Thread: Uninstalling a Security system Wiring ?

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Twilight Blue 99
    Thanks Given

Uninstalling a Security system Wiring ?

So I started to install a new center console on my NB and found a little on/off switch right next to the trunk and fuel release. I disconnected it and started following it forward to under the dash. I have everything else figured out except for one orange/yellow? wire, I've looked at a few diagrams but and couldn't find an obvious solution any ideas

Really wishing I wasn't colorblind and had another NB to look at right now
    Last edited by Das Miata; 05-18-2012 at 08:25 AM.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    I am unsure about you particular set up, but I have removed a few security systems (and about 4 pounds of wires) from a couple Miatas. I found it pretty easy to look at the path of each wire, and assess it individually. Looks like you have a couple vampire connections...easy to take off, then wrap with electrical tape. I did find that there was one spot where I had to re connect the power to the ignition (large red wire) because the alarm was spliced into that wire...again easy to do, just take your time.

-Jim

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    The two big white wires with black stripe are power and depending on position of the key in the ignition switch will energize the red wire with black stripe to start the car.

The way it's wired now is almost how I'd do a basic start button but since this is an alarm, that looks to be a starter interrupt. One of the big white wires with black stripe is completely severed so it will have to be reconnected with a butt connector.

Drives
    Twilight Blue 99
    Thanks Given
    Well I went for it everything is out

I'm left with a hanging orange wire....the car starts up fine etc but still attempting to figure out what it's for or where it goes since it has to be Oem*

Drives
    Twilight Blue 99
    Thanks Given
    Just incase anyone searches this later and runs into some issues. The solid orange wire is part of a relay that was tucked really far under the dash. So it's not Oem and the reason why I couldn't find it on any wiring diagram all and all the uninstall wasn't bad about an hour of frustration and one of those damn that was easy moments.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Thanks for following up on that. It is a very nice courtesy that doesn't go unnoticed. Too often a thread is left unfinished, leaving future searchers at a dead end.