Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617182161 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Got the intake side buttoned up. Modified the M-Tuned fuel rail so that I can get the valve cover on and off easier, this consisted of beveling three areas where the bolts pass through. Used new insulators for the injectors where they go into the head. Ground down the thermostat to fit the new spacer and finished making the gasket needed so that is all closed up. Cleaned up and painted the JR header. I think I got all the peanuts blown out of the inside, I'm going to run my fish tape through it before bolting it up just to make sure.
    Fuel rail mod:
    Reroute spacer firewall clearance (I know, kind of hard to see but it's more than with the BEGi spacer):
    Modified thermostat:

Thanks Given
    Finally got a small side project finished up, although it looks like I'll have to repaint it once I get some more spray as I've already gotten some chips:

Beginning:
    Finish:

As I've said before I'm not a blingy type, while I liked the Zoom lid I didn't want all the polished metal shining at me. YellowYata said, why not paint it? Why not, indeed.

Thanks Given
    Got the driver's Recaro installed, and it fits just the way I had hoped. All that's left is to attach the seat belt receiver, I have an idea about that.

'00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Got my center cap stickers put on today:

Dropped my JR header off at the local welding place, they are cropping off the EGR tube completely as well as moving the O2 bung I'll be using for my wideband. Whoever put it on in the first place had it sitting at about the 11 o-clock position and with the MTX-L I'm using, the wire coming out of the unit would be rubbing on the tranny tunnel.

Thanks Given
    Header was picked up yesterday and painted the disturbed areas. Also painted the seat brackets. This morning I got both seats installed, everything fits and works except for the back release levers (due to interference with the seat belt receivers) but I don't need that anyway. Header was installed and torqued down, thank heavens for ratcheting wrenches as two of the bottom nuts are about impossible to tighten due to clearance issues with tubing. Moved valve shims around based on the readings I took previously, however when I measured the clearance after that some of them are still out of whack. I'll have to do those again. The rest of the day was spent removing shingles from the roof for installation of a new roof tomorrow.

Thanks Given
    Ordered the rest of the shims I need. Here's pictures of the header modifications:

EGR removal:
    O2 bung shift:

Thanks Given
    Spent most of the day yesterday helping my son with his Protege. Picked up my shims, once we were done with his car I set about finishing up my lash adjustments. Ended up with several that were over spec but it's hard to get them exact with the shims the way they are. I'll be looking into what may be available aftermarket in smaller increments. Kept working on it until I had the timing belt on, covers buttoned up and crank pulley back on. That took me to 0030 so I decided it was time to call it a day.

Edit: Forgot about the most important thing yesterday- paid her off!
    Last edited by chiefmg; 08-23-2013 at 05:42 AM.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    i have two 6an stainless steel lines for your M-Tuned fuel rail. pm me if you want them cheap.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....9149#post79149

Thanks Given
    If you go back and look at my pictures, you will see that I already have braided stainless fuel lines. In fact, I bought them from you.

Thanks Given
    Got everything back together today, and she fired right up! Took her out for a shakedown spin (dirtiness and all) and had fun. As I was leaving my driveway I couldn't figure out what the new noise was I was hearing, then figured out it was the Rivals picking up small debris which then got flung off to hit the inside of the wheel wells. Can you say sticky? After making sure everything was fine, I washed her dirty butt when I got home. Ready for a spirited cruise tomorrow, should be a fun time.

I will have to get back under the car to install the butterfly brace, the front 949 brace and the RB sway bar blocks at some point.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    99 miata
    Thanks Given
    The seat or seats for sale? The old ones? I need another tall factory seat to match mine, for some reason one of mine is a older factory seat.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse2010 View Post
    The seat or seats for sale? The old ones? I need another tall factory seat to match mine, for some reason one of mine is a older factory seat.
    I'm keeping my stock seats. The NB2 seats will be sold locally. Sorry. Try one of the breakers, I don't see your location but you can probably find one close so you don't get killed on shipping.

Cruise today was fun, I probably won't do one of those again though as I did about 430 miles total. Lots of sun and my ears are ringing from all the hours top down. The Rivals got better as the day wore on, initially they felt a little odd to me (like they were a little greasy), I didn't have any moments but I wasn't completely confident in them. On the way home, I took an exit ramp off the freeway at 55 that I normally took at 50 with the Toyos, and it felt like they had more in them.

Thanks Given
    Washed the dust and bugs from yesterday off. Adjusted my idle as I had opened the throttle body butterfly in an effort to reduce idle droop and it ended up being too much (as in, 2,000 rpm idle too much). Tightened the A/C/power steering belt as I was getting some squealing from it. Finally installed an inflatable lumber bladder in the driver's seat (picked it up off eBay a while ago) and that made the driver's side almost perfect. The only issue is with using cruise control where I am not actively moving my right leg, it tends to rest on the outer bolster where the support pipe is located and goes numb after a bit. I can move around and it isn't a problem, just something I have to be aware of. These Recaros hold me in place so well I don't have to use the dead pedal to plant my butt in the seat much at all.

Thanks Given
    Did a few small things over the past few days. Finally got the center section of my butterfly brace installed again. I forgot what a right-royal PITA that is. Also adjusted my bypass valve so it's working better, I was getting a kick in the boost like a turbo. Now it's back to being seamless. Replaced the factory sealing washer for the temperature sensor with the O-ring and backing washer the guy I bought the reroute spacer from provided. There was a small leak from the sensor, I have to check it now once it cools to see if the O-ring corrected the leak.

Edit: just checked and no more leakage from around the reroute spacer. Success!
    Last edited by chiefmg; 08-29-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks Given
    Been having some problems with the clutch on the hydraulic side. Bled the system and got a lot of air out, although it didn't seem like it was all out. Action was improved initially but then degraded again (as experienced by difficulty in getting the lever into some gears). I also tried adjusting the actuating rod at the pedal but with no change. I suspect I have some internal leakage past the piston in either the master or slave, I've ordered replacements to install when I get home.

Put on the cover I picked up off eBay before leaving this morning. It was listed as being a dealer's show-off cover, has the Mazda emblem on the front, "Get In, Be Moved" on each side and "No Peeking" on the back. It's yellow which is the one black mark against it (I know someone who might beg to differ on that point). I asked my wife what she thought of it, she said it was cute. I have to restrain myself from killing it with fire after that...

Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617182161 ... LastLast