Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My NB Daily Driver - Harbinger

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    That's not what I'm trying to figure out! lol It's getting powdercoated regardless, I'm just trying to figure out the color scheme.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Ahh well, then what are you thinking between????

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Originally some mix of black, red, and silver, silver being the cam gears. But now I'm considering other colors. lol Indecisive as always.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Today I removed the DIY coldside intake I've had and installed a DDMWorks "Stage 2" intake. The butt dyno claims the DIY intake lost a little low end power but gained some up top vs stock. The DDM intake seems to have recovered that low end power and has kept the top end power too. I only took a short test drive so I have yet to decide how I'll like it long term.

I can't say I'd recommend it at $350 new (especially with no one having any dyno charts of it vs. stock), but if you can find one used like I did that's definitely the way to go. It cleans up the engine bay quite nicely as well. My only gripe is that the intake pipe rests pretty firmly against the upper radiator hose, going to see if I can do something about that to prevent some of the heat transference. *edit* I actually fixed this. It was a matter of loosening the clamps at the throttle body and MAF, holding the pipe up away from the hose slightly, and then tightening the clamps. Keeps a good gap between the two now. Cars with a stock sized radiator probably won't even have this issue.

Last edited by RotorNutFD3S; 03-19-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    As of a few days ago I've had this car for 4 years. When I bought it in 2010 it was only going to be a temporary daily driver until I found another NA to turn into a permanent/project car. Funny how plans change, I also got somewhat attached as I molded this car into something of my own.

Anyway, this showed up a couple weeks ago, had to wait a bit for shipping from the other side of the world. I'm having the brake master cylinder brace welded onto the "correct" side and then I'll strip the whole thing and apply fresh powdercoat. It's not bad but it's showing some age (scratches and missing spots of coating). It's also crazy light, I was really surprised when I picked it up.

AutoExe Powdercoat.jpg

AutoExe Shock Tower Brace.jpg

I had a bit of a scare recently when I noticed that my OPG was showing very low oil pressure, as in 1-2 psi at hot idle. I picked up an external gauge and found that the pressure was still very much ok (whew), but discovered that a replacement sender for my gauge was about $100 since I'm well out of the warranty period, by about 8 years. lol A little research revealed that Autometer used the same sender for the similar full sweep electric fuel pressure gauges, which is something I had a spare of, so swapped that in last night and all is well with the gauge again. Kinda nice knowing that the lifeblood of the engine is ok.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

atank (03-19-2014),Phatmiata (03-27-2014),WASABI (03-19-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Loving this build, so very nice!!!!!!!! Great work Eric!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

RotorNutFD3S (03-19-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Anthony!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

atank (03-19-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The time finally came to take care of my front/rear main seals, timing belt, clutch, engine mounts, etc. Started the day off with a compression test, right around 185 across the board, so good there. Then we proceeded to yank the drivetrain out as I find it to be a much easier method for this type of project in a home garage environment. It also lets me get everything good and clean.

Getting the last little bits out of the way:

The engine put up a bit of a fight, but we got it. The car is now making 1 RotorNutPower.

Tomorrow I'll be doing the actual timing belt, seals, etc., I'm waiting for some parts from the coaters and I have some other small projects to do over the week while the car is down, so I should have everything wrapped up and back on the road next weekend. In the meantime I'm stuck driving my little brother's MP62 10AE, so you know, I'll basically be miserable.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-28-2014),WASABI (04-28-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    If you happened to be in town and attended The Mitty this weekend and made your way past the FM tent, then you probably saw my car hanging out with Whiskers, which is FM's Catfish kit car.

I'll be writing a more detailed post later on outlining the project as I usually do, but over the past couple of weeks I secretly stuffed some more power in the form of a turbo and other new parts into the engine bay just in time for The Mitty:

Last edited by RotorNutFD3S; 04-28-2014 at 02:48 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-28-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    teaser shot? what kinda horsepower tricks are you talking about?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    One evening I was discussing V8 swaps with my wife and how I had basically written one off for a couple years when she surprised me and told me that I should just install a turbo for the meantime. I didn't give her a chance to change her mind. I've pieced together quite a few "budget" kits and while I thought about going that route again, I realized this time I wanted new parts and didn't want to take the time to chase parts down, so I ordered a kit directly from FM. Since my car was used as a test mule by DIYAutoTune for the MSPnP Gen2 I decided to buy one of those for my car, but in the meantime I'm utilizing the Voodoo box that came with the kit and enjoying 8psi. There will be more on the MS when I get a chance to order larger injectors and have the time to install and tune.

Last shot of the "before" engine bay:

After getting the engine out and cleaned up, the first order of business was removing the old exhaust manifold studs, a few put up a fight, but that didn't last long:

New vs. old (from MiataRoadster):

New studs installed and torqued:

Started working on the timing belt and such, front of the engine was still a bit dirty:

So I cleaned it up. It's not polished, but it's better. I also coated the cam gears:

New timing belt and seals installed and the covers reinstalled, along with new MSM engine mounts:

Cleaned up and coated the upper half of the subframe, along with the entrance to the transmission tunnel. Can't always see it, but it's there:

Meanwhile I was getting the hotside parts ceramic coated, more so for long term aesthetics:

Things getting buttoned up and checking to see what the new valve cover looks like:

Installed the manifold:

And then hung the turbo:

Stage 8 hardware between the manifold and turbo and and Nord-Lock washers for the rest:

This is the FM coldside piping with their prototype Throttle Body Inlet Elbow. The IAT port and blow-off/bypass valve are all integrated into the silicone pipe. There's a short 3" coupler in between the lower pipe and elbow:

IAT port, will come in handy when the MS goes in:

Slightly used FM Happy Meal going in, starting with the 10.3 lb flywheel:

The rest of the clutch:

All buttoned up and ready to install in the engine bay:

Engine in the bay:

Hotside all buttoned up, including the FM hardlines, along with the Fab9 COP kit:

Everything installed, well aside from the hood and AutoEXE brace:

Finally got my FM Shroud and SPAL fans installed, I also linked the trigger wires so no matter which fan is coming on both fans run:

Front bumper trimmed for the intercooler piping and installed, the intercooler is black and hides very well in the mouth:

And that's about it. The majority of the work was done over the course of two weekends with some help, along with a few days after work thrown in there as well. I have definitely missed having boost in my own car. The Voodoo is very capable but does have it's limitations too, not just in boost limit, but in terms of control. I knew all that going in, but it does play well with the stock ECU so passing yearly emissions and retaining boost will not be an issue at all.

Tonight I used larger weather sealing and sealed up the intake box as best as possible as I've noticed that when the fans run my IATs spike pretty quickly, so I'll see if that helps. One thing I definitely want to tackle is adding more shrouding so the heat exchangers are as efficient as possible. The car is in no danger of overheating in general daily driving or long drives or even Mitty parade laps, but I know it can be better.
    Last edited by RotorNutFD3S; 05-05-2014 at 08:12 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

atlnb (06-26-2014),Greasemonkey2000 (02-27-2016),tsingson (05-14-2014),WASABI (05-14-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    And a previously posted photo, but you can see that I had the AutoEXE brace modified. The brake master cylinder brace was swapped and installed in the correct position for USDM cars and it makes a huge difference:

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

atank (05-14-2014),Greasemonkey2000 (02-27-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Well 500 miles later and everything is great mechanically. The car runs and drives awesome, full throttle and 8 psi is an absolute blast, made me realize how much I missed having a boosted Miata. Ultimate plan is around 10-12 psi, seeing what that puts down on a dyno, and leaving it there.

Next items up on the to do list are buying larger injectors and installing the MS as well as installing the Wilwood brake proportioning valve.
    Last edited by RotorNutFD3S; 05-13-2014 at 09:39 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

ueru (05-14-2014),WASABI (05-14-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Nice work! Im in for video of the dyno pulls, and results page!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-14-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Great work Eric, looks very clean and it was done right the first time!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast