Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roadsternut

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

Roadsternut

I've been around the forums for a long while, with different user names. Never really documented my Roadsters before. So each of these will be by year, starting in 1997. (well, first chunk cover 1997-2000)

November 1997. I had returned to the UK after a spell working in the US, to a new job in Ireland. Cash flow due to the move meant I had to make do with a Peugeot 309 GTi for a while; ultimately forgettable, so after 6 months, I was hankering after a change. Then I happened upon a 1992 silver stone Eunos Roadster, fresh off the boat from Japan, and being utterly mint condition.

Being a bit green in all things Roadster (prior to 1997, the MX5 didn't even register with me as a car), it took me a while cotton on to the fact that this innocuous looking Roadster was very nicely specified with 15" Watanabes, RS8R 4-2-1 header, Fujitsubo FGK exhaust and a Mmm's K&N intake.

I gradually got more an more involved with the MX5 scene, eventually running the MX5 Owners Cub in Northern Ireland. I didn't do a whole lot with this car, except add an aluminium Carbing style bar (which can just about be seen in the photo below), and strip the Wats, repaint them black with a polished lip, because thats what everyone else was doing at the time.

But, then, in April 2000, disaster struck. At a MX5 meet, car thieves took my car, raced it, and torched it. We found it, 30 minutes later.

The insurance company gave me a generous settlement, and 6 weeks to find another MX5. And so the hunt began.
    Last edited by roadsternut; 07-15-2012 at 01:07 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

WASABI (12-09-2014)

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

I found a suitable replacement, with insurance settlement money left over to boot. Minuses; the roof needed replacing, over-sized 17" wheels had been fitted, and the car lowered without changing the shocks (so a -35mm spring turned into a 50mm drop). Pluses; low mileage, Tanabe 4-2-1 header, Remus exhaust, HKS intake. I only had a week to enjoy before flying to LA for a business trip, to spend the left over lolly on a rare Type IV Stylebar from Racing Beat (made for a RHD, returned unsold from their Japan distributor, they just asked me to make them an offer, which I did; $100, whereupon they promptly threw into the deal free hats, and shirts, and a cool factory tour. Nice guys), new hood and strut brace from Duetto (entertaining weirdo ran that place), and bits and pieces from BrainStorm. British Airways raised their eyebrows when I checked all that stuff onto my flight.

Then I took it to the Isle of Man on a magical trip organised by the MX5 Owners Club for the Millenium; as part of the trip, the TT Circuit was closed to traffic, and we were waved through by the police to go and enjoy ourselves. Plus I lot my trackday virginity on Jurby, in a car that I had only been driving for 2 weeks.....

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    After getting back from the IOM, I was determined to do something about the handling; lowering springs, stock shocks, heavy wide wheels = heavy steering, crashy ride and aquaplaning.

First thing was to change the wheels for a set of 14" magnesium wheels; this was back in the days when these were just a cheap used wheel, and I really only intended them as a temporary wheel, until I got something better. But I liked the look of them.

I then also added matching front and rear lip spoilers.

The dead shocks and springs were thrown out for a set of S-Special Bilsteins and Racing Beat springs.
    (years after original fitment)

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

Stripes from Kevin Morrison.

Then I fitted some gauges in the radio surround, to replace an untidy cubby hole.

Factory knee pad fitted to the speaker cover.

A trip to Ka Yu, and I scored an ARC intake; the seller had no idea what it was, he thought I was interested in the AFM attached. A bit dented, but a bargain at $30.

Towards the end of the year, and I still wasn't happy about the handling. A Mazda dealer was closing down at Christmas, so the parts manager there, as a final parting shot, got me a set of 15" NB wheels at cost price. Another bargain.

I also went mad, and splashed out on a KG Works stop lamp cover.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    2002. My thoughts were turning to hillclimbs and sprints, after getting bored of a year of trackdays. So I sought out and fitted a 6-point Carbing rollbar.

It needed holes drilling in the floor behind the seats, and cutting back of the shelf, and drilling the monocoque.

This type of rollbar robbed quite a bit of seat travel; the side bars worsened this. Also, it was pretty lethal when it came to proximity to the head.

A TRS 6-point harness was also added, with the shoulder straps mounted direct to the body

I wanted a bit more cold air to the engine; in 2001, vented headlamp covers were in short supply in the UK, so I made one from a spare headlamp lid and a Rover Metro bonnet vent. This idea was later copied (and improved upon) by others.

It was functional.

To sort out the lethal rollbar, besides padding, I wanted a lower seat. Autolinkuk sent me a couple over to choose from. I opted for the tatty looking Ligier G-Hold; held me in superbly, plus was mounted very low on a Bride subframe.

My first event, issued a number 26 for the season.

My first event was the Cultra Hillclimb, which lays claim, along with some others, to be the oldest car race in the world.

Later on in the year, a bit of bling, and a bit of functionality.

A Knight Sports anodized billet oil cap

Okuyama-Carbing triangulated brace made for RS Aizawa; purchased mainly to firm up the brakes.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    2003. Bit of a quiet year;new job in a different country.

Really, all that happened is that the car clocked up a huge mileage, and it gotten partly destriped; I had gotten bored of stripes, and started to peel them off, only to find, to my horror, the amount of fade that had happened to the bumpers. Not ready for a respray, so the stripes became a stripe.

A day at Silverstone

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    2004. The car was now looking very tired; I had clocked up 80k miles in 4 years, and that involved some hard driving. So it went in for a respray. Came back looking fantastic.

This car's days of motorsport were over.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    2005. I was still putting 20k miles on the car, so decided to upgrade to a younger model, which I thought would be more reliable. A terrible mistake as it turned out.

The new car was a 1996 Eunos Roadster S-Special II in Montego Blue. It was essentially a blank canvas, a standard car, brought off a forum member. It had a few scuffs on the body work, but had a good history.

As brought:

And catalogue scans

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    2005; not too much done to the car:

Factory lip spoiler, Dcuatro headlamp lid and Cusco plate mounts.

RS Aizawa triangulated strut brace

D-Technique 4P rollbar

KG Works gauge surround:

MX5Parts 4-2-1 manifold:

Option S-Spec knee brace:

Time for some track work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

WASABI (12-09-2014)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Nice build so far. Sucks about your first one though.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

I wanted a GHO1001 bumper, then I found MX5Roadsters was importing a batch via RS Aizawa. Order was placed.

MX5Roadsters also arranged for it to be painted in Montego Blue. The batch was great. I decided against paying for the Mazda-specific Cibie spots (£400 a set!), opting to try and locally source suitable lamps. My first Wipac lamps were a bit undersized compared to the pukka item,

After a few months, disaster with the GHO bumper.

These bumpers are very bottom heavy, and, unlike the factory version, GHO does not supply extra bracing. It was decided that as the cracking was deep and on both sides, the bumper was beyond repair. A stronger and lighter replica was made in Kevlar/carbon fibre.

Also added were Apex'i shocks and matched springs.

A tan factory hod was fitted:

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

It turns out the Cibie used the Tango shell for the lamps. I lucked out, and found a set of new Cibie Tangos at a show, cheap:

But these wouldn't fit the bumper; right diameter, wrong bracket.

So I had to grind down a bit of the bracket, and reposition it on the shell:

Fitted

Also fitted, ARC Airbox to match the cross-over pipe.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

Upgraded the suspension to Performance5 Puredrives; these combined an adjustable Protec Aluminium shock with bespoke pigtail springs, and NB tops.

The year ended with an engine out of a RS-Limited being fitted to replace the embarrassing smoking motor.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

Time to respray the car. The metalwork, after 220,000 kms (in 2005, it had 90,000 kms), was looking tired; scratches, dings, and a rust hole on the rear sill. The Kevlar/carbon fibre bumper; battered. Plus to cap it all, a blow out nicely chewed up a wheel arch.

During the respray, took the opportunity to get a rare Rod Millen boot spoiler fitted.

A Nardi Classico also replaced the factory Momo steering wheel

17. The Following User Says Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

WASABI (12-09-2014)

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

Garage Ohno slam panel cover.

Disaster. One icy March morning, one back wheel goes over an iced manhole cover, and the car goes into a slo-mo 30mph spin into a grass bank.

The damage proved to be superficial, but the bumper was destroyed. The car was duely repaired and returned, back to factory spec.

I responded to this knock back by fitting the rare factory option "Driver" seats and polishing the Nardi wheel.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

WASABI (12-09-2014)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast