Thread: Audio-Exciters In Lieu Of Speakers

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    LFX NC Miata
    Thanks Given

Audio-Exciters In Lieu Of Speakers

My NC PRHT without Bose had the typical horrible audio quality.

After upgrading the door speakers, even with a third party audio head, the tweeters were over weighted with the rear speakers muted. Upping the rear audio output degraded the overall sound quality.

Thought a subwoofer was in order, but couldn't find one that preserved the modest passenger room or would fit in the limited space available with the PRHT deletion of the storage space.

I realized the puny 4" speakers in the rear was the major weakness in the audio system and thought about upgrading the speakers while keeping within the given 4" space. Needless to say, physics limits what you can get out of such a small speaker.

Then I ran across this YouTube video talking about Dayton Audio-Exciters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkyGDqU7xA

I thought why not mount them on the hatch covers and use the hatch cover as the sound element. Bought some 40 watt units from Amazon. Mounted them in a corner of the hatch cover per the instructions. The unit I selected was moisture protected and mounted with a wood screw. I epoxied a small plywood block and secured it with screws from the front and screwed in the unit.

I am extremely pleased with the results and can pump 40 watts offered by the head unit. Actually can get usable sound levels at 60MPH with the top down.

You won't get chest thumping base like a subwoofer, but you get natural sound.
    AudioExciter.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to djwarner For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-03-2019)