Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts

The Road to Karuizawa

Work needed me to be in Tokyo for meetings last week and then another one was scheduled on Monday in Kyoto. With Karuizawa in between it would have been rude not to go, right? Especially since I was giving up my Memorial day weekend. If you opened this post I’m guessing you know what this is about and are interested in seeing the cars. If so, get a cup of tea or mug of coffee and let me boar you with my journey to Karuizawa. *WARNING* This is not just a car feed! I’ve added a bunch of pics and color commentary from the trip.

If you don’t know, Karuizawa is an annual roadster meet that has been taking place in May since 1993. 138 people attended the first one, nearly 2k cars last year with just over 1,100 this year but only because the parking space was limited. In the original "Ask for participants", it was written: "Please bring the feeling to enjoy the Roadster!". Judging by the attendees that mantra holds true as much today as it did in the beginning. Karuizawa is a ski resort 90 minutes north of Tokyo by bullet train.

So, at the start of my journey I left Monday and landed Tuesday after 11 hours of flight time from LAX coupled with a 17 hour time change.

Inflight entertainment helps pass the time.. even if you’ve already watched the particularly movie in question atleast a dozen times or more.

Get used to not understanding much of what you’ll eat but expect it will taste really amazing.. or atleast completely interesting.

Always land at Haneda if you can (Narita almost seems more known but it takes a lot longer to get to Tokyo)

The first thing that always blows me away (after the humidity drains your jetlagged soul) is the cars. From my math, the vast majority, like 83.7%, are cars that have never been exported to the US. The delightful and colorful old school taxi’s…

…to the new school vans (with a face only a mother could love). They have so very many vans, kei vans are my favorite…

A few days of meetings and then a work trip to Akihabra to check out the retail environment

Of course there was a simply beautiful and completely period correct TR6 just nonchalantly driving along…

And eating in Shinjuku

Friday was a load more meetings that wrapped so it was time to have a little fun. Some form of social media informed me that Ben (benpopham/ CarMakeCornsUK) was going to be there too so a perfect opportunity to start adventuring with someone that had more experience getting around Japan. We met up to train out to the CMC HQ.

The only roadster content in my past trips to Japan has been getting out to Corns but I’ve gone every time and its always a delight. A short enough trip from central Tokyo and a wonderful experience with amazing people and a long history back to my earliest HyperRevs and Road&sters. I think Tomoyo said they opened 23 years ago. Looking around the shop is like being on a treasure hunt. There are always so many interesting surprises. Almost came home with a set of NOS tan seatbelts but didn’t want to start too much shopping ahead of Karuizawa. Besides, Tomio was already holding a large package for me that he’d help win on YJA many months ago.

A little KINOD and RevLimiter repping (gutted I didn’t have a sticker to hand for MR.net.. sorry Randy)

Behind those secret doors, the hidden treasures didn’t disappoint…

And there at the side of the building was an 1002. A very pretty one indeed. Such a beautiful color combination…

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (05-30-2019),fwdtamiya (06-12-2019),JamieH (06-02-2019),LagBlu (05-30-2019),MiataQuest (05-30-2019),Phatmiata (05-30-2019),Roadster7 (05-30-2019),tsingson (05-30-2019),ueru (05-30-2019),vote4pedro (06-01-2019)