Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Vindi Roadsters

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    How in the balls did he put down 206? I WANT INFO!?

What kind of supercharger? Pulley combo? Size engine? I WANT INFO!
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! vindi49's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Pulley was a 17% reduction, not sure about the rest of the details but I'll get a link to his new build thread which is much more interesting ... Mike got bored pretty quickly so he's now almost finished his forged 1.6 build with an MP90 ... going to be a lot more than 206!!

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Not sure if Mike is on here already (if he is he'll be on as Valentinik), but if not then welcome to his world ... here's a few links to his build threads on our local forum.

This is his original build thread ... if you read through a bit you'll get used to the way he does things ... i.e. all of it himself if at all possible, and done the right way not the quick way. So here's the thread for his car including his MP45 charger build.
    http://www.phoenixfives.org.uk/forum...php?f=4&t=4342

and here's what he got into when he was bored with that, an MP90 buld that is soooo close to being finished!
    http://www.phoenixfives.org.uk/forum...php?f=4&t=5828

Lots of reading but well worth the time spent. Page 16 of the 1st link is about where it gets mapped.

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    This cheap auto is going to bankrupt me one way or another ... Following a friend of mine letting me know he has a 1.8 he's breaking I'm now going to have a bit of a long day at his unit ... The plan is to drive there in the morning, pull out my engine & gearbox and drop in the 1.8 and manual box ... Obviously this means also changing the exhaust manifold, intake side, PPF, ECU, wiring loom and dash as well as adding a clutch pedal and a few more bits. Then I'll drive it home that evening. What could possibly go wrong?

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Decided the cheap auto although cheap was also ... an auto ... never really going to work was it! Had a look into doing a swap to manual, but them a cheap manual came up ... so off I drove to do an exchange!

So now I am the proud owner of a 1994(?) 1.8 manual, in PZ black. Ok it had no hood (I aleready had a tatty spare one), no wheels (had a set of Work RSB sat in the garage and no seats (just bought back my NAR racing drivers seat) but changing from 1.6 auto to 1.8 manual seemed worth it for £150 and a 2 hour round trip.

I had been looking into the hillclimb regulations, and there is an MX5 series, but although you can swap the engines rounsd a bit, it has to be from the same series ... so my Mk1 green car with a Mk2.5 block can't enter ... but this car can! So with this thought in the back of my mind, I came across an ebay ad for a Mazdaspeed ECU and cams for a 1.8 engine. So I'm now broke just before christmas and trying to work out how to tell my wife that the sensible 1.6 auto that I bought because it was cheap and green, has now become black and I'm going to blow lots of money racing it ...

Russell.

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vindi49 View Post
    I'm now broke just before christmas and trying to work out how to tell my wife that the sensible 1.6 auto that I bought because it was cheap and green, has now become black and I'm going to blow lots of money racing it ...

Russell.
    Lol. I feel your pain! I've bought and sold 3x mx5s since I saw you a month or so back and numerous parts. Right now going through some nice parts to fund the pitcrew and pay for Christmas!

MadaboutMX5s

**** Tuckin 99 N2 'FM2 Turbo' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** Pitcrew Racing 'IRTB'd' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Satellite Blue Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1993 Eunos Roadster 'JDM' S-Special ****
    **** 1991 'Stock' Eunos Roadster J Limited ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1994 'Stock' Eunos Roadster RS Limited ****
    **** GReddy Turbo 'Demo' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****

Instagram
    Facebook

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    So its all change again, the black 1.8 is being sold / broken, I had a brief stab towards going turbo but wasn't completely convinced by it ... and then something else came up ... so right now I have this pile of bits sat in my garage, just need to work out where to put it all!

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Just ordered a crank overlay from Tom at FFS so that should in theory get me to about 240bhp ... well it will once I've fitted the intercooler, bigger injectors, fuel pump etc. Well I probably ought to fit a diff at some point, and I seem to have accidentally sold the bootlid. Think I might need to write a list of what needs doing!!

In other news I bought a Kanspo hardtop, they aren't everyones taste but I wanted to try something different. I don't particularly like the back, but the subtle double bubble is nice. I'm wondering whether its worth getting sprayed ... I can't really see what it will be like 100% without it being colour matched but don't really want the expense. Matt black is a bit crap in a lot of ways, but this might be one of the occasions when £5 on a can might be worthwhile.

Russell.
    Last edited by vindi49; 01-18-2014 at 04:16 PM.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    thought I'd do a quick photoshop of the roof in green

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlitzWing For This Useful Post:

atank (01-22-2014),vindi49 (01-21-2014),WASABI (06-11-2014)

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    The thing I like about the "helmut" is the bubble as you say and that you can get a custom made rollbar fitted further back, if you combine that with a project g bikini top, it would be pretty cool!

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    BlitzWing - Thank you, I was busy trying to think what it might be like but thats perfect!! I think a friend may be able to wrap it in BRG... I haven't asked him about it yet, so if he reads this before I speak to him, Hi Mike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    The thing I like about the "helmut" is the bubble as you say and that you can get a custom made rollbar fitted further back, if you combine that with a project g bikini top, it would be pretty cool!
    Exactly my thoughts, its light enough to earn a place on the car and will fit easily with my Twin roll bar, but for summer days I am making a lightweight top. My thinking is to make my own attachment bar at the front (the OEM one is just sooo heavy and over the top!) and have it tie into the rear hardtop bolt holes properly rather than just hooking over them. I made my own soft top and frame for my kit car and the whole thing (top, frame, attachment points and side windows) was under 1.5kg.

Russell.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    no prob I was thinking that roof, a trunk rack, S800 mirrors and some classic style wheels and it would be a perfect retro roadster.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    I've actually got a complete retro rear end that was on the Wataru, but that is destined for another car not this one ... I really like this top, but mine is a bit more race than retro so would probably suit a Fastback better?

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Wow, so I haven't been here in a while ... so where to start with everything that's changed? I'll try to do it one car at a time ...

The Black 1.8 I bought was pulled apart and headed off to the scrapyard. Shame in a way, but it turned out to be a pretty normal 1.8 with a few add ons, rather than a special edition. The torsen turned out to be a viscous LSD that had been retro fitted from a 1.6, etc, etc. So with that out of the way I could concentrate on fitting the MP62 charger to the BRG car, right? ...

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    So the green car ... well I started working on it again, did some thinking and decided to plough on with fitting the MP62 charger in a basic way to see how it looked.

Anyway, this is a first test fit but it looks at home I think!

Did some tidying of the intake manifold (off a Mk2 I think) and added the FM adaptor for my Mk1 1.6 tb.

Not a great job, but only temporary as I had a bigger plan for an intake manifold.

About this time I realised if I wanted to do the car properly, it would take some funds to get it tuned, and I had this Kanspo top I didn't really need ... so I contacted a friend and the top ended up here...

Couldn't think of a better home for it!

I then had to do some work underneath, refitting the diff and putting back the exhaust, decat etc. It was while I was doing this that I had a poke around at an area I'd spotted before that didn't quite look right. All looked ok on the surface but it wasn't symmetrical to the other side, so I decided to take the plunge and scrape off the underseal to check.

Nightmare time, at some point in the past the car has been hit from underneath, there are 2 main areas and at the worst point there were pieces of wood fillered into place to give the illusion of the right shape. At one point the filler was nearly 4 inches deep ... to say the least this was an all time low for me, I very nearly stripped and scrapped the car!

After some really big thinking time, I decided to go a bit back to basics with this car, it's all very well having lots of nice bits on the car but if I don't drive it because I'm paranoid about damaging it or it getting stolen then it's all a bit pointless ... so I drew up a hit list and worked out what I didn't really need, and started selling stuff. Raised enough cash to get the car sent off to the fabricators so they could drop the passenger floor. Most of the damage was at the front of the passenger footwell and along the chassis rail on that side, I had previously dropped the floor on the drivers side, but my passenger was still standard. Chopping out the floor to drop it removed about 70% of the damaged area, leaving the front that has been hammered out for now, and we'll come back to it later once I can source a replacement panel from another car.

So off it went for a few weeks

leaving me with an empty garage ... dangerous ...

Russell.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast