Thread: Miatas Before the Gap - 2019 | Powered by KMiata

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Miatas Before the Gap - 2019 | Powered by KMiata

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-03-2019),MiataQuest (04-03-2019),Professor Dwight (04-14-2019),SigmaX (04-10-2019),tsingson (04-02-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Cement Grey '95
    Thanks Given
    Signed up!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midtenn86 For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (04-03-2019),tsingson (04-03-2019)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I’ve been on a lot of tracks, this one is still one of my favorites in these cars.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Midtenn86 (04-04-2019),tsingson (04-03-2019)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SigmaX's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 Miata, 2013 BMW 135is
    Thanks Given
    My comments from 2018:
    The facility: AMP is a motorsports country club (with a base membership cost of $10000), not a motorsports competition facility. You can definitely tell the difference, from the lack of on-site food facility to the fact the main building contains a couple conference rooms and carpeting, but no large track map. The split paddock is a little odd, but the paddock itself is small enough it's not a huge problem. The single set of restrooms for us plebs is a little strange too. The on-site shop holds mostly driver safety gear, some misc. vehicle safety gear, nothing in the way of spare parts or typical trackday stuff - couldn't even sell me shop towels. The owner is a really cool guy, was nice enough to chat with me about seats (and their fitment into Miatas), and with a ton of racing experience. Racing Analytics is the on-site mechanics/tuning shop, with one focus on Spec Miatas. I hung out and chatted with them for about 20 minutes, and they did a no-extra-charge swap of pads and rotors on my Miata in about an hour without batting an eye. I'll be trailering the Miata back down to have them do some race prep work in the future.

The track: I can't decide if AMP was designed by a sadist, or an elitist. It is a highly technical track favoring lower-powered vehicles. There is a huge amount of elevation change, and every other corner is a blind, off-camber, tightening radius turn designed to test your throttle control and vehicle weight handling. However, there is plenty of well-designed runoff and safety barriers that make an off-road excursion less scary than it might otherwise be. Quite fun.

The event: Almost all of my trackdays have been with national amateur competition motorsports orgs, so my bias of comparison slants towards that. First off, I have to say I was really disappointed by the last-minute changes to rules and schedules. Many people (including myself) were coming from several states away, and changing requirements last-minute is REALLY unprofessional. Any changes not forced on the hosting org. should be locked out AT LEAST a week before go-day. The ancillaries were very nice - coffee, donuts, stickers, pizza for lunch, giveaways, etc. Not something I would expect at a "typical" trackday event at all; and with a REALLY low cost of entry I suspect the sponsors were heavily involved in the final bill. The lack of paddock-wide announcements was a real hassle; keeping track of the run groups' orders was all based on the watch. This hurt especially when crashes and spills on track caused delays and re-ordering of run groups. There seemed to be a relatively low number of entrants, which was nice for keep the track clear and allowing movement between run groups. The sessions were set at 15 minutes, which I really feel is too low. Not counting the warmup and cooldown laps, I was seeing 6 hot laps, depending on traffic. I would have preferred fewer, 20 or 25-minute sessions. Driver's meeting seemed fairly typical, except going over instruction better left for the classroom (like flag meanings). Classroom instruction for the beginner's group was... odd, I'll say. Spending the first classroom session having the safety gear shop owner talking about safety gear, and not a driving instructor talking about driving safety issues, had me shrugging my shoulders. My in-car instructor, I have no negative comments with; but individual instructor quality always varies person-to-person. Once I told him my experience level he was happy to bump me up a group and really only had an issue with my habit of using lift-off oversteer to correct my lines midcorner (which I totally understand, it's not something a typical novice, or even intermediate on this track, should be doing).
    And a couple of external videos of sessions:

Personally I am still debating going or not, really just due to car prep and scheduling issues. I'm taking a big, expensive vacation the week after MBTG. It's a good value for money and a good amount of track time compared to HPDE events where the track is shared with race groups.
    Last edited by SigmaX; 04-10-2019 at 12:55 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SigmaX For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (04-10-2019),tsingson (04-10-2019)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    We know the rules changing was an error on our part. We worked them out and relaxed them after much debate and counsel advice.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

SigmaX (04-10-2019),tsingson (04-10-2019)

Drives
    Cement Grey '95
    Thanks Given
    I know a few people who came down ran afoul of AMP's sound limits last year weren't happy. I didn't see it posted anywhere on the event information. I know my car comes just under the limit (hi-compression VVT, RB header, test pipe, and Magnaflow exhaust. Per AMP's website, "The limit is 98 db at 50 feet from track edge, inside and outside for cars"

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    We get a few black flags for sound at AMP. It happens and we try to work with drivers to tell them where the mic is. 98dB is pretty easy to stay under, though.

Drives
    Cement Grey '95
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    We get a few black flags for sound at AMP. It happens and we try to work with drivers to tell them where the mic is. 98dB is pretty easy to stay under, though.
    I agree its not hard to stay within the limits, but the few I spoke with who were upset said if they'd known before they'd brought their "quiet" setup.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Can’t win ‘em all. ;)