Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Vindi Roadsters

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! vindi49's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Just for me really, but I think this is whats left to do...

Attach Vacuum block / all vacuum pipes
    Move clutch reservoir and fit fuel pipes
    Sort Air filter/s
    Complete wiring on engine
    Refit gauge pod
    Make cover for ECU
    Fit battery box / battery
    Put oil in diff
    Decide on / fit passenger seat
    Make / fit roll bar

Fire it up
    Do celebratory dance
    Rolling Road
    MOT
    Drive it until the wheels fall off

Russell.
    Last edited by vindi49; 05-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Just been swapping texts with Mike (Valentinik) and following a quick test, we (that is, he) has solved one of the problems we had last night... so all I really need to do is connect up the fuel and vacuum pipes and we should be ok to try starting the engine!!

Just need to check with the boss, but fingers crossed we can try it at the weekend!!

Also hoping to finish off welding up the new roll bar, so things are on the move again!!!

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Managed to spend a few hours on it tonight, its all connected up now but needs tidying... I just wanted to see if it would fire!! Sadly the answer was no, turns over happily but no spark so we messed about with the laptop and changed some settings... we're 99% certain its the CAS that needs adjusting but that'll have to keep for another day.

Managed to work out how to fit the fuel pipe properly without having to move the clutch reservoir, and also worked out a better way to route the pipes. Also managed to remove one of the wings... its pretty standard with me, whenever I'm close to finishing I'l invent 3 more jobs to do!!

Just ordered all the bits I need anyway ( 2 more -6 90 degree fuel rail fittings and a set of spark plugs) ... and while trying to find the thread on the end of the Jenvey fuel rail, spotted that someones hacked the Jenvey website!!

Anyway, just a few pics from tonight...

All connected up... I need to buy some more of the same colour vacuum hose and get the hose tidied up. Also need to route the fuel hose properly, but there's no point until we know its working properly and leak free! The vacuum block is mounted in the right place though, need to find a home for the fuel pressure regulator.

Mike looking at the map and ECU settings, gradually working out what was wrong... as it turned out, the ECU thought it was looking at a Mk2 engine... which it kind of is, but the sensors I'm using are those off a Mk1 so it was a bit confused!!

Anyway, we know the next steps so fingers crossed for the next attempt!!

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Last night we had another go at starting the car... you can tell its getting closer because the pile of parts I had to fit was a lot smaller than before!!

Some good progress was made, but it still didn't start! The main progress was to get some weak coughing noises that meant it was at least trying to start. Mike was trawling endlessly through the Adaptronic software and Map, and eventually downloaded another Map from their website... that gave us the first coughs and a bit of a backfire, and he then managed to work out that although the injectors on 1 and 4 were showing a voltage, the ones on 2 and 3 were not. Strangely, even though they weren't showing a voltage they did seem to be doing something as the plugs werewet when we looked at them...

So Mike has fired an email off to Adaptronic to see if they have any suggestions... timing isn't great as I'm about to go off on holiday for a week, and in a lot of ways I'd rather stay at home and tinker with the car!!

Russell.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! shane's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 SE
    Thanks Given
    WoW pretty much sums up everything here.

Miata Junkyard much? Looking forward to updates, very cool stuff here.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Been on holiday for a week so not much progress (apart from the usual Ebay purchases when bored!) New bits will make their way onto the car over the next week or two, and will save about another 4kgs.. every little helps, and the old bits will sell for similar money so its worth trawling ebay wheneer possible! Got some responses back from Adaptronic, so a few things to try... starting with putting the Fuel Pressure regulator in the right place!

Started stripping the front wings off as I've got a set of fibreglass front wings waiting to go on... and a friend has crashed his car so could use my standard wings!

Russell.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Bryan805's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Man, I wish my driveway had as many roadsters as you have lol

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan805 View Post
    Man, I wish my driveway had as many roadsters as you have lol
    It varies a lot, I'm down to 2 MX5s at the moment which is pretty bad for me but good for the neighbours I guess. I'm on a real low for cars at the moment, down to 2 daily drivers and 3 project cars ... but I am in discussions with a local guy to buy what is potentially one of the nicest MX5s in the UK... well beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, its a bit marmite but I've been after one for a couple of years... If I say its a retro styled car and its similar to the Wataru most of you will know what I'm talking about?

Russell.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CarbonMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 red Miata
    Thanks Given
    PIT CREW!!!!!!

I take it you are vindi from Mx5Nutz and it's always a pleasure to read your build threads!

Marc

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonMiata View Post
    PIT CREW!!!!!!

I take it you are vindi from Mx5Nutz and it's always a pleasure to read your build threads!

Marc
    Ha ha, spot on... and yes thats me. I really ought to update my username here to match. Well fingers crossed it will all come together, its only about a third of a car, but thats fine as i doubt I could have afforded all the goodies that were on it.

Russell.
    Last edited by vindi49; 06-11-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Russell, fantastic read! I remember you from the Wataru pictures on another forum.

Great work, keep it up!

Two thoughts: your wife must be a saint and you Brits seem to eat a LOT of American junk food!

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    red 1993
    Thanks Given
    Great read Fun to go through all of it in such short story instead of crawling through nutz's project topic's ten's of pages.
    About the green envy's lowered floor, I know it helps (and it's meant to help) with broom stick test, but did it give you more leg room? Im in hope it helps so there would be no need to drive knees in ears (6'2" and long legs).

Pitcrew? I'll hate you with force of three sun's.
    It will be Great cos it looks so much better than the Wataru and I asume that the front of it isnt in million pieces. Who's old, what color? White or blue?

Cheers
    Samuli

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Russell, fantastic read! I remember you from the Wataru pictures on another forum.

Great work, keep it up!

Two thoughts: your wife must be a saint and you Brits seem to eat a LOT of American junk food!
    Thanks for the comments... yes, my wife absolutely is a saint... and I've had to ban myself from junk food. Saw a picture of me in shorts / t-shirt on holiday last week, and I'm back on a fitness drive again... that Bride seat isn't getting any smaller so it must be me getting bigger!! Saying that, I wonder if so may people would come round to help in the evenings if Dominoes Pizza wasn't on speed dial?!!! Might try a chinese on thursday for a change as we're all set to give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by samulis View Post
    Great read Fun to go through all of it in such short story instead of crawling through nutz's project topic's ten's of pages.
    About the green envy's lowered floor, I know it helps (and it's meant to help) with broom stick test, but did it give you more leg room? Im in hope it helps so there would be no need to drive knees in ears (6'2" and long legs).

Pitcrew? I'll hate you with force of three sun's.
    It will be Great cos it looks so much better than the Wataru and I asume that the front of it isnt in million pieces. Who's old, what color? White or blue?

Cheers
    Samuli
    It has helped but I'm not sure how much... there certainly is a lot more clearance between my legs and the steering wheel which is nice, and I'd guess I've had to move the seat forwards about 3 inches?

I'll keep quiet about the Pitcrew for the moment, its far from a done deal as a lot of other things have to fall into place first, for me and for the seller... I'll spill it on here first though, and yes its in a lot better condition than the Wataru although not perfect unfortunately.

Russell.
    Last edited by vindi49; 06-12-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Just thought... I'm bidding on another car on Ebay at the moment and my wife is talking about ditching her car for a Mk3.5... if everything comes off we'll be totally bankrupt, but we'd potentially have:

1991 V limited
    1990 Wataru
    1995 Pitcrew
    2001 Mk2.5 Sport with Mazdaspeed bits
    2012 Mk3.5

I could have MX5 meets all on my own!!

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Not much gone on for a bit, but I managed to get a few minutes in the garage and do a bit more tidying inside the car. It'll have to come out again before the car is running but I wanted to see how it looked / felt

Overall look

So steering wheel is in (horn button still to be added), I've made up a blanking plate for where the stereo / cubby was, and I've properly fitted the Air / Fuel ratio gauge

Decided to make the gauge pod out of Carbon Fibre as well just to see how it came out. Terrible as it happens so I'll have to paint it!

Russell.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast