Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2831323334353637383940414243444548 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NCGreasemonkey View Post
    You two breeders dropped how many youngin's?

If it is just two I just went back to Def Con 5! The second child's inheritance might be mine.
    I have three, she has eight. None of hers are at all interested in car repair though.

Someone asked me if this would go high enough to do a clutch job. I took these pictures to show it is possible. This first one shows the lift in the lowest position, with one of the jack stands I used for my clutch jobs in its highest position as I used it.

This second picture shows the lift in its highest position. The point I used to place the jack stand is about 4 1/2" higher than what it was on the jack stand.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (03-17-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (03-16-2017),kung fu jesus (03-17-2017),MiataQuest (03-12-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-10-2017),tsingson (03-20-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Wow! That is a large family.

You can do a trans swap at full height. If you want more room underneath, for that sort of job, move the hoses outward.

But more room than a floor jack and stand in one shot.

Peace nut!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (03-12-2017)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Meh, real men lift their Miatas with one hand and sruff a stand with the other but whatever...

No todo que es oro brilla.

Thanks Given
    Bold words from a man who doesn't even own one...

Despite it being cold today, I decided to make up for my sloughing off this week and swap out mufflers. I didn't have any real problems, one thing to note is the NB1 has four hangers on the muffler, while the NB2 only has three. It is perfectly secure on mine with just the three. I also took the opportunity to replace the urethane hanger I put on last year for a new factory rubber one in the interest of reducing some noise transmission into the cabin. I do have some contact now between the rear section of the exhaust and my 949 rear subframe brace so when it warms up I'll pull that off again and do some clearancing with my grinder like I did before. I also found that some roadkill I ran over a while back left more residue than I thought on the underside, so I got rid of all that.

I mentioned before that the car will travel some horizontally as the QuickJack raises. In the interest of general knowledge I took some measurements to see how far it moves. The car will move 3 1/4" when putting it into the low position, that is with the locks in place. Add 1/2" of travel for those to clear to pull them out. For the high position, the car will move 10 3/8" with the locks in place. Add 1 3/4" to that when you take the locks off.

Finally, I measured 18 1/4" clearance from the bottom of my FM frame rails to the floor in the highest position. That is using the thinner rubber blocks, the thicker ones are 3" thick so will add around 1 1/2" of additional clearance.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-12-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-12-2017),Paul B (03-13-2017),tsingson (03-20-2017)

Thanks Given
    After some thought, I decided to buy a set of NB2 seats in parchment leather. While I love my Recaros, they aren't very comfortable for longer trips. Since the wife and I are headed to MATG in August I figured it would be a good buy. They should be here next week.

Still haven't heard anything from Jon Bond Performance about my supercharger despite several efforts to get in touch with them. I may need to look into options for action.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (03-17-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-20-2017)

Thanks Given
    I sent a message to JBP last night and heard back within a very short time. From what he told me this must be a busy time of year for them, plus they have had snow and illness impacting their productivity. He said mine has been disassembled and he will be in touch shortly with an evaluation.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Jarrett's Avatar
    Drives
    Emerald, 99
    Thanks Given

Jack Olsen approved! I have wanted one for a couple months because of his little review. Glad it is working well for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarrett For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (03-18-2017)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post

Jack Olsen approved! I have wanted one for a couple months because of his little review. Glad it is working well for you.
    I have no idea who he is. Good to see a video showing it in operation so folks can see how it works. I just used it to lift our CX-5 today, all wheels were clear of the ground before I even had it to the lowest locking position. Makes those tire rotations that much easier.

Received the condition analysis and repair cost estimate for the supercharger. It had bearing failure (likely due to the lack of oil, which was probably due to faulty seals), some rotor contact with the housing, a failed bypass valve and failing rotor coatings. The casing and housings can be repaired without replacement, rotors will be cleaned up and coated, the housing will be honed to remove the marks. All the consumable items will be replaced. I think I dodged a big bullet by catching it when I did. Based on their advertised turnaround time, it should be back here waiting on me when I get back home.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-20-2017),Jarrett (03-20-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-20-2017)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Jarrett's Avatar
    Drives
    Emerald, 99
    Thanks Given
    He is just a writer that drives a porsche and has a pretty neat garage. Which has its own website. http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Good news on the charger being repairable. Sorry about the downtime. And glad to hear you still have plans for MATG! I hope to meet you one day fellow banned nutcase! Tree of Shame with the two and us would give AO an entire plethora of come-backs. LOL

Peace and safe travels!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-20-2017),Slampen (03-21-2017)

Thanks Given
    I had to go back to work for two weeks so the other Chief could attend some meetings. Got home last night, but thanks to various issues the supercharger wasn't here. Supposed to show up tomorrow. In order to keep from bashing my head against the wall in frustration, I decided to get some other work done.

I went over to my storage and removed the sliders from my stock seats. Came back home and started in on the NB2 seats. First thing was to pull them out of the box. The seller packaged them very well, and even included instructions to assemble the seats (they broke them down into backs and bottoms for ease of shipping). The seat pans were discolored with the usual "rust" that you find on stock seats. In this case it was more of a patina on the metal.

I decided to hit it a lick with WD-40 and a red cooktop Scotchbright pad to remove any nastiness.

That cleaned it up somewhat. I decided for shits and grins to see what I could do with some metal polish I have, the not as rusty looking area in the middle is the result:

This is the polish:

Some day when I am bored (maybe after I retire), I'll pull them out, tear the seats down and polish away. It's nice to know I can get them that clean.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (04-04-2017)

Thanks Given
    After assembling the seats, I proceeded to clean the leather. Here's the initial views before starting:

Kind of scuzzy. Here is the result after some scrubbing with Lexol Cleaner, a microfiber cloth and a scrub brush:

Not too shabby given they are used seats. Finally, here is how they looked after some Lexol Conditioner:

Finally, the money shot with them installed:

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-04-2017),JamieH (04-12-2017),MiataQuest (04-05-2017),NCGreasemonkey (04-04-2017),Paul B (04-04-2017),tsingson (04-05-2017)

Thanks Given
    While I had my Recaros and these stock seats sitting side by side, I decided to measure just what the difference was that keeps the stock seats from hitting the B pillar area. Taking a width measurement 18" up from the bottom shows the stock seats are 16" wide. The Recaros are only 17" in the same spot, which isn't that much. The true difference lies in the cross-section of the seat backs. The Recaros are squared off and blocky, while the stock seats have a taper that gives the clearance needed. Here's pictures of the stock seat showing this clearance:

After I got the seats done (but before installing them), I changed out the interior trim in the B pillar area. This was to remove the wear shown from the Recaros, and also to get rid of the opening for the hard top side strikers. I also changed out the fog light/cruise master switch for the stocker. I had replaced it with a used one that showed less wear on the lettering, but the cruise stopped working (at this point I don't know for sure just when that transpired). I have read some information that says the switches are different between years and will cause a problem. I have already tried changing out the vacuum motor with no change in cruise operation so this is another test.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-04-2017),JamieH (04-12-2017),NCGreasemonkey (04-04-2017)

Thanks Given
    This morning I was greeted by the three best words in the English language for a car guy- "Out For Delivery."

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (04-06-2017),Paul B (04-05-2017)

Thanks Given
    She's alive! UPS showed up around noon, I had everything back together (including putting my tools away) in about an hour. Pictures will come once my wife is done with the camera memory card. The 'charger is pretty though, nice coating on the rotors now and the bypass is working. I don't know how long the old one was faulty but I was losing some boost compared to what I have now. The sound under boost seems to be a bit less, but it's still there.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-06-2017)

Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2831323334353637383940414243444548 ... LastLast