Page 27 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1720212223242526272829303132333437 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Nice! Glad to see that your shore time is spent well.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (06-09-2016)

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
    Thanks. I plan on going to one more before I head back to work, that will allow me to renew my Mazda Motorsports membership. If my GoPro cooperates I'll have some video of that one.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (06-09-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Mmmmm! Video!
    ... Rick

Thanks Given
    As seems to be my MO, I bought a couple of items while I'm away from home. A set of Gorilla lug nuts in silver for the new wheels, and a Mazdaspeed 4-2-1 header with the flex joint. While I don't have any issue with the Cobalt I'm currently running, I figure the construction of the MS will be of higher quality and the price was right. Pictures will have to wait until I get home.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (06-17-2016)

Thanks Given
    Regular viewers of this space may want to sit down. Did some autocrossing today. Lots of fun despite driving for about 13 1/2 hours yesterday and not getting a lot of sleep. Used my GoPro as promised, here is the link to my fastest run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrXrgbI_w30

Apologies for the extended length, my son who was riding with me failed in his assigned task of turning it on and off. I had two runs after our lunch break but it rained right before we started so neither was any improvement.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (06-28-2016),tsingson (06-30-2016)

Thanks Given
    If the video blew your mind then hang on, because I have a lot (for me) of pictures from today.

Decided to get started swapping out headers, the day was nice without getting too humid so it's all done. I took a few pictures of the MS header showing the nice welds (excuse the out of focus, I took them in bright sunlight so apparently the camera didn't quite focus in well).

Inside runner:

Outside runner:

Flex joint weld:

Once I had the Cobalt off I took the same shots (well not of the flex joint since it doesn't have one).

Inside runner:

Outside runner:

You can see the welds are a little finer on the MS. It doesn't really show in the inside runner pictures, but the MS seems to be smoother there.

Here are some side by side shots for comparison:

As you can see the section on the MS where it goes down to two pipes is shorter than the Cobalt uses. That proves the Cobalt isn't a copy of the MS (in case anyone wondered).

I didn't document the removal/installation of everything because it's all been done before. One thing of note, if you have a supercharger the three front upper studs are replaced with extended studs as that is where the mounting bracket for the 'charger is attached. If you want to save yourself a lot of aggravation remove those three studs. The header slips right out when you do.

I also removed the subframe braces I have (factory and 949) to allow for ease of header manipulation. I removed the dipstick tube for the same reason.

While the O2 sensor for the wideband was out I calibrated it. Once I had that all done I went out to do some tuning. First startup gave me a nice pop out of the exhaust. Unfortunately once I got done with tuning I was getting a stutter under boost. I think I may have to be more aggressive with the throttle while tuning in order to get more boost showing so the fuel is correct.

And just in case there is any doubt, here is the money shot:

Good for at least 5 hp.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (06-28-2016),tsingson (06-30-2016)

Thanks Given
    This morning I loaded a previous save point from TunerStudio that I knew was clean. When I took a drive I was still getting the stutter under boost. A feeling of dread gripped my bowels, long-time sufferers of this thread know the last time I experienced this it was due to the head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder. I just got done pulling all the plugs and everything looks clean. The plugs have a nice grayish hue to them, and there is no sign of liquid in any cylinder. I'm leaving everything open overnight in case some moisture got into the COPs, I'll see how things are in the morning after assembly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-30-2016)

Thanks Given
    I'm happy to report I have cleared the stutter. As mentioned I didn't really see any sign of water around the COPs, I wiped them down this morning and inspected for any signs of flashover but they all looked good. Checked the plug gap and they were a little too wide so I regapped them to 0.035. I had a good drive and there was never even a hint of stuttering. Now I can do some more tuning (the gas smell under boost is back). Forgot to mention it, but it appears the 'charger pulleys are finally aligned well enough for the belt to stay put. I'm going to try putting a full 6 rib belt on to see if that is the case.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-30-2016)

Thanks Given
    Happy to report I finally got the proper 6 rib belt working on the 'charger. Time to see if I've been losing any boost pressure with the narrower belt...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (07-01-2016),Martin (06-30-2016)

Thanks Given
    No tuning today. I had to replace the hoses on a stepson's Focus (what a PITA). Still not done as the heater hoses (one of which had failed) had to be ordered from the Ford dealer. When I went to take a drive I had forgotten to plug my laptop in so it didn't have enough of a charge. Didn't stop me from a drive though. I did find out I was losing 1 psi running the cut-down drive belt for the 'charger.

I did crawl underneath and ground down the bottom of the inlet flange on my Roadstersport cat pipe. The flange is huge for some reason, the front of that pipe is supported by the header and with the flex joint on the MS it allowed it to sag enough to contact the butterfly brace. I took about 1/8" off (if you don't know, stainless is a bitch to grind), I could take some more off but that was enough for 1/16" clearance and the drive showed it was fine. My hands were filthy so no picture right now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (07-01-2016)

Thanks Given
    Haven't done much lately due to honey-dos before I go back to work. Did get out for some tuning the other day. Was out today for lunch and electric karting with a couple of my sons, rain came while I was out. She has always been a bit touchy with the MP62, but it was much more noticeable today. Guess that extra pressure from the proper belt shows even at low speeds. It was fun but something to watch for.

Signed up for autocross on Sunday, provided it doesn't rain I may have another video to post. I hear the thuds from folks dropping over.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (07-08-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Chief + video = NCG
    ... Rick

Thanks Given
    Some fun today. Had my temperature gauge go nuts as I was pulling into the lot for a cars & coffee. Nothing seemed wrong and it was fine on the way home. Then shortly before getting home I heard a new noise while boosting, sort of a rubbing metal with pfft pfft overtones. First time I looked under the hood I was concentrating on pulleys and the like. Went for a short drive and still had the noise, when I got home and looked again I found one of the clamps on the 'charger outlet hose and come loose. The metal noise was from the clamp bouncing around hitting the PS reservoir. That was a nice, simple fix.

Just got done prepping for tomorrow's autocross. One rear sway end link removed along with various and sundry other things. I'll check tire pressures in the morning and be on my way.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (07-09-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    There is always one 'scare' when you run one up for the first-time after a major change. You hit your P's and Q's but something has to go. Glad you found it quick and still for the run tomorrow.

Good luck. And have fun!
    ... Rick

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (07-10-2016)

Thanks Given
    My best run from today's autocross:

This was my next to last run, my last run was looking to be faster until I screwed up one corner and got very out of shape.

After I got home I washed the wheels then went to my storage to swap to my wife's wheels. The last one I put on had very low pressure in the tire. Got some air at a station close by, got home and tightened the metal valve stem and topped off the air pressure. Checked a while later and it was low again. A little investigation showed the screw-in part of the Schrader valve was loose (or maybe defective). Took it off so the wife can take it to the place that swapped the tires over to fix. Sucks this happened the night before I leave, but at least I found it beforehand.

Page 27 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1720212223242526272829303132333437 ... LastLast