Page 40 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3033343536373839404142434445464750 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    The supercharger is finally on its way back to me. As UPS is showing it being out for delivery I decided to do some prep work so once it shows I can slot it back in. The prep work consisted of pulling my N/A setup back off, as well as cleaning out the charge pipes and intercooler. There was some oil residue inside everything downstream of the 'charger. After looking at clearances my masochistic side flared up and I figured I could pull the intercooler without removing the front bumper etc. I was successful but it was extremely tight.

Here's a shot of the passenger side bolt holding the intercooler to the mounting bracket:

I had a wee bit more room on the driver's side so it wasn't as hard getting that bolt out. Once the intercooler was removed I cleaned it and the pipes with brake cleaner until they were clean. After airing out I put the intercooler back in. When I removed it I noticed that passenger side bolt had been impacting the A/C dryer. It hadn't worn through yet but it wasn't pretty (couldn't really get a picture). The mounting bracket holes are slotted so I made sure to move it towards the driver's side to give some clearance. Not sure how good you can see it in this picture, but there is room now.

Now I just have to wait on delivery of the supercharger.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-25-2017),HarryB (04-25-2017),JamieH (04-25-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Good news; and glad you took the IC out to clean properly, would do the same myself!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (04-25-2017)

Thanks Given
    'charger showed up. I heard the UPS truck so went out to save the guy some steps. He's blabbing on the phone in the back of the truck. I wanted to go in and bitch slap him. He finally remembered he was supposed to be working and I got the package. Opened it up, there was nothing written to say what they had found. I did get a call from them last week after they opened it up, they said then they did see it was leaking from the snout but didn't find any physical cause for it. They said it might have been that the belt was too tight (I told them I had an auto-tensioner) or that the pulley didn't have well-defined ribs. Sounded like reaching to me. Based on the parts I got in the box they did go ahead and replace the seals and all the front bearings, so they do stand behind their warranty. I did buy the next larger size belt just in case the one I was using was too tight.

Got everything installed the way it should be. Fired her up and the new belt moved off center. Shut her off and installed the original 4-rib belt I got with the 'charger to see what would happen. Started her again and the belt stayed put, go figure. Just got back from a shake-down run and everything is the way it should be. I can't really explain it, but when I am running with the 'charger she feels lighter on her feet, like she is floating just above the ground. Feels more eager too, like let's go! The belt stayed where it should have so once things cool down a bit I'll try putting the 6-rib back on.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-28-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-25-2017)

Thanks Given
    I came back to work on Thursday. True to form I let myself get swamped at the end with other jobs, so I left the four-rib belt in place. It's working and my wife doesn't need all the power (so she says). I do have something planned for when I get home, stay tuned to this space to see what will transpire.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-02-2017),NCGreasemonkey (05-01-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    I came back to work on Thursday. True to form I let myself get swamped at the end with other jobs, so I left the four-rib belt in place. It's working and my wife doesn't need all the power (so she says). I do have something planned for when I get home, stay tuned to this space to see what will transpire.
    You ain't seen how late she sleeps in when she has the 'Charged NB in the lock-n-load position. LOL

Just kiddin' with ya. Nut! Hope you have safe journeys!

Peace!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-12-2017),Paul B (05-12-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Geez, Mike and I could have been twinsies?! Dawg gone bad timing!!!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-12-2017),Paul B (05-12-2017)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Damn, that looks nice. My wife could go visit her son and pick it up. Then I wouldn't have to worry about her killing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Geez, Mike and I could have been twinsies?! Dawg gone bad timing!!!
    According to my wife, the descriptive word for this is Twinkies. It is not a good thing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-12-2017)

Thanks Given
    Spent some money with Rev9 tonight. Bought two pieces, might be considered as one piece since they go together. Yes, it's a tease. Everyone reading this (all three of you) will just have to wait until I'm home shortly for pictures. That is provided shipping is as stated and the package is waiting for me.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (06-21-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (06-15-2017),HarryB (06-16-2017),MiataQuest (07-05-2017),NCGreasemonkey (06-16-2017),Paul B (06-15-2017),RustRat (06-15-2017),tsingson (06-15-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    More of these and less of these .
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (06-16-2017),NCGreasemonkey (06-16-2017),tsingson (06-15-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    And we are way more than 3 if I may add

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (06-20-2017)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    And we are way more than 3 if I may add
    That's what they all say.

Unfortunately it looks like everyone, myself included, will have to wait for a while. The parts I ordered are made to order, with a 1 1/2 month fabrication time. Rev9 sent me an e-mail asking if I still wanted the order to be processed (of course!). So if I'm really lucky, it will show up just in time for me to install it before I head back to work the next time.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-20-2017),tsingson (06-20-2017)

Thanks Given
    Made it home, only to have my laptop die the day after due to an accidental phone strike just above the hard drive (not my phone). Since I'm using my wife's POS Apple desktop I have no pictures, but I have one of those fancy non-spilling funnels awaiting use as well as some rubber flaps to put on my fan shroud (what Flyin' Miata uses on their stuff). Today I ordered some new Rival S 1.5s to replace my 5 year old Rivals. Curious to see the difference in grip for that timeframe.

I had to give her a bath the morning after I got home, because there were bird strikes on various spots. At least the weather cooperated and my wife picked me up from the airport in her, so I got a good ride home.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    "The Wife picked you up in her..." Were you 'Reborn'?

Welcome home Nut!

Those pics!

Peace!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Thanks Given
    Hey, you're alive! Now get back in your cage!

The Rivals showed up Thursday. Stupid UPS guy put them directly in front of the door. How difficult is it for someone who delivers packages for a living to understand ingress/egress (rhetorical question)? I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car this week due to preparing for a wedding, but I dropped them off with the wheels for mounting on Thursday. Picked them up Friday morning and had a little spare time so mounted them up. While everything was off I checked the brake pad wear, adjusted the rear calipers and checked all calipers to make sure they were free to move on the pins. There is enough free space to do this with the wheels off, just grab the caliper and try moving it back and forth. If it does great, your pins are lubed. I cleaned the tape residue from the old weights off and then mounted the wheels. When I dropped her down and was checking pressures I found the right front tire was flat. Pumped it up and then was off doing the last of the wedding preps I was assigned. I had my son check the tire later and it was flat again, so I told him to lift the car on the jack (I love that thing!). This morning when I finally got back home, I checked and pressure was zero. Put some air in it and using some Fantastik, I found air was leaking around the aluminum valve stem where it penetrated the wheel. Tightened that up and checked again, all seemed good. The only thing I can think of that caused that was if the tire guy loosened it to let air out of the tire (instead of removing the Schrader valve center like normal). Several hours later she was still holding air. These stems were an eBay purchase, but unlike the silver ones I bought these have worked for several years. Just to be on the safe side I went ahead and ordered a set of bronze 949 stems to replace these with.

Took the wife out to dinner tonight to try out the tires. Didn't push too hard, the wife doesn't like that (and neither does my head when she beats on it) and I need to get some miles on it to get rid of the release agent. Feel was good though. You can always tell when you have new sticky tires on by the sound of the little pebbles hitting the inside of your fenders.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 07-09-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-10-2017),MiataQuest (07-08-2017),Paul B (07-08-2017),RustRat (07-09-2017)

Page 40 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3033343536373839404142434445464750 ... LastLast