Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood pins, traditional and aerocatch, you’ve had them a while now....

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Infedora's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 White
    Thanks Given

Hood pins, traditional and aerocatch, you’ve had them a while now....

I know this topic has been visited in the past, but now those of you who have/had them for awhile probably have some thoughts about the choice. Are you glad you did it? What would you do if you were to do it over again?

I personally can’t see much benefit on a non track car, but I am partial to the shiny rings and clips that were on the muscle cars of my youth. So, what are your thoughts, and is it true it results in a 3-5 hp gain on 1.6 cars?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    On an OEM hood...?

Drives
    1990 White
    Thanks Given
    Yes. This is obviously an aesthetics question. The OEM latch works just fine. Of course, so did the original tires and rims.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infedora For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (03-05-2019),Slampen (03-05-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Miata Classic Red 1997 w/Tan interior
    Thanks Given
    I had hood pins on my 1st car (a 1974 Nova SS) and they added a step to opening the hood as you could not take out the factory latch it would rattle. They looked cool on a muscle type car (by 1974 there wasn't much muscle left). Then I had them on me Jeep CJ-5 to eliminate the side latches and same thing I had to retain the factory latch, but again they looked cool and different from all the other CJ's. I don't think they would look right on a Miata, at least not the same type and like I said for a street car you have to retain the factory latch or the rattling will drive you nuts and if you adjust them not to rattle a groove will form on the round disk below it and will look horrible in no time flat. Racing that's another story as you would probably save weight so it would be worth it but I'd still use another style pin then the old muscle car type if for nothing else but to look better because they would look out of place...I THINK. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLZinn2 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (03-05-2019)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Infedora View Post
    Yes. This is obviously an aesthetics question. The OEM latch works just fine. Of course, so did the original tires and rims.

ITT: OP posts looking for confirmation on a decision he's already made. Someone replies. OP gets mad.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given
    I have Aerocatches on my car with the OEM latch completely removed. Including the hook on the hood. This allows for a hole-less cover over the front of the radiator. With lots of use, they wear a bit, would rotate past center, and then be hard to rotate back. Lube did not help at that point. This was on a race car that had a high number of repetitive uses over a couple of years though. The ones on my street car have been fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Satisaii For This Useful Post:

Midtenn86 (03-06-2019)

Drives
    1990 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster7 View Post

ITT: OP posts looking for confirmation on a decision he's already made. Someone replies. OP gets mad.
    Nope. OP just curious. OP rarely gets mad, but does appreciate learning from the experience of others.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infedora For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (03-05-2019),Roadster7 (03-05-2019)

Idling - Listen to it purr... LanceMach's Avatar
    Drives
    97 Miata, 67 Mustang
    Thanks Given
    I have the hood pins on my 67 Mustang and the hood does not rattle (you can adjust the pins and the hood bumpers so that the pins hold it tight. My buddy has the Aerocatch latches on his 66 (Mustang - not Miata!!) and I love the look on his car (his car is black, so they blend in and look badass). If I was doing it again, I'd probably go with the Aeorcatch: easy to forget to put the pins in on the old school setup (I haven't yet, thankfully!).

My son has the Aerocatch on his 96 and they look great - I have a set and will be putting them on my 97 as soon as I can get off my butt and get some other things done first.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LanceMach For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (03-05-2019)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    For-what-it's-worth: In a LOT of the V8-swap reading I've done, people miss their factory hood release.

I'm staying as stealthy as possible, so despite the efficiency of the Z06-intake, I'll be using a more conventional setup and retaining my stock hood catch.

V8R's red NB shop car has chrome pins and surrounds, and personally, I think it looks like an afterthought. That car uses the front intake, so it needs them. But between the two pin options, I'd use the AeroCatch ones.

-Matt

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Get some Aerocatch Latches http://miataroadster.com/aerocatch/a...t/g-56416.aspx

Bill @ MiataRoadster sells the legit ones, so beware of the china knockoffs selling for less on eBay and Amazon

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Infedora View Post
    You think so till you install hood pins and see the hood essentially has no movement at speed. Had Aerocatch locking hood pins on Warbird...

....and plan on doing another set on Misfire. In fact even with the factory hood latch removed the hood didn't move once the hood pins were engaged. Stock hood latches are for Sunday drivers.

P.S.- I have more pics(better angles) of them once installed but don't have time to dig thru Warbird's build thread to find them.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 03-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I have the ring type latches from Sparco on Sharka. They're needed for the fiberglass Garage Vary hood, which is quite flexible. It has the OEM latch as well, but without the pins it flaps around a ton.

The hood originally had this type of latch, though in a rusty and cruddy state. I just replaced them with the same thing when I got it and had it painted.

For my own car, I like the looks of the chrome ring type. But I'd much rather have the Aerocatch type. They just work better.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    I have the ring type latches from Sparco on Sharka. They're needed for the fiberglass Garage Vary hood, which is quite flexible. It has the OEM latch as well, but without the pins it flaps around a ton.

The hood originally had this type of latch, though in a rusty and cruddy state. I just replaced them with the same thing when I got it and had it painted.

For my own car, I like the looks of the chrome ring type. But I'd much rather have the Aerocatch type. They just work better.
    In your application, Adam, they work and look the part. On a car with rally stripes or a consistent, vintage race-car type theme... I'd say they can work really well.

-Matt

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chorne1787's Avatar
    Drives
    a 95 m edition
    Thanks Given
    Agree with Adam (revlimiter) my GV hood came with them and I’m not personally a fan but I feel on the bright Teal of the car the chrome will look nice and they do keep the hood from moving around

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    More pics as promised:

Also mine were the bottom mount type, as in mounted from the bottom so they are as flush as possible. The downside is you can't cover up any small paint chips, etc. that may occur. Will probably go with the top mount style this time around but if being flush or more aerodynamic is more important than go with the bottom mount type as pictured above.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast