Thread: Free Tracky Car, Cheap Tacky Build, Miata Rescue Inside!

Idling - Listen to it purr... madufaku's Avatar
    Thanks Given

Cool Free Tracky Car, Cheap Tacky Build, Miata Rescue Inside!

I started as a part of the 949 Racing team pitting for them during their endurance races and helping out around the shop a few months ago. One night after helping out for a bit, Sonny and I ended up at In 'n' Out and got to talking about his parts chassis. Long story short, we trailer'd it over to my garage, and there it sits in waiting on jack stands, slowly becoming a car again.

To be clear... This will probably never be registered on the street again, unless I really decide to have a good time. Don't expect it to come along in a streety fashion.

I received it as a bare, subframe-less shell awaiting lots of parts to make it a real car again.

As I've been acquiring parts, I've been adding them to the car. BrownMiata found me a clean front bumper (well, "racecar" clean) and I found myself a clean drivers fender. Steve and Joe at Project G (who are awesome!) got me a good passenger fender and lots more awesome parts, soon to come (and you'll see them as soon as I put them on the car.)
    That looks more like a Miata now, doesn't it?

Once I got underneath the car, I noticed some frame damage. It's past the fuck-giving point after the rear subframe studs; everything is straight in the area that affects geometry, so no worries. It's definitely caused by whatever happened to make the back look like this. It's worse than it looks, which becomes evident with the bumper off. This car has definitely been nailed multiple times.

Bored on the 4th of July, I assembled and installed the front NB subframe that I acquired for this car. This was the most productive 4th of July I think I've ever had.

949 6UL's are great, but they ain't got shit on my steelies.

Still bored on the 4th, so I removed the decadent, voluptuous tan leather interior and re-installed most of it in a trash can.

Updates will come as I do stuff with the car.

So far, special thanks to:
    Sonny at 949 Racing for the chassis, and everyone on the 949 Racing team (for helping me find yet another way to blow my money )
    Project G (Steve and Joe) for the parts
    BrownMiata (Matt) for the ugly front bumper
    Attached Images Attached Images

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Mexican_Guy's Avatar
    Drives
    the metro bus
    Thanks Given
    its a big ass built! keep it up!
    2010 NCII TR

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    92 classic red miata
    Thanks Given
    Looks like a fun project. Can't wait to see more.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    build your own chump/lemons car, matt!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Thanks Given
    V8

Do it
    Do it

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! VagaXt's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I am glad to see that this car has been given a good home. Enjoy Matt.
    Driving to the limit is my goal.
    Driver for Team 949 Racing

Currently driving it the SuperMiata racing series.

"Drive well and have fun." See me in action on YouTube.

Looking for fun trackday competition? Join Miata Challenge.

Idling - Listen to it purr... madufaku's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I made some progress on the car today. Also picked up a lot of important bits, such as an engine.

Here's some more detail of the ass damage, this time with the bumper and supports removed, as most of it was completely annihilated by the crash. To get a passenger tail to fit, I'm going to have to spend some time with a friend of mine, and his name is hammer. Finish panel is out of the question, unless I get really lucky.

Here's a more detailed picture of the cute fender rolling job. I guess the idea was to make it look like a small thatched roof coming off of the quarter panel. The fender was way over rolled, and the fucked up quarters that resulted were just bondo'd smooth. First rate work, for sure. My second favorite fender "roll" since I saw the Channel Lock fender "roll" job.