Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Just another silver NB....

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Ok, so it definitely has been a while since I last posted and after a flirt with selling it and grabbing a different car, I have decided to keep unless a once in a lifetime deal comes my way. So, onto the updates....

I recently purchased a used set of Rennenmetal hardtop brackets. I hate the OEM side latches so this was a no-brainer. I got the brackets from a member on the other site for $40 shipped for the front and back. I immediately removed the side brackets and installed them.

I also picked up an OEM Style front lip from Morr for a helluva deal. It was in better shape than what I was expecting. Here is what it looked like when I picked it up.

So to repair the side of the lip so I can attach it to the car, I cut off the part of the lip on the bottom that I could not repair so I can cut and epoxy it to the side of the lip for attachment.

Since I will eventually get the whole car painted, I just used spray paint to paint. It doesn't match perfectly but I can live with it. I used white plastidip to start and then covered with silver spray paint and finished off with clear. I knew if it didn't turn out well, I can just peel it all off and go flat black. But I think it turned out well.

Of course, I don't usually take pictures while I am working, I only have the before and after pics.

Here is the final product:

Last edited by tsingson; 10-27-2013 at 04:01 PM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RoadsterTech's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Looks very nice...
    You may know me as RAB or BCT or Rick depends on where you look.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Rick! I am trying to get it back to the standard that my previous one had set.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Alright small update....

So after switching Cruise Control switches with Steven (Kung Fu Jesus) and his 10AE, we were able to remove the wiring from his 10AE and I was able to wire up my non-fog light switch to his 10AE and his fog light/cruise control switch to my NB. It wasn't a simple plug and play. Luckily, the same colored wires were there and it was just a matter of soldering in the plugs from each NB.

The hardest part was trying to get them mounted. Now, my car originally didn't come with fog lights. So from reading on the other site, I found out that the NB1 had an option for fog lights but they had to be cut into the bumper and wired up by the dealer. They said that there were raised bumps behind the bumper that show where to cut. Well as documented earlier in the thread, I didn't see those bumps. So I just kinda eyed it as best as I could.

The factory fog lights to me suck. They break too damn easily and they cost so damn much. So like I did on my other NB, I went to Walmart and found some $15 fog lights that fit almost perfect in the holes. They had never broke on my other NB and held up a lot better than OEM. And even if they do, I can buy 3 sets of them for the cost of one OEM.

Steven had this brilliant idea to gut out the factory fog light and mount the aftermarket fogs into them.

The problem starts when I tried to mount up the fog lights using the factory brackets. They just did not line up with the holes I cut. And I finally did see those bumps that they were talking about. And man was I off. So I had to grind a little bit of the metal where the brackets are supposed to be mounted to. And all I used was the bracket that actually held the fog lights and drilled holes and bolted it down.

Fog Lights installed! Finally.

Before:

After:

I defintely wanted to thank Steven for all of his help and his idea of mounting the fog light. If it weren't for him, this never would have gotten done.
    Last edited by tsingson; 12-06-2013 at 07:32 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-06-2013),kung fu jesus (12-06-2013),WASABI (12-07-2013)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Looks awesome! I am glad it worked!

I was removing the foglights out of 10ae anywas to use the holes for future brake ducting hose. We found there was a slight wire harness adjustment made at the factory in '99. Anthony's car didn't have the same harness as my car so the foglights weren't as PnP as we thought. Too much coffee had me doubting the logic of wiring the relay, but Anthony figured it out and we tested the circuits before we called it a day. He can run the fogs without the headlamps illuminated and the car will remind him with the chime if he leaves them on after turning the car off. The relay is switched by an OEM fog/cruise combo switch from my car. The fogs' relay is powered from the parking lights, we found a circuit example to do it this way from the internet. I was really surprised how well those aftermarket lights fit in the OEM holes. They are much brighter, too! My factory fogs were melted and the lenses were road blasted, making them unusable.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    The '99 is a weird year for Miatas. We have a local club member with a '99 and none of our experiences seem to help.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Agreed. My wife's first NB was a '99 with an early '98 build date. That car never seemed to match up to the wiring diagrams the FSM had. It was a great car, though.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    My other NB was a 2000 and they were all pre-done so all I had to do was swap the fogs in the front. On this one, it was just starting from scratch almost.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Alright, slight update…..

My seat had been a wreck since I first bought the car. The cushion was all torn and ugly so I decided before to rip out the cushion and put a pad there and sit low. Well, that worked until the metal started tearing at my jeans and slacks. So I had hunted and hunted for some seats. I almost had some Lotus seats in my possession but the price was something I could not afford at the moment. So I went along and kept searching. I tried car-part.com and it said they had one in stock at a place in Graham but when I called, they did not have it. Damn.

But luckily today on my day off, I looked at the inventory of vehicles at my local pick and pull and low and behold, they had a white 99 NB. It was just placed out there earlier this week and I figured with the weather as bad as it has been and how stupid cold it has been, the car should not have been ravaged. Well, I was right. I found a very nice drivers seat with no tears. A small puncture but nothing huge. Yes, it was leather and tan but I said hell, I can have it recovered later. And for $40 bucks, I can't go wrong.

So here it is!

Before:

After:

Steven took the old seat as he is going to try and do something with it. But overall, I am happy with it and the price I paid for it.
    Last edited by tsingson; 01-10-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    For $40 bucks I would use it up, then have it recovered!!!!!!!! Looks Good, how was the passenger seat?

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    It looked pretty good as well. I just didn't want to spend a lot on both. I sit real high though. I want to do the foamectomy but wasn't sure how well the leather would hold up.

Any word on the shock tower brace?

Idling - Listen to it purr... Mustang73351's Avatar
    Drives
    a red 1990 miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    I was also able to find a slight picture of my AE92.

It's the one next to the Civic Hatch. That is a factory OEM hood and hood scoop from Japan along with the bigger front parking lights.

I really loved that car but it was worked on more than it was driven and it didn't have the comforts of AC and power windows and little things like that that you appreciate once you start getting older. I really wish I had more pictures of it.

Like the third gen prelude sittin there I've built 4 of them

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Where is the third gen Prelude? In order from closest, EG Hatch, First Gen MR2 (AW11), EF Hatch, AE92 Corolla. Unless I am missing something. But Old School is definitely awesome.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Mustang73351's Avatar
    Drives
    a red 1990 miata
    Thanks Given
    My 91si looked very close in aperance but now that I look closer I c that it is an mr2

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Ok. I was just checking since I didn't remember a Prelude in our group. It's all good man.

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast