and polishing their bolts to complete them. Once they're done I will be ordering some extended studs, 10mm hubcentric spacers and new lug nuts so I can finally install them. But really this is a few months out and I wouldn't want to run the wheels over winter after putting in so many hours to refinishing them, just to see the dull out in a short while leading me to have to refinish them again.

Anyway here's another shot that I took with my camera today after washing the NC also.

Peace.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Well I guess it wouldn't be a build thread on any forum without having someone hit your car....
    So this morning my neighbor drove into the back of the NC. No idea how as I wasn't awake. But he did eventually come and confess and say's he'll be making it right.

Not as bad as it could be I guess, but it's hassle I could do without. Anyway it seems to just be paint transfer so hopefully it doesn't go deep and can be buffed out.

So I managed to clay, buff and polish the damage!

However, under the lower mark there is cracks in the paint and it has made an edge so I will still need to take it to the shop.

I came home from work to find that the spacers I ordered had been delivered!

However, that excitement was short lived as soon as I realised I had been sent 5mm spacers rather than 10mm, in addition to this the center bore on them is also wrong.

I might avoid doing anything tomorrow as it seems nothing can go right this week.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

Drives
    True Red 2006 NC1
    Thanks Given
    Well we're now up to date on the thread!
    I've got a week off work coming up next week so I am stocking up on parts and bits to keep myself busy.

So I think I'll take some time to address a few things.
    The dilemma with the spacers is now sorted, as you know I was sent the wrong thickness 5mm not 10mm. The vendor was quick to thick this, apart from the fact he then sent me 4x114.3 instead! After a few harsh words were exchanged with him (as you could imagine I feel rather annoyed and insulted to be sent the wrong product twice in a row). He then supposedly realised there was a supplier issue where the spacers had been drilled wrong. I didn't really want to believe him, why would I after being sent the wrong thing twice, you'd of thought he'd of checked to ensure the first replacements were correct. Anyway, he has fully refunded me so I have now ordered spacers to be custom made by Supaformer which should be getting machined soon.

Then there was the issue with my neighbor reversing into the car, after he spent some time avoiding me, I was able to catch him tonight when he got home from work. To which my surprise once I had confronted him he has apologized fully and he is going to be giving me the cash to take it to the body shop to get the crack in the rear bumper fixed. I might also get the holes plugged where a shop just random screwed the number plate in, that way I can run a Jap size plate without having horrible drilled holes left over.

Only a couple more days to go then I'll be having quite a few big updates over my week off, so peace out for now.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammjoey For This Useful Post:

CollinMB (02-20-2019),MaRcOp01o (02-20-2019)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast