Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Vindi Roadsters

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! vindi49's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Just done a bit more... managed to get the car started again, turns out all it needed was for me to stop being lazy and charge the battery!! I bought this seat a while back, but hadn't got round to making up a bracket for it so cracked into it yesterday. Once I got into it, it was pretty simple ... I'm glad I did it myself instead of paying £100 odd for one that someone else made, I did it with bits of plate steel I had in the garage so it didn't cost me a penny!

Old seat

New seat - the top of the new seat is about 1.5 inches lower than the old one, but the seat is more like 3 inches lower.

Colour match is pretty good as well... its out of a VX220, the Elise version is too light a colour.

Russell.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    I see a Bride in the passenger side. Are you getting rid of those for the Elise seats? Just wondered because it doesn't look like the elise seats have as much side support as the bride's do.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Hows that ducktail spoiler coming along?

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by maharaj View Post
    I see a Bride in the passenger side. Are you getting rid of those for the Elise seats? Just wondered because it doesn't look like the elise seats have as much side support as the bride's do.
    Don't forget we're RHD over here so that Bride is actually on the driver side! No plans to changer my seat at the moment, I just wanted something a bit lower for the passengers, since I dropped my floor the passenger seat was about 6" higher and it looked more than a little bit odd!

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Hows that ducktail spoiler coming along?
    Slow going... can't get the shape right for the size I want (i.e. huge). I might have to scale down a bit as it just looks too much with my current shape. I'll try again for about 6 inches and see if thats better, it can be a long process but I'm in no huge rush.

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Japfest is a week away now, and thanks to some tuning work by Mike (Valentinik) a few nights back its running well... so time to relax a bit and wait for Japfest? Nah, time to rip it all to pieces again!

Decided it was time to swap over a few bits I'd been keeping off to one side... front driver side wing at last being swapped for a better one, and same with the front bumper. The timing isn't ideal but I wanted to fit my splitter and it seemed silly to mount it to the old bumper.

While the front end was off I also swapped in some shiny new corner mounts

And then on to the splitter. I managed to get the front lip spoiler off the old bumper, and laid it over the splitter to check where to drill...

So ummm the more observant of you will see the profile of the splitter is different to the Ratsback spoiler, so it won't fit! In all honesty I could get it to fit and it would be ok, but its an expensive item and it seems daft to cut a corner. The splitter is designed for a type R OEM spoiler, and I had thought my Ratsback spoiler was very similar, but having looked more closely mine is a lot more aggressive.

So back to what was my original plan, and out with the jigsaw to make one myself!!

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Thought I ought to catch up over here ... so whats happened in the last few months?

Removed the Jenvey TBs and sold them, gone back to standard for the moment but I have one of the Honda Edelbrock manifolds that I'll work on over the winter.

Bought and then sold a Pitcrew, its one I'd been chasing for ages but in the end it was one project too many so it went to James aka Madabout MX5s for him to work his magic on!

Decided the only way to get my main car right is to take it off the road (again!). Wasn't particularly in the market for another MX5 (I already have 3) but as one came up cheap and locally, I snapped it up...
    Ok these might have had something to do with it...

It also works ... which makes it the only MX5 I own that does! Its been raining pretty solidly since I got it, but here's a pic taken on the way home ... really like the hood as well...

The only problem (if you can call it that) is that its an auto ... I have the parts to change it to manual, but not sure if it'll be worth it ... who am I kidding, I'll change it over at some point!

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    After driving it for a few days, there are a few issues here and there, the paintwork is in a bit of a state but its mainly where the door and front wing have been badly sprayed, so I'll just look out for a replacement BRG panel or two and swap them over when they come up. There is a bit of an oil leak coming from the head, so thats a good excuse to paint the rocker cover then! The tyres are brand new, but a real set of ditchfinders ... 205/55/15 so quite big, and they are a random make I've not come across before. I did a google search and they are awful in the wet by all accounts, so they need to go pretty soon. There are a few rattles from here and there, and the exhaust blows as well ... so lots to keep me busy then.

Managed to get some free time yesterday so I got stuck in...

and fitted a new seat!

Never was great at working out the priorities...

Russell.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vindi49 For This Useful Post:

WASABI (11-04-2013)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Very Good Progress Russell!!!!!!!!!!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Love following you Russell! Great work and the stories to go with it. Beautiful seat, and wheels!

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the comments ... I'll try to keep a bit more up to date, quite a few projects planned over the winter!

I forgot to mention I bought a cheap supercharger kit. Its one of the kits based on the hard work of a local guy, Barry Spiers. He bought a new shape Mini supercharger, and loosely following what someone else had done, fabricated a set of mounts to fit it to the MX5. He then went a step further and produced a CAD file and published it, so anyone else could make the mounts up and have a cheap MP45 supercharger. Obviously that caused a run on Mini Superchargers, and they are gradually getting more and more rare as the Mini is now using a turbo...

Anyway, it was the right money... its all the mounts and the supercharger itself, so it just needs the throttle body sorting out (2 or 1?), a set of injectors, an intercooler and its happy days. I'm not sure which car I'll put it on but I couldn't resist it!!

Russell.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! johnfett's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 SE Miata
    Thanks Given
    wow good stuff!! Love the BRG Miatas

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfett View Post
    wow good stuff!! Love the BRG Miatas
    Me too, I have 3 of them ... 2 Mk1s and a Mk2!!

Russell.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vindi49 For This Useful Post:

WASABI (11-04-2013)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by vindi49 View Post

Anyway, it was the right money... its all the mounts and the supercharger itself, so it just needs the throttle body sorting out (2 or 1?), a set of injectors, an intercooler and its happy days. I'm not sure which car I'll put it on but I couldn't resist it!!

Russell.
    Go big, 2 TBs, intercooler, MS. You won't be mad at the 150~ WHP
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    You're probably right ... Mike (Valentinik on here I think) will be helping me with this, and he had 206 from his MP45 with a weeny nose pulley.... you're really not helping me with my "sensible, cheap car"...

Russell.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast