Thread: First-time Autocross Impression

Idling - Listen to it purr... MarcoSTEEZ's Avatar
    Drives
    2002 Sunlight Silver
    Thanks Given

First-time Autocross Impression

So this past weekend I drove my first real sanctioned Autocross event. Its was put on by the Porsche Club of America at the Bank Atlantic Center (Panther's stadium). I really enjoyed it. It gave me some much needed seat time in this car. I learned that tires are everything. I felt pretty confident in the car with just the coilovers and tires. On the car are K Sport Kontrol pro and Federal 595 Rs-R's. I was suuuuper pleased with them. Tons of grip, very predictable, no squealing, no crazy temperate fluctuation. Overall, the car was balanced as hell. I started off with 33psi rear and 35psi front. The shocks set at 16 (out of 32) which is medium for the front and 2 (Soft) for the rear. 9k Front and 7k rear springs. Ride height is what some of you old men would call "too low". I am barely tucking tire. I feel that i'm right at the limit of what is accepted as a "functional" height. There's plenty of travel, get off my nuts. I experienced no janky rubbing or excessive body roll, mainly because the coilovers can actually perform. The only contact was the front bumper hitting on one or two spots where the surface dips hard. Other than that, gravy. I didn't experience any understeer, like I said, the suspension did its job.

My first few runs (not recorded) were with an instructor who talked me through the layout, I started filming on my second set of runs.
    Since it was a Porsche event, there were lots of old men in there even older 944's and 928's that were about to die. Apexscalpel's old NA, a gaggle of bone stock MS3's, some 996 turbos driven by 25 year old kids with too much money and not enough balls, etc, etc. I actually laid down a few competitive times. The fastest cars were an EvoX, a 3rd gen MR S, a few Caymans, an Rx8. To put into perspective, My best time was a 58.59. The majority of the 50-something cars weren't breaking into the 50's. Most were in the low and mid 60's. The really slow cars were in the 70's The Evo put down a 54 and the MR S spyder, a 56. I felt confidant for my first time driving the car hard. Hopefully I can keep it up and get more and more experience.

Let me know what you guys think. Opinions, comments, shit-talking, tips, pointers, etc more than welcome.

Car Btw is an 02 with (obviously) a VVT motor. Bone stock other than the HKS Super Power Flow on the cold side. Enjoy!

Watch in HD

SWAGSWAGSWAG

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    That's a fairly wide-open course. If I were to critique the technique, it looks like you are entering some of the corners too soon. You seem to be looking far enough down the course.

Auto-x is good learning technique and the car, but I don't believe it offers enough seat time. HPDEs, imho, give you a better opportunity to learn and improve but at added risk.

The biggest error I see people doing auto-x commit is messing with the car rather than improving their skill. I went back to autocross when I stopped racing ITA for a while and in my stock '92 I was crushing 98% of the field. It's all about the driver, so leave the car alone and improve yourself. Most of all, just have fun.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Brilliant Black
    Thanks Given
    I would remove the cross hanging from the rearview mirror next time. It distracted me from watching most of your run.

I liked the placement of the GoPro for the 2nd run. The 2nd corner around 3:34 you should have taken much wider. I liked the little drift around 4:10. Really nice for your first time. Hope I'm that good when I do one.
    1996 Brilliant Black 2,020lbs wet.

Drives
    2002 Sunlight Silver
    Thanks Given
    Bump! Watch my video. Give me your thoughts.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1994 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Glad you were finally able to make it to an event. Your driving looks good and I liked the layout they had. Hopefully you continue to go to these and we can hit up a bunch of events in the fall after I finish my car. I guess no other people we know went?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! mhogan0's Avatar
    Drives
    91 1.8 Miata
    Thanks Given
    am I wrong or was that entire course in 2nd gear
    Praise be to Jah giver of speed and brakes, and the sense to know when to downshift

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LOL's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Marina Green Mica M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Do you have after market top hats on your rear coilovers?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Ciotti's Avatar
    Drives
    99' STR build
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mhogan0 View Post
    am I wrong or was that entire course in 2nd gear
    Yup, %99 of autocross is spent in 2nd which makes these cars feel like they actually have some power

As far as the video goes, I couldn't see much with the seats in the way but as an instructor for the past 4+ years I can tell you that you did great for your first event but that you don't want to start over thinking things right now. Right now you just want to get as much seat time as possible to train your brain to operate in the fast forward mode that you get with an autocross as the cones are whizzing past and you're throwing the car back and forth as quick as your hands can move.

Don't blame anything on the car either, right now it's all about your driving.

From what I could see between the seats you're doing the same thing as all the new people I work with and you're waiting until you get to the corner/cone to turn the steering wheel. As you get more seat time you'll learn to connect all of the corners together and turn before you get to the cones but it's probably a bit early for you to start doing that because it's easy to turn in TOO early which can be worse/slower than what you're doing right now.

Seat time, have fun, and use the hell out of the instructors
    @CiottiMonkey on the Instagram
    www.Facebook.com/CiottiIndustries
    1999 STR Miata: Tein Flex Racing Beat header, exhaust, 1.125" sway bar, and braces Carbing STB KAAZ diff 949 15x9's 225 Rivals

Drives
    2002 Sunlight Silver
    Thanks Given
    LOL: I do not have any top hats. Id like to though. Why do you ask? And thanks Ciotti for the insight. I do appreciate it. Good things to know. I am really looking forward to getting back in the car and just driving more.
    Last edited by MarcoSTEEZ; 07-22-2012 at 11:21 AM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LOL's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Marina Green Mica M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Because if you say you are even close to tucking tire, there's not enough travel in the rear. I had the same issue when I had those coilovers.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I still remember my first autocross and my first ride with a really fast driver. No ride I ever take in the future will ever match that. Man... that was like 15 years ago and I still remember it like it was earlier this afternoon.