Thread: Eyeball vent alternative...

Idling - Listen to it purr... jester911's Avatar
    Drives
    Sapphire Blue 99'AE
    Thanks Given

Eyeball vent alternative...

This isn't a huge deal but I never have liked the eyeball vents in the NA I had or my current NB. Originally the idea I saw was using the vents from an Eclipse.

I could not find any Eclipse vents but found a good alternative on evilbay. These are only 3 bucks each so you can't go wrong. On evilbay search "Auto RV small vent louver dash".
    You need to use your existing parts other than the eyeball itself.

These vents are only about 1/2" deep so they need to slide into the existing vent excluding the eyeball itself of course. You need to remove the ring on the front that retains the eyeball and replace back into the round duct.

Once you replace the retaining ring you now need to remove approximately 1/16" around the inside circumference of the ring. There is a tapered lip there made to allow the vent to rotate. This lip needs to be removed to allow the new vent to slide inside it. I actually did it with a sharp knife and some sandpaper to smooth it out.

So once you get the ring the proper size to allow the new vent to pop in install them back into the dash before putting in the new vent. This will allow you to align the vent where you want the first time. Keep in mind these vents will not rotate like the Eclipse ones but they can be popped out and adjusted if needed.

Just keep in mind that once you do this you can't revert back to the old vents without new retaining rings.
    This only took me an hour or so. The hardest part of the job was removing the vents.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    99' 10AE #2763

Idling - Listen to it purr... jester911's Avatar
    Drives
    Sapphire Blue 99'AE
    Thanks Given
    In the car...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    99' 10AE #2763