Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roadsternut

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 472 Posts
    Back in the day I bought the original exhaust that was on your s special 2 from JazzyB. Not sure if it was custom or not but was what it came from Japan with. Was the loudest exhaust I've had. Sold the car shortly after with it on but be surprised if its still on there as was almost unbearable.

MadaboutMX5s

**** Tuckin 99 N2 'FM2 Turbo' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** Pitcrew Racing 'IRTB'd' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Satellite Blue Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1993 Eunos Roadster 'JDM' S-Special ****
    **** 1991 'Stock' Eunos Roadster J Limited ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1994 'Stock' Eunos Roadster RS Limited ****
    **** GReddy Turbo 'Demo' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****

Instagram
    Facebook

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    The seats had been looking tired for a while, and the dye had worn off in places (more than 5 years after the original job!)

I ordered a custom leather colouring kit from Furniture Clinic, using a swatch cut from the original S-Limited seats (this colour, which is the same as the LE Miata is now on Furniture Clinic's system). This is a water based dye; you prep and clean the leather (celluose thinners and alcohol), sponge on the dye, and then spray the top coats.

This first pass showed the change:

The finish was still very patchy, thanks to problems spraying the dye using the supplied airbrush. A better airbrush was secured.

Getting better

No attempt was made to fill the cracks, but the dye has made the leather look new

Still not quite perfect, but at this stage, I got bored and sealed it. Furniture Clinic sent me another batch of dye, enough to do 10 seats, so may have another go another year.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Madaboutmx5s View Post
    Back in the day I bought the original exhaust that was on your s special 2 from JazzyB. Not sure if it was custom or not but was what it came from Japan with. Was the loudest exhaust I've had. Sold the car shortly after with it on but be surprised if its still on there as was almost unbearable.
    When I got the S-Special, it had been fitted with a crappy Powerflow exhaust; it was just a stock exhaust cut in half with a different back box. Swapped it for a Mongoose. The Blackbullet S-Limited was fitted with a MX5parts twin exhaust which drones at speed. The car is booked in for a respray, and I've sourced a new rear bumper; may take the opportunity to change to a Mongoose system and single exit.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    A knocking sound from the rear turned out to be a destroyed top mount and stripped bolt, to the extent, when driving, I hit a pothole and the shock fell out . I thought ordering a new top nut from Mazda will do for now, but it turned out these shocks were not the factory Bilsteins but Japanese Ennepetal Bilsteins and matched springs. These were the skankiest shocks I had ever seen, but amazingly were not leaking. Nevertheless, this merely pushed up a part of my long term plan, new coilovers.

A set of Meister-R Zetec Pros were ordered.

The rear badge from MX5Roadsters can be seen here.

Skanky and new

Cleaning up the wishbones

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Received some TSIs from MX5Roadsters; nicely finished. So far just painted uo and trial fitted. I want to source something to use as a sidelight.

A Roadster that has caught my eye is a well known one over on Minkara. I like it for its classic accessorisation:

I had a set of modified Cibie Tangos left over from the GHO nose. At >$160 a set, it would be a shame not to find a use for them. Partly as a joke, partly to investigate issues for a bracket, I played around with an old JDM number plate bracket.

No, there was never any intention to stick with this, but it revealed to me that that any brackets would need to be very substantial; the Cibies are heavy, and there is a lot of movement even in the thickish gauge of steel used in the numberplate bracket. Work in progress.

Also work in progress; rollbar cover. I got hold of some red vinyl that wasn't too bad a match for the interior. The original plan was to put in eyelets and lace up the cover. THis ain't going to work:

The ziptie S&M cover; you need abolutely precise eyelet placement, otherwise it will look awful, and this will be a nightmare around the rear stays. And it will look awful.So I think I'll go with velcro.

And, yes, thats pipe lagging.

On the right, pipe lagging, ex-B&Q. On the left, the rubber stuff Carbing-Okuyama wrap their bars in.

I'll take my chances.
    Last edited by roadsternut; 04-06-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Some other recent jobs have been rather boring.

Slow wipers turned out to be a failing wiper motor. I learnt that a 1991 wiper motor is completely different from a 1993 wiper motor.

The horn stopped working. Turned out that the horn ring (whatever its called; the bit that contacts the button on the steering column) had come adrift (its attached to the boss by double sided tape), and compounding this, Nardi had just soldered the horn wire onto the ring, with the result that the boss just cut the wire. Decided to solder a spade connector to the ring for something more substantial.

Next up will be the full respray within the next month, and to get shot of the Work wheels.

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsternut View Post
    When I got the S-Special, it had been fitted with a crappy Powerflow exhaust; it was just a stock exhaust cut in half with a different back box. Swapped it for a Mongoose. The Blackbullet S-Limited was fitted with a MX5parts twin exhaust which drones at speed. The car is booked in for a respray, and I've sourced a new rear bumper; may take the opportunity to change to a Mongoose system and single exit.

Yeah know you mention it I remember the seller of your car telling me had had got a exhaust made up. Good luck with the 'blackbullet' and good to see it getting some tlc.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Love those Driver option seats. Nice job on the re-dye.

Thanks Given
    those seats do look great!

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Not much more. Went a bit made on redying leather part; a MX5parts gearshift boot in red, which was really orange, and a thick leather black handbrake boot I've had for ages.

Another trial fit of the Cibies; made up some brackets this time round. No wobble.

I have an ex-M2-1001 wiring loom that I need to adapt, so hopefully will be fitted and functioning in the next few weeks.

Car is actually looking a little tatty; removed the MX5parts duals, and fitted a single exit Mongoose exhaust; car runs much better, much more get up and go. But fitted a new bumper to go with it, a tatty black S-Special bumper. Also decided to lose the RB rear spoiler, so a dinged and dented boot lid is on. The car is booked in for a full respray.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

ueru (05-26-2014),WASABI (05-27-2014)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Nice progress though I am not sure on the front spot lights. As mentioned previously nice to see the car getting a 2nd lease of life.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Sloooow progress, thanks to Protech shocks blowing a seal on the S-Special, and then hunting up and down the country for someone to rebuild it (hint, Protech won't fix their own shocks), and then multiple clutch hydraulic failures on the S-Limited, finally getting it in for the long awaited respray, but it looks like it will be a bigger job than expected.

First things, attack areas that look a bit dodgy with a wire brush bit; don't want the sprayer just slapping paint on rust.

Passenger side sill seam nice and clean

Drivers side not quite so good but solid

Rear passenger sill felt solid, but the darkened area was ominous

Rear driver sill looks ok, but in that light area, there's a pin prick hole. Sill has rusted

But the worst bit; looking through the paperwork, I know the original owner had some bodywork done when it was first imported, and whoever did it, didn't do a great job (orange peel). I had assumed a little dent. When I got the car, there were two tiny bubbles above the rear passenger wheel arch. Investigated and revealed what seemed to be surface rusting. I had assumed this was to do with the repair; filler absorbs water. I gave is a quick lash over with paint for the summer and left, The rusting now looked serious. Rubbed it back to bare metal, and my heart sank when I saw the 2cm long crack in the metal. After I attacked the crack,,,,

Right through, but strangely the wing lip is perfect. So right now Blackbullet looks diabolical; dented scrapyard boot lid (didn't want a spoiler on the repainted car), scuffed rear bumper (took off the MX5part duals, put on single Mongoose exhaust). Hopefully in 3 weeks or so, it will be back looking better, about 5 months late.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Taken longer than expected, but the body overhaul is nearing completion. Welding done, hail damage sorted, about to receive a base coat.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Back out of the spray booth

Gradually fitting it all back up. Refitted factory front lip; a previous owner had painted it gloss black, and inevitably the paint was chipped and badly crazed. It would have ended up the same if I repainted it, and I won't be handling this car with kid gloves. The original idea was to take it back to bare plastic, and paint satin black. But all that did was accentuate the various gouges present. I filled in the gouges, and decided to take a chance with Halfords bedliner paint. Brits aren't too familiar with this stuff, and Halfords has only just added this; its a matt black aerosol with fine bits of rubber, intended for pickups.

An experiment with a random piece of scrap plastic;

I really liked the grained finish, so did the front/rear lip with it.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% on how the bonnet turned out, so the car has to go back in the spray shop,

Next; new roof, sort out the Work CR-01s (I was set on some Panasports, but that fell through), fit the painted MX5roadsters TSIs (with white LED sidelights).

Interior; I have plans involving a pair of momentary toggle switches, Wolf window module (anyone remember that?), Dcuatro shifter ring and R-Limited carpet remnants.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Looks great!! lots of really good restoration here!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast