Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY dual fan mod

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by silvermazda View Post
    hm...anyone ever measured the amp load on the fans? I was thinking it was bad to suddenly want an extra 10+ amps. I did this mod a different way.
    I hooked up the T-splice and eventually manually ground it to a switch. AKA AC fan on demand (gotta find a 190-200F circuit breaker/thermal switch).
    And second hooked up the non func. AC or jumping the pressure switch so I can actuate the AC fan when I press my AC switch. So I have 2 ways right now.

why?
    Because I'm hoping keeping the engine in a constant temp will give better mileage/performance (I've seen it richen when hot).
    Second, constant temp at stop lights, periods of slow movement/hill climbing.

this mod is very effective on cars with front mount intercooler setups. As to my ride I simply connected the fans together with the vampire connectors and forgot about it. It works!!

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    I did this mod. First with a switch and then with just a jumper. I used the exact same materials. Same year car. 02. Mine will run the driver's side fan whenever the AC is on but when the driver's side fan comes on the AC fan doesn't run! Any thoughts on why?

Thanks!!
    02, 6 speed, ABS, 6 ULs, RS3s, Big Grip Kit, XP8s, Ultrashield, Schroth, IC Rotrex w/80mm pulley, AEM FIC, Hard Dog roll and door bars

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    This mod forces the AC fan to run in conjunction with the radiator fan coming on and that is determined by the engine temp sensor.

As far as I know, the AC fan doesn't run every moment it is on, rather as needed for the AC depending on temp. In other words, this mod makes the AC fan help out the radiator fan but not the other way around.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Blue '97 PEP
    Thanks Given
    Doesn't the radiator fan turn on whenever the ac fan turns on anyway? I thought that's why we used the A/C button to determine if we have working fans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12