Thread: Drain cleaning on an NC with the Drain TSB done.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given

Drain cleaning on an NC with the Drain TSB done.

So I decided to clean the drains on the car since I now live where it rains a lot more. I had had the TSB done so the filter was protecting the drain, but that just means that crap covers the filter instead, causes the back up at the top, as opposed to in the drain tube.

Because of the collection tray above the filter/sponge, I couldn't even see the size of the filter or anything. Having today to waste, I decided to do exploratory surgery. Removed the large trim piece with the cubbies to try and get to the drains that way. (yes, this involved removing the door sill, and roll bar covers)
    This picture shows the passenger side.

As you can see from the picture, due to the other trim pieces, you can't just remove that to get to the drains.
    I then proceded to remove the back tray that the top rests in it's natural position ;D, along with all the rest of the trim in the back, just to reach the drain tray that covers the hole/filter area. Yes, that's right, due to the overlapping nature of all the pieces, it all has to be removed.
    This revealed this wonderful sight:

I grabbed a vacuum, sucked out the dirt and leaves, and removed, and tried to clean the filter a bit.

Not 100% clean, but much better. I ran a small piece of flexible cabling down and out the bottom. nothing besides the cable, no dirt/ leaves/other debris, so I guess the filter works, as this is the first time since 2008 (when the tsb was done) that I've cleaned the drains , but if enough debris were to cover the filters, I can see where it might cause a backup that way.

This shot shows the orientation of the drivers side filter so it goes back in properly. The front of the car is towards the right. Yeah, I know it really only goes in one way, but I figured I might as well

After spending the 3 hours or so removing everything, cleaning the drains, and putting everything back, I discovered the tech who did it, missed 5 of the push fasteners on the inside. So I now need to get 5 more to fasten the large trim piece back the way into position.

So, if you've had the TSB done, and really want to do this, my advice? find a small person, because all the rear trim pieces behind the roll bar can only be removed with the top up. Most of you 6 footers out there will have issues. Fortunately at 5'3" I was issue free.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Mexican_Guy's Avatar
    Drives
    the metro bus
    Thanks Given
    if you only see my car.. xD well so far i don't need that, yet lol
    2010 NCII TR

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    mx5nc2
    Thanks Given
    i broke so many of those damn clips taking out my top storage trim.
    thankfully it did not really matter.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    LOL. I broke one of the white ones but enough of the top was left that I could still reuse it. I've removed every trim panel in the car, with the exception of the top and bottom parts of the dash, and the long piano black/wood/brushed aluminum (depends on what you've got) dash trim, and have yet to break a fastener to the point I couldn't reuse it. little blessings like that, I have good luck with... winning the lottery, not so much. LOL