Thread: The Boss' Brief Explanation of Bump Steer

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given

The Boss' Brief Explanation of Bump Steer

Bump Steer - also called orbital steer, happens when a wheel with tie-rods at unequal heights goes over a bump. The car momentarily steers the direction that the wheel turns as the toe on that one wheel changes.

For most Miata owners bump steer only becomes an issue after over-lowering. Many falsely believe that slamming the car will make it ride on rails but in reality the Miata's suspension best performs within a couple inches of the stock height. Think of your suspension and all things attached to the wheel traveling in an arc. As you can imagine, the closer that object is to the frame, the more it has to move for a certain height. Because of this, the tie rods angle increases much faster than the control arm after they go above parallel with the ground. Then your tires will toe out under load and going over bumps. This can not only lead to the car jumping over when you go over an uneven bump but it also makes the car very darty under hard braking. An overlowered car with bump steer can be much less forgiving than one on the plush stock suspension. This can also make the car's tires wear abnormally fast and hurt it's all around handling.

Even though the Miata has relatively good bump steer characteristics when lowered compared to other cars, it is still important to be aware of it and correct it if neccessary. The LE edition tie rod ends can give you a little bit of help, but most will need more than that. Bump steer correction kits for RX7's will fit if a Miata specific one can not be found. Many have found solutions and with a little searching a variety of methods can be found.

That's all for the brief explanation of bump steer. Remember not to overlower your car if you care about handling!
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlnb's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    When I had my Teins, I had bumpsteer but I was only at 12.5f and 12.75r and couldn't figure out why that was since I wasn't really lowered that much. My alignment was in good shape. Doesn't happen with my current setup though and I'm a half inch lower.. ZOOMX5 was talking about bumpsteer and told him that would be a good fix. But anyways, nice write up. Didn't know about the RX7 kits worked on Miatas.
    Xida CS | Hard Dog | Corn*s | Bride | Joyfast | Carbing | Beatrush | 6UL | KG Works | Square-Top Manifold | BP5A Cam | Daily/CSP build

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Nicely done, and txs! Could you expand regarding the RX7 solution? I've never heard of that!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atlnb View Post
    When I had my Teins, I had bumpsteer but I was only at 12.5f and 12.75r and couldn't figure out why that was since I wasn't really lowered that much. My alignment was in good shape. Doesn't happen with my current setup though and I'm a half inch lower.. ZOOMX5 was talking about bumpsteer and told him that would be a good fix. But anyways, nice write up. Didn't know about the RX7 kits worked on Miatas.
    You haven't changed anything about your setup other than coilovers and you're telling me you have less bump steer at a lower ride height than before? Are you sure what you were feeling before was bump steer and that you're not experiencing it currently?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Nicely done, and txs! Could you expand regarding the RX7 solution? I've never heard of that!
    Thank you! The outer tie rod ends for RX7's fit Miata's. Any bump steer tie rod kit for an RX7 should fit a Miata, such as this one: http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-740-bumpsteer-kit.aspx
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.